groo08

Aug 9, 2004
To make a longer story short, I went riding for the first time and got hooked and ended up buying a used bike out of state. Not knowing any better, I purchased a KDX with only a bill of origin and bill of sale from a second owner. When I went to register it, i realized there was a lienholder on it and couldn't get the title. I have no way of getting in contact with the original owner, and I am trying to get in contact with the seller. I am extremely bummed about the entire situation being my first bike, and I really don't know what to do. Here is what I do have. Original owner's name and address, Second Owner's name, address, and dl#. I'm hoping someone can help me through this entire fiasco.

Mike_socal

Oct 1, 2003
Does the lienholder still hold any interest in the bike? I assume it's some sort of finance company. Maybe all you need is the lienholder to sign off that there is no longer a lien against the bike.

groo08

Aug 9, 2004
I talked to the lienholder, and they can't release any of that information to the public. I tried to weasel my that by asking if there was anything alarming concerning the account. I came away with the feeling that the bike may be paid off. I asked them the process on a lien release, and they said they could only do that for the person on the account which is the original owner. I am going to call the dealer tomorrow where the original owner bought the bike from to see if i can get the original owner's contact information. Any other tips?

groo08

Aug 9, 2004
whitepages did the job. I got my lien release form faxed to me and I'm all set to head back to dmv! thanks everyone for your help. :yeehaw:

fred2

Sponsoring Member
May 10, 2001
groo08,

Congrats on getting the release. I had no idea you were having trouble with registering your bike. Hopefully you can get it done and through with.

Have you ridden it yet? Can't wait to see you rip up some dirt.

You wrote me sometime ago about your friend getting an AZ KDX? How's that going?

groo08

Aug 9, 2004
Hi fred2, this is the same bike. After going to the DMV, they told me they won't accept a copy of the lien release. I had to go take a dmv lien release form to the finance office for them to fill out. Luckily there was one that was close by. The second problem was the dmv needed an odometer disclosure statement. My bike doesn't have a odometer, but maybe they'll plate it? So, I'm gonna get the odometer discloser form filled out by the seller and hope i get lucky and get some plates for the bike.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
groo08 said:
I am extremely bummed about the entire situation being my first bike, I'm hoping someone can help me through this entire fiasco.

groo08.

Stick with it. It can be done.

Tell them the bike is an enduro type bike and does not come with an odometer. Just leave the little box on the form blank. I had the same problem when I registered my CRF450. I had to take a copy of their own directive #888 into dmv and show it to them. They all looked at it like they had never seen it before. :bang:

You can download a copy of the directive from the dmv website.

When they hand you your license plate, try not to look too overjoyed until you get out into the parking lot. :yeehaw: :yeehaw:

Top Bottom