cigarbuf

Apr 22, 2002
I just purchased an '01 220 and have discovered after the first ride that it runs very rich and sputters at low rpm. The bike has maybe 500 miles on it and I suspect that the top end has never been worked on.

Questions: Would buildup be the most likely cause of exhaust gunk and sputtering at low/mid rpm? Is cleaning the top end something a somewhat mechanically competent person could do? Finally, where is the best place to get a new/used shop manual?

I'd appreciate any advice on these subjects or anything else a new owner might need to know or watch for.

Thanks in advance

krazyk

Mar 28, 2002
If I am reading you corectly the cause of your trouble is in the fact that your bike is running rich, witch will make it stumble at low engine speeds.

The spooge from you exhaust can come from rich jetting or to much oil in the fule mix. This is just some info since you didn't say what the spects of your bike are, ie: jet sizes, mix ratio and mods you have done.

If this dosen't help you can check out some of the links from the JUST KDX web page, they have alot of good info.

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
The KDX is delivered form the factory with very rich jetting so that might well be the culprit. Check out the carb Tuning Guide on the JustKDX web page for more details, follow the link below, click on tech tips then Carb Tuning. If you run into trouble get back to us here. Depending on your riding conditions and style you’ll likely want to look at a hotter plug as well. A BR7ES works well in the 220.

Ya rich jetting is causing the gunk and sputtering. Its often called spoog. Cleaning the power valves isn’t a big deal. If you had a shop manual in hand you shouldn’t have any problems depending on your mechanical ability.

Your dealer will be able to get you a factory shop manual. Note the manual correction on the JustKDX web page before you tear into your top end, again in the Tech Tips section. You should have a look at the New Bike Prep. article while your there.

David

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom