dingoe

Feb 13, 2003
a454elk, I have a CHP question and I was hoping you could help. A few weeks ago we purchased another 50 for our youngest son. He was riding a 2003 KTM -50 with a Red Sticker and this time we got him a Polini 2001 X3-works 50 and it should get a green sticker. We'll I don't have a title for it, just the bill of origin from the first owner and a bill of sale from the second owner. So I'm working on getting a bill of sale from the first to the second owner to complete DMV requirements. In addition DMV requested that I go to CHP for a VIN verification. So the bike went to the Oceanside CHP for that process the officer there said that the bike checks out, but he did not fill out the DMV identification verification paperwork. MY wife went to get the process done and she didn't really know what to say or ask. I contacted the officer and he indicated that it is a dirt bike for closed corse competition and that DMV will not register it. He indicated that he did not complete the forms due to that fact. I tried to explain that all of our dirt bikes are for CC-competition and that we get Green or Red stickers based on DMV's process. He just kept saying that the bike is a dirt bike and not registerable. He did agree to contact the Sacramento Special Processing unit when I provided the phone, but I have yet to hear back.

Have you ever seen this type of issue before? or do you know of any new measures to not register dirt bikes.

I truly believe that the officer is just miss informed on this issue and I'm on the loosing end. DMV said that they will not complete my processing until I have the CHP sign-off. I've already paid DMV too.

Any input would be helpful.

Thanks

Ed

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
He is misinformed, correct. He should just be verifying the VIN as it stands, not determining if it gets registered. You aren't trying to get street registration for it and even if you were, he should just be verifying the VIN. He needs to be called and told that all you are doing is getting a Ca title for it, which will get you a green sticker. What's his name, sometimes they have peeps from other areas working there to do Vin's? Unfortunately, you ran across someone that does not understand the process, no bashing, just misinformed that's all. :)

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
i think Elk should sort this out, you know the personal DRN touch. afterall, this is why we pay our taxes right???? :) :nener: hey-look at all them bikes hes got, we must be paying too much tax, LOL!!!! :)

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Bite me Brit!! You don't want my influence, he'd be walking out with plates for that thing! lol

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
thumbs said:
Try another CHP office/officer

And offer him a beer and some Krispy Kreme's, Also tell him those mirrored sunglasses are back in and are all the rage :moon: :laugh:

dingoe

Feb 13, 2003
Guys, Thanks for all the replys and input. Sorry I've been away form the page for a few days. I ended up contacting the Temecula Office and the Vin Officer there said it would be no problem to Vin inspect the bike. And he had knowledge of the Polini's. I was set to take it to Temecula this Friday. In the meantime, the Oceanside Officer contacted Sacramento DMV special processing unit and must have been informed that it was Ok. He never really told me what Sac DMV told him, but he said bring the bike back and he'd apply a engine number sticker to the case and complete the paperwork on the vin. As I type this my wife that I owe a big thanks to, is sitting at the CHP office getting the bike processed.

So it looks like it's going to workout in the long-run. I truly believe that the Oceanside Officer was confusing this bike with those things they call Pocket Bikes. I was told by DMV Special Processing that they are causing a big problem with the whole 50cc bike registration and that all 50cc's are being look at very carefully now. All I know is that it's been a long process and I just want it to end. Not to mention that I had to play P.I. and locate the first owners prior address and go through this whole bill of sale issue.

Word of caution, if you by a race bike without a title, make the seller produce all owner bill of sales prior to giving him the cash. The guy we got this bike from has been helpful, but once he couldn't find the first owner he really couldn't help me anymore.

I go to look at a Team Plano Honda this weekend and you can bet, I'll get all of the papers upfront if we get it.

Anyway sorry for the long post, thanks again to all.

Ed

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Glad it worked out for you, but I'm confused as to why they would need to apply a tag to the engine? The engine should have it's own engine number from the factory, if it doesn't, then yes they need to put one there, but they never stick, you can't drill them in. Not sure what he's talking about but he may be new at it. Hope it works out in Temecula, good luck!

dingoe

Feb 13, 2003
a454elk, The bike came without any number on the case. So the officer placed a new number on the case and it was a sticker. It'll most likely come off over time, but the vin should hold. The bike only had the last 4 numbers on the vin on the frame, so they affixed a vin plate to the frame too.

So that's complete, now we are waiting for the first bill of sale and then with hope DMV will give it the green sticker.

Thanks again for the input.

Ed

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Ah, gotcha, makes sense. Good news!

Top Bottom