nickman1209

Dec 29, 2006
hello everyone i have some questions. i am new and i just got a yz 125. im not too bad at shifting gears but i need some help about how to shift gears better. i also ask when im goin slow or stopped and in first and have the clutch in i have problems gettin back into first because im not very good at shifting what is a good way to get goin. i also am goin to a track and trails soon and need about what i need to do to help me when im there like how to practice on tracks and how to ride good. thank you and please help me on my questions

MX86

Dec 27, 2006
1. practice between shifting from 1st to nuteral and vice versa (big for trails)
2. Practice shifting between 1st and second.. then find nuteral
3. Slowly ride around practicing stopping and starting.
4. practice shifting through all gears. (wide open fields are good for this)

for track riding. go out when not a whole lot of people if possible. go on to the track and try to keep out of everyones way. and just go faster as you feel comfterable

nickman1209

Dec 29, 2006
thnks

hey thanks man but im not like goin to high in gears and im not downshifing too high but when im learing to use the clutch and i mess up or kill the motor is it tearing my bike up.
and do u have any pointers to get goin into nurtral to first quicker i usually start out real slow

MX86

Dec 27, 2006
nah it won't tear the bike up, just keep changing the clutch oil (tranny)

it takes practice. there's no trick to help, it's just learn when the clutch engages and disengages. practice practice practice ;)

just_a_rider

Jul 25, 2006
Just put it in first give it a little throttle to keep it from stalling and slowly let out on the clutch. As far as up shifting and down shifting, you can do that with or without the clutch, some do some don't, I don't --- Braaaaaaaaaap! You might orta consider getting a little more practice at home before venturing out to the nearest track. Practice cornering using a figure 8 pattern and you will see that just this simple procedure will get you use to that bike in a hurry. Before you get a wild idea about jumping something you might wana check out some jumping tips or get some body to help coach you, (((SAFETY FIRST )))) GL :cool:

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
MX86 said:
try to keep out of everyones way
This does not mean pull over to get out of the way. Make no sudden moves, be predictable, the faster riders will find their way around you.
There are threads covering most of what you have asked, search them out. I remember first trip to the track and clutch or no clutch coming up in the last few months.

MX86

Dec 27, 2006
FruDaddy said:
This does not mean pull over to get out of the way. Make no sudden moves, be predictable, the faster riders will find their way around you.
There are threads covering most of what you have asked, search them out. I remember first trip to the track and clutch or no clutch coming up in the last few months.

yeah forgot that. keep on a predictable path... or signal to them which way you want them to go. :bang: nothing would piss a rider off more then if you pulled a bubba :yell:

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
You should get in the habit of shifting down as you slow down so that you are always in the correct gear when/if you decide to speed back up. If you do that, you'll always be in 1st or 2nd when you stop.

As far as finding neutral...because of clutch drag and transmission design, some bikes are harder than others to get into neutral. With some bikes it is almost necessary to kill the motor then rock the bike back and forth while trying to find neutral.

Make sure you go with experienced riders and follow them and their advice.

Yz250FinAZ

Dec 15, 2003
High Lord Gomer said:
Make sure you go with experienced riders and follow them and their advice.

You have no idea how much that little adive Gomer says is actually true nickman1209.

When i first started riding a while back, i would always ride w/ older people. My dad whos been riding forever, taught me a lot, and always ridign with more experienced, faster riders, improves your skill as well because you'll know what to do in certain situations on a trail, how fast to go on a certain section on the track etc...

trailqueen

Dec 30, 2006
For trail riding, practice, practice and then practice some more. You'll get better. I'm not a racer, but you've gotten some good advice for track etiquette and safety. Always think about the other guy/gal whether track or trails.

CHR!S

Jun 30, 2006
when i go from fast to stopped, i usually just pull in the clutch and tap the shifter until im in first while im braking.

Top Bottom