New Rider With Questions About Street Bikes!

mischi_punk

Aug 2, 2004
I would recomend the 600rr. It is a really nice bike and they can be ahd for relitively cheap. I have two friends with them. One is 6' 3" and not too smart. He crashed it being careless turning and almost hit a car. When he is being careful, its a great bike. My other friend Is only 5' 8" and is pretty level headed. He started out the way you should (and seem to be so far) He has had his bike for 3 years and never went over 80mph until he had it for almost a year. Defineatly have your friend ride it home for you, that is the best thing to do. Have fun and play it safe! Also, know that Street and dirt bikes are 2 totally diferent worlds.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
WOW, I only pay around $400/year per bike for insurance. Taking into consideration that I am into the comfort of the cruiser market, I only pay around 3g for two cars and a truck. Call around, I think you can do better. In case you care, I'm with progressive, and I have seen the recent posts concerning them. Good luck.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
mischi_punk said:
I would recomend the 600rr. It is a really nice bike and they can be ahd for relitively cheap.

The RR is a bad option. RR stand for 'Road Race' or 'Race Ready.' If you're getting the CBR600, look at the F4i, it's a little tamer. I still tend to agree with the others about looking at a SV650 or something similar. You say you are level-headed, etc and while I'm not going to call your bluff, I will tell you that most likely if the temptation is there (ie tons of power in the upper RPMs on the CBR) that chances are you will end trying it. I love the looks of crotch-rockets, but I definitely think that beginners should look elsewhere for a first bike.

Think of it this way, in the dirt you don't start someone off on a full-blown race bike usually, so why try on the street where it's more dangerous (watch out for old grandmas who can't see over the dash!)?

C

CaNaDiAn,Eh?

Just one more thing about the CBR, I guess if you decide to get it then that's your choice, and it doesn't seem like you are going to be swayed from it. But just be warned that you are going to have to be so careful when you start riding it. You have pretty much never ridden before and if you somehow slip up and grab a handful of throttle by accident because you slipped or were suprised or something you could be in big trouble. Whatever you decide, it's up to you, in the end you're the one that was to be happy with what you are riding.

Jamir

I come and go
Aug 7, 2001
Thumpitythumpity said:
Bad idea for first street bike:
http://www.hayabusa.org/
Better ideas for first street bikes:
http://www.motorcycletouringineurope.com/motorcycles.html
The guys here would likely just put knobbies on the Hayabusa, junk the fairing, and call it a dual sport.
Good luck!

I kid you not, I have seen a Ninja 250 with knobbies on it and it was ridden in a hare scramble. It looked it too. I have no idea what the motive was but I would have loved to have seen it in action!

BossTweed

Feb 7, 2006
CaNaDiAn said:
Just one more thing about the CBR, I guess if you decide to get it then that's your choice, and it doesn't seem like you are going to be swayed from it. But just be warned that you are going to have to be so careful when you start riding it. You have pretty much never ridden before and if you somehow slip up and grab a handful of throttle by accident because you slipped or were suprised or something you could be in big trouble. Whatever you decide, it's up to you, in the end you're the one that was to be happy with what you are riding.

Canadian:

Thank you for your concern. You have been very helpful in your posts. I realize that you are right in what you are saying about the handful of throttle. I was wondering if this just pertains to the cbr? Couldn't I make the same mistake with a sv650, or is it much duller with the throttle sensitivity? Also what do you guys think about CBR rr and CBR F4i. Between the two I really have no preference, but it was posted earlier that the F4i would be a better choice for a beginner. Is this true and how much better would it really be (is it enough to only look at F4i or will it be about the same). What are the differences between starting with an RR vs starting with a F4i.
Also Canadian it is not true that I cannot be swayed. I am perfectly open to other bikes such as the SV650. You are right that I am leaning towards the cbr, but that does not mean that I cannot be swayed. I have already sat on a SV650 and I actually really liked it.

My Plight:
I really only have the funds to buy one bike. The insurance from AAA (yes I have to do research on other companies but so far I am going by this) shows the SV650 to actually cost more for comprehensive and almost the equal amount for liability. That being said the used SV650s and CBRs have been in a similar price range (granted that the 650s do come cheaper). So it boils down to which bike I prefer without much regard to cost. What I like in the CBR is the style, it really looks a lot better then the SV650. Even though looks are not everything they are a part of buying a bike. I also like the "honda reliability," dirt bikes and honda cbr owners I have talked to have not had much to say in the ways of problems mechnically. In the 650s favor I really like the better comfort factor. So I guess I will have to keep considering the pros/cons of both until I get some experience with both bikes. If any of you fellows that have had experience with both bikes could give me a breakdown of what you think the pros/cons for a beginner would be between the bikes (are there things I am overlooking?) that would be great.

Also the guy at the shop said that he thinks a younger male such as myself would not have a problem riding a cbr for 100-200 miles. He said there is initial discomfort if you have never ridden a street bike for the first 2-3 weeks of riding, but after that your muscles adjust and you should be able to ride the aforementioned distance without too much trouble. Is this true?? Are cbrs really that unbearable for extended periods?

Thanks Guys!!
Keep up the great info!

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
I've been riding a number of years. Got my MC endorsement at age 14. My first street bike was a 81 Seca 750, the forerunner to the modern crotch rocket. MX547 is right about the 100 mph thing, I would do the same thing(and have). My wife won't let me have a sport bike but I can and do have a cruiser. Just traded the 102ci Warrior for a 1100 V-Star so the wife could enjoy it as well.
You seem to have the right lines of thought just don't forget them when you stradle the bike you get. Speed is addictive, easy to achieve, and easy to come to nasty stop. Comfort, balance, and experience will lead you to the best overall machine for your style. BTW, I'm either winning a SX or taking the checkered flag at Mid Ohio every nite in my dreams, I don't get the big pay check, the trophy girl or the broken bones and scrapes either.

C

CaNaDiAn,Eh?

I totally understand only having enough funds for one bike, it's an unfortunate situation isn't it haha. You are absolutely right that you could make the same mistakes with the SV but the SV is going to be a bit tamer and less likely to eat you alive if you do something wrong, but it is definitely not going to be a dog. I just know of quite a few people who have started off on a 600 sportbike and ended up underestimating it and overestimating their abilities and completely trashing it.

As I said before, if there is anyway you can take the MSF course and get your license first, then you could actually take these bikes for a ride before you buy them, then you would know what you liked to ride and what you didn't/

BossTweed

Feb 7, 2006
Canadian-

Yeah I am taking the msf course march 4th and 5th if everything goes planned. I will also get my license shortly after (again if all goes well). So I will be able to test ride bikes. I am very worried, however, that since I have never ridden a street bike that I could mess up a bike test riding it. If you stay in the low 10-20 mph range is it still easy to drop/thrash a bike? A little hesitant but test riding is definetely the way to go.

thanks

tyesai

Nov 4, 2004
BossTweed said:
Canadian-

So I will be able to test ride bikes. I am very worried, however, that since I have never ridden a street bike that I could mess up a bike test riding it. If you stay in the low 10-20 mph range is it still easy to drop/thrash a bike? A little hesitant but test riding is definetely the way to go.

thanks

I have never seen anyone allowed to test ride a bike except at major events like the honda hoot, bike week, ect.

Is it still easy to trash a bike at 10-20mph? You won't trash it, but my Busa fell over once will I was attempting to put it on the rear stand by myself. It actually didn't fall, it started to get away from me, I got around to the side of it, and I couldn't hold it up and keep from hitting the ground so I just kind of layed it down on it side. It cracked the fairing. I lucked out and found one on **** for about $300, that was cheap, oem was something over $500 if I remember correct.

C

CaNaDiAn,Eh?

Are you serious about the test drive thing? That's weird, my dad has never bought a bike new or used without taking it for a test drive first.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
If you are licensed, you can often test ride a used bike. But, since a lot of dealers don't hook up the battery or fill the fluids until the bike sells, most that I know will not allow a test of a new machine. If you are prepared to buy, with cash in hand, you might get an exception.

BossTweed

Feb 7, 2006
I am still curious if anyone could break down the difference between the f4i and RR to me.

Also I have been checking out cbrs on craigslist and most of the bikes are 2-3 hours drive from my location. If I found a bike at a good price, but it was two hours away I would probably how to haul it up to my location. My question is how I would load it onto our truck (dodge one ton) and would I need to have some type of loading tracks. Do you also have to literally drive the bike up into the bed of a truck or can you roll it (seems like it would be hard to roll a 400 lb bike but it would be much easier). Finally how do you stabilize a street bike once it is in the back of the car (tire stands, do I need to buy some?)
Thanks

john3_16

May 17, 2004
I would not..I repeat would not recommend a street bike as a first bike...I've been riding for over 20 years and have a pretty good deal of experience racing like many here..

In 2002 I bought my first street bike which was a 2001 RC51...And even with so many years of riding it can not prepare you for what you'll encounter on the street...What the experience did help with was making it possible for basic motorcycling skills to be like 2nd nature and limiting what I had to think about while riding.

I would recommend buying a dirtbike first..get some track time..Get some lessons from an experienced motocrosser and develop your skills for at least 6 months with a minimum riding frequency of 2 days per week before you attempt to get on the street...

On the road you are surrounded by people in cars that are zoned out behind the wheel that have a habit of changing lanes without looking over their shoulder...They aren't having to concentrate as hard as you...They're relaxed in a big comfy seat, no wind blasting in their face at 65 mph, the radio going, talking on their cell phone, and don't have to concentrate on keeping their balance. Blasting down the highway and a car changes lanes and runs over a small chunck of re tread and it comes hurling at your neck at 100 mph (your speed plus the velocity that their rear tire shoots it at you). Can you duck and miss it without losing control ? Can you dodge it quickly while being prepared in advance by knowing that you have a large pocket of free space around you to change lanes into ?

I could go on and on...There is so much that goes on out on the road that you never notice or realize as a car driver until you spend some time out on the roads for a while on a bike...And so much more that you have to be aware of.

Need I mention drivers that aren't considerate of your safety even when they are aware that you are near them ? Tailgating, changing lanes when they barely have room, and pulling out in front of you are just a few examples that represent a TOTALLY different experience than if it happens to you in a car...

You don't think much about it when people throw their cigarettes out the window until they do it when you're behind them on a bike...

I would just like to urge extreme caution before considering a streetbike as a first bike....

CPT Jack

~SPONSOR~
Jun 27, 2000
BossTweed said:
I am still curious if anyone could break down the difference between the f4i and RR to me.

Do your internet research for this.

IMO you have NO business on a replica racer. The f4i is much more forgiving and has plenty of power. I agree w/ John3-16 that dirt is definitely the way to start. Why? because it teaches you to work all the controls w/o thinking about 'em. This means clutch, shifter, Front brake, rear brake. You'll have enough to worry about without having to think of these.

This is how fast sh@t can happen
Click: Video
this video is from 3 days ago and this is a very experienced rider. If you're not 2nd nature, you're done.

FYI:
Forum where this girl tells the story.
http://www.socalsportbikes.info/xmb/viewthread.php?tid=34948

And stay of the repli-racers!

g/l

BossTweed

Feb 7, 2006
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the video link, I have been watching a lot of crash videos just to remind myself how dangerous this really is. The good thing is that I live in a rural area and do not have any 4 lane freeways (the most I would be driving would be 55 mph on a 2 lane highway). While this doesnt guarentee any more safety, it seems that drivers up here are WAY less agressive and speedy then in the bay area (there isn't a lot of traffic or reason to speed). Plus we have police all over the place which helps regulate the traffic. This being said it does not mean I will avoid an accident, just helps because there is a big difference between a 65 mph 4 lane freeway (like 80 in california) vs a 50-55 mph 2 lane highway with minimal traffic). I have been going out to my friends houses on the weekends and riding dirtbikes. I am starting to get a pretty good feel for it and have only had one slip up (crashed into a bush after trying to go around a concrete roundabout twice). It was going only about 4 mph so I walked away with only a few scratches. I am going out again this next weekend and will definetely frequently practice on the dirtbikes.

Thanks for the input, and I realize that starting on a streetbike is not ideal. However I have been reading this forum and many others and it seems if you really take your time and do your due diligence with riding that it is possible.

If I got a bike the breakdown of practice will go like this.

1) pick up bike with either truck or have friend ride it home
2) go to local parking lot early day or later evening and practice for an hour 3 times a week for a month.
3) finally after a month of 3 times or more a week begin to ride in the backstreets for the next month 3 times a week
4) by the third month venture out into higher speed for the first half month
5) second half ride on the local 1 lane highway for short stints

So during these 3 months I believe I would get great experience. This coupled with my frequent dirtbike work should make it possible.

Another rule is not to exceed 55 mph during the first 3 months.
Another rule is NEVER to attempt any stupid stunts such as stoppies, wheelies, exct.
Finally NO passengers for at least the first year if not more

If I adhere to these I think that I could be ok. Anything else I should add? (P.S. yes I will wear full gear always)

BossTweed

Feb 7, 2006
Well Been A While Since My Last Post!

Anyhow so here is the deal.
I bought my first bike... "drumroll"
Didn't go street, took what you guys said to heart and bought a dual sport 400CC 2k4 Suzuki DRZ with 1200 miles on it. Like new, not too expensive.

Thanks for all your input, I didn't feel like I was ready or prepared to make the street move.

I went to sit on a few cbr f4is, those bike just seem to damn heavy and too damn uncomfortable for a beginning rider like myself. The DRZ is at my house now for the first day, and I putzed around in 1st gear and really enjoyed it.

Thanks to all those who warned against the street, I listened..

AssistSuper

Apr 4, 2005
I was reading this entire thread and the entire time I kept thinking about the DRZ supermoto bike and how much I want one. Ha!

Congrats on the new toy. IMO it's a great starter bike for street.

Street riding is most definately a different world. I've been out on the street only a couple times and it definately takes skill and quick reflexes to not get yourself killed.

Look into a nice helmet and a jacket. Just because your not on a sport bike doesn't mean you still can't go down very hard and lose large chunks of skin.

I've ridden a KLR 650 a couple times and it was a blast on the street. Dual Sports are cool.

You've got the rest of your life to ride. You can pick up that shiny new GSXR when you you've got the cash, the experience and the skill to handle it safely.

Ride carefully! :ride:

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Congratulations on the new bike, take it easy for the first month, and always watch out for the box dwellers on the road. Imagine the dumbest, least responsible, most painful thing they could possibly do, and prepare for it to happen. You could be next to their window looking right at a combover when all of a sudden, lanechange. I see that you are scheduled for MSF this weekend, learn much and have fun. And if you are ever riding in NW Georgia, let me know, I know where there are a couple of beautifully winding roads out here.
Oh yeah, I read your itenerary for training, let comfort be your guide. You should definitely ease your way into more populated riding, but if you feel confortable with taking off, turning, and stopping in the parking lot, Go ahead and spend a little time on the neighborhood roads. I spent about 20 miles doing low speed driveway stuff (10th mile straight) practicing weaving, u-turns, starts, stops, etc, before heading out to the smaller roads. After 300 miles I passed the GA riding test and was licensed for unrestricted riding. I still hate riding on the Interstate.

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
Congrats on your new bike.

I think you made the right choice :ride:

One little tip....Make sure you cancel your blinker after you turn. Besides looking like a dork (been there) oncoming cars might think you are turning and pull in front of you (been there too)

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Useful info for the future--Tire manufacturers use a release agent when molding tires that can cause you to lose traction. Always take it easy and gradually work your way into deeper leans for the first 100 miles on new tires.

Top Bottom