buffmaster

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 11, 2001
Hey guys, I need to get a new chain and sprockets and I want to know if I should change the teeth on the back. My engine just got done by Eric w/the 2mm over kit(now a KX267) and I had the porting cleaned up, but otherwise left alone. I've just been play riding, but I'm going to start racing a little next year(MX and Hares). I've ridden pretty much everything Michigan has to offer(terrain-wise) and the bikes been great. Should I keep the gearing stock or will I get benefits from increasing or decreasing the teeth?

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Good to hear bikes running!

should be getting spudric's cylinder back from eric any day now!can't help on gearing, just don't know what them kx's feel like.

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
Well, does the bike feel o.k. to you as is?
Do you want more top speed? Or more low end grunt?

If you do want to change your gearing, you might try changing the countershaft sprocket first, to see if you like it.
(countershaft sprockets are cheaper and easier to change than the rear sprocket.)
Then if that feels better to you, go change the rear sprocket accordingly.
JMHO

buffmaster

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 11, 2001
Hey Marlin, the engine's not back yet. I'm waiting for Eric to let me know that he's got it back from US Chrome, so I'm in the same situation that you are at the moment.

O.A.S., sorry should have been a little more clear. I like it just the way it is, but w/the engine work(which I'm hoping gives me just a weee bit more power:confused: ) and the fact that I'll be racing MX & HS next year, I don't know what I'll need in regards to power delivery. At the moment, I'm assuming that the stock gearing will be fine. I was hoping someone w/some experience could let me know whether I need a little more grunt or top speed for those two disciplines, or that I'll be fine the way it is. It runs great on the trails, and did ok on a mx track I was on earlier this year. I say ok b/c I hadn't gotten my spring fix from Jeremy yet, was a little uncomfortable at first on the track and I had a hell of a time w/arm pump. Like I said, w/all that, I think I'll be fine w/stock, but was wondering if someone had any other tips/ideas.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
lUCK WAS WITH ME !

Just got eric's e-mail saying he shipped spudric's jug© he said it was cherry!!!!!!!!! and just honed it and serviced the kipps valve and cleaned up the porting a bit© so any luck maybe nexted week end it might be running©;¤

buffmaster

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 11, 2001
Lucky you. I'll probably hear from him Mon. or Tues. Then I get to make a major depletion in out account. yay:( . But at least I'll be up and running a again shortly. BTW, sorry about not getting back to you about the carb thing. My brother's being a pain in the a$$ about the whole thing.

Top Bottom