New rear tire---Need opinions on what to get for my riding conditions

rm_racer

Mar 15, 2005
Hey,
My rear tire is so bald its all most a slick, and I'm going to buy a new tire. I just dont know what kind and what compund to get for my riding conditions. I do alot of sand (beach, pits) and some hard packed gravel (a road thats being built) then some times concrete/asphalt going to and from places. I've also done some track riding the last cuple weeks which is dirt and wood chips, and I'm going to a practice on Wedsday and a MX School on Saturday, Sunday, Monday. So my question is what tire would be good for this? I just need a rear, my front is allmost perfect.

Thanks alot!

Detonator

Jul 7, 2003
Michelin M12. S12 is a better soft terrain tire, but your gravel and asphalt will wear it quickly.
Note: They are directional tires, and a lot of people stick 'em on backwards by mistake. Mine wore really well, should last a while with a 125.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I've had good luck with the IRC M5B. It's got huge knobs, hooks up great and wears like iron. I ride in everything from mud, packed dirt and rocks and it's a good balance for them all.

rm_racer

Mar 15, 2005
Thanks,
I actually have a M5B tire on right now. Thanks for the suggestions. The dealer suggested a Maxxis Maxx Cross I/T. Any oppinions on this? Right now I'm leaning towards the Michelin becasue it is a intermediate terran and I do a rather large amout of very hard pack and I would like a tire thats gonna last quite a while while still having some hook up in sand and mud.

Thanks again.

Ruff Rider

Sep 14, 2004
I went with Maxxis - got the M6001 in Febuary. Its a great off-road tire that after 20-30 hours shows very little wear with great hookup.
I doubt that this model would be perfect for u but im pleased with Maxxis. When i was searching around for what brand, most people ride Mich. and then a few with Dunalop (most people say these wear really fast) and then Chen-sing or whatever (cheap price but ok quality) and then Maxxis. It seemed like Maxxis was the brand with the least complaints.

the M6001 is a 6 ply so we got the dealer to install on the rim - all together it cost around $100 but the way its looking, i think im gonna get atleast 2 good seasons out of it

Good Luck

MONKEYMOUSE

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2001
I've allways loved the D756 for prety much anything you could throw at it.

Top Bottom