New rebuild on top and bottom not running right

tpstwf

Jan 26, 2003
I purchase a cr80 that had a new topend and bottomend done by a Honda dealer, so I am assuming that it was put together correctly. Over the weekend my son took it out on its first ride and about 20min into the ride it started making a rubbing or wering sound. At this time the bike would rev fine but at low rpm the sound was more noticeable and the bike wouldn't idle. Once the bike died it would be reluctant to start and you had to use a little more kick than I should, seems like there is really high compression or something is dragging. I wasn't sure if the bike had been broke in before we got it so we went through that process prior to sending him out on the bike. Any ideas before on what I should be looking for when I take this thing apart?

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
Sounds like a seizure of some sort....Id check to see if the rings seated correctly. Just take her fully apart...Top and bottom or bring it back to the shop and demand they at keast look at itb for you since they did the work they should stand over it!

tpstwf

Jan 26, 2003
Nothing major, #*%%@)%!

Took the engine apart this weekend. I knew it wasn't good when I seen the top of the piston all beat up and there were metal shavings all over. Once I got the cylinger off, which was quite a chore, I found the problem, the crank bearing and spacers were destroyed. I am going to contact the Honda dealer that done the work. Not sure what they will do or have to say since the work was done for the guy I bought it from. I have a feeling when they done the bottom end rebuild they just replaced seals and bearings and didn't touch the crank. Man, I just love buying used bikes. :bang:

Top Bottom