New Rider Question?

stormwhisper

Jan 29, 2003
Please be patient with me....I may ask some simple questions...being a first time bike rider. I just received a dirt bike and find it alittle on the large size, weight and height. Its a Honda XL 175...given to me from a friend. I was wanting a dirt bike for riding up into the hills on logging roads....not looking for it to be use on the main street... that was a four stroke....straight gas and not having to do any mixing of oil and gas...also something on the quieter side. My question is?? Could someone give me some ideas on a smaller bike with the needs that I am looking for? Four stroke!

Thanks for any help!

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
This should have been in the which bike forum, but it'll be moved no doubt ;)
Not sure of the size of the XL, but a small range (in my mind for someone around 5'-5'4") is the Suzuki DRZ125, Kawasaki KLX125 (same bike, different colours), Yamaha TTR125. They're all around the same height & weight. The TTR has been around a year or two longer than the others. A new bike out is the Honda CRF150/230, which are both smallish bikes.

Your best bet is to go to a Honda/Kawasaki/Suzuki/Yamaha shop & look around. Those might be a bit small (height, weight helps us try to help you) but can be got in both small & big wheel versions (except the Hondas).

The bigger the bike, the better it'll be for logging roads, so get as big a bike as you feel comfortable on. Another one to look at is the Gas Gas Pampera, but it is two-stroke (mild-mannered, but still need to mix oil & gas).
Hope that helps some

limitless

subscribed
~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
My question is how can info about wich biketo get be givin without knowing the age\weight of the person? I have no idea how big you are; therefore, I couldn't tell you if a klx125 would be to small or if an xr250 would be to big....... Can you give more info please?

edit - The best way to find the best bike for you is to go ride some different bikes. Since you are a beginner you'll have a huge learning curve, so get a bike that isnt really easy to handle,but at the same time dont get a bike you cant hardly ride.

BTW - Welcome to the boards!! :yeehaw:

Last edited:

beer_stud_76

Mod Ban
Aug 30, 2002
the best small quiet bike out there is the yamaha TTR125.

however, you didn't really give us enuf information to give you a solid reccomendation. hieght? weight? age? physical condition?

jeremiah

stormwhisper

Jan 29, 2003
Thanks for the responses.....alittle more information, I can do that..

Female
Height 5'2"
Weight 140 lbs
Physical fit...

stormwhisper

Jan 29, 2003
Just a add on.......

I'm not looking to purchase a new bike....perhaps something in the late 80's or early 90's???

Thanks once again!

limitless

subscribed
~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
I think the ttr125 would be a good choice for you - since your not buying new I suggest you ask if you can ride before you buy..... If they say no there's prolly a reason (+ you can see how you like it.... Remember don't buy one that you'll grow out of next week)

P.s. Anyone have any good info on the crf150(for her)?

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Don't forget about the CRF 150! It's pretty cool, I rode one and thought it was just as good or better than a TTR 125.

beer_stud_76

Mod Ban
Aug 30, 2002
storm -

how much do you have to spend? a 10+ year old bike usually isn't the way to go (just ask me). used 99-01 TTR125's commonly sell for $1,500or so (US). at your size there just isn't a better bike.

the crf150 is a great bike, but they are not widely available used, and they are about 20lbs heavier than the TTR.

jeremiah

TMax

Nov 4, 2002
A bike from the 80s or early 90s is going to have a little more weight to it than current models. I understand you not wanting to spend money on a new bike.

IMHO, the best thing for you to do is pick up a trader mag, start visiting and test riding. No one is going to know what fits you, but you.

TMax

beer_stud_76

Mod Ban
Aug 30, 2002
i was thinking...

if you want stone reliability and don't care about going super fast, you'd fit nicely on a XR100, and they are 'zactly the same now as 10 years ago, and finding a good one in the $500-$1000 (US) range should be easy.

jeremiah

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…