Trimmer

May 21, 2006
I posted one of these over on TT, I'm almost finished with this conversion "adventure" it took some time, and a little head scratching, but I think we got it. My mechanic did the work with me passing on some of the knowledge from this site.

The rear wheel was a challenge since the complete set came from a KXF, instead of new carrier rings ($) he made a set of spacers for the old set-up. The rear master cylinder needed some customizing to allow for the oversized rotor to fit.

The forks worked out nice, after again making a collar to fill the small gap between the stem and the top clamp center hole. I still need to have the small addition to the stop welded on, the forks just barely touch the tank.

Thanks to all of you who posted your wisdom and pics.

kdx4.jpg

kdx3.jpg

mideastrider

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2006
I would like to know the scoop on the front end.
What forks and triple clamp did you use?
Is that original kdx front wheel or the wheel that matchs the forks?
Front brakes kdx or something else?
I have been wanting to do a fork change on my kdx.Any help would be Appreciated.
Yours looks great and its got to ride great.

Brian

Stanbagger
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 1, 2001
One of the best looking KDXs I've seen. Very nicely done. I haven't had a KDX in some time but still miss it and wouldn't mind having another one, especially that one!

Trimmer

May 21, 2006
mideastrider said:
I would like to know the scoop on the front end.
What forks and triple clamp did you use?
Is that original kdx front wheel or the wheel that matchs the forks?
Front brakes kdx or something else?
I have been wanting to do a fork change on my kdx.Any help would be Appreciated.
Yours looks great and its got to ride great.

The forks are off a 2004 KX250, Top clamp is a stock 04 KX250 clamp, bottom clamp I had to buy new, it's made by Applied to match the 04 KX set-up. The stem is the original KDX stem with an insert custom made to clean up the slop that is common with this conversion.

The wheels were from a newer KXF250 so the front axl from my KDX was too narrow, instead of spending a lot of money on new carrier rings for the Talon hub to fit the KDX axl, for $48 I bought a KX axl and everything went together fine. The KDX brake caliper lined up perfect to the KX Forks. The only problem was the rotors on the front and back are oversized, so they had to be ground down a bit so not to rub in the caliper.

The rear wheel uses the KDX axl, but with custom spacers made again fit the hubs originally made to fit a KXF.

It would have been much easier to simply order model specific excel wheels, but for the price I paid for them, the little extra customizing was still way under the price of a brand new set.

mideastrider

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2006
I can get my hands on a brand new triple clamp set for 04 kx250.
Will it work if I change the stem and make the insert or will the kx bottom clamp just not work? I will have to find the forks and a front wheel but that should not be to hard to do.Thanks for the info.

Ryan12833

Mar 4, 2006
the kx bottom clamp will work for kx forks, the kdx stem should press right in. But dont work off of a triple tree. You will go nuts. First buy a set of forks and work your way from there. A set of 04 kx forks would be nice but older kx forks (96 and up) will work just as well.

j32

Uhhh...
Jun 8, 2006
looks good kickstarter needs moved and reshaped or it will vbrate and scratch your new pipe-- then ppl will ask whats that noise lol
my k-starter is worn out and sets on the pipe thats how i know lol
cr500
i still dont know why the front end change??
could'nt you just changed the rings on the old wheels
or is it because of the tallon hubs that look so good

Trimmer

May 21, 2006
The KX bottom clamp is what you want. I only had to buy a new one because the one I gambled (bid) on was tweaked. You definitely have to discard the KX stem, then have your KDX stem pressed into the KX set-up. Search this site for how others have also corrected the play in the steering head once you have everything together. I should have taken a picture of mine before it all went back together.

As far as the forks go, you can get a good set cheap if you're patient. Definitely go with the KX front wheel just to make life easier.

Good luck.

I just realized Ryan already replied to the clamp Q...yes, what he said too...

As far as the wheels go. I got the complete set with barely a scratch in them. Rims, hubs, vortex sprocket, brand new Dunlops and the two-piece rotors with carbon fiber centers for about the price of one new complete excel rim/hub set.

socalsteve07

Mar 4, 2007
Front forks.

I have a 2001 kdx 220r. What kind of front end did you change to. I need to put a kx front end on because the origional kdx frontend cant take my abuse. If yoe have any hints please let me know. That is one Bad 220.Thank you.

krazyinski

Feb 2, 2006
400 for the work revalve and spring. works as well as the KX front end. I rode a 2006 YZ 250F the other day and I prefer my bike it just works better feels lighter and more balanced. the yz felt motor heavy and to long.

Top Bottom