Canadian144

Feb 24, 2008
Sorry if there are a million posts like this... :bang:

1) your physical size (both height and weight are important) 5'9 180lbs and growing (I'm 14)
2) How physical / aggressive are you ? Not very much.
3) what do you plan to ride- ????? Trails, around our cottage, fields, and occasionally on a track
4) Do you have any riding experience? Currently getting into powersports with my 90cc ATV, will probably upgrade to a Yamaha Wolvy 450 later. Never rode a bike though.
5) Do you think you will race ? no
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? No, but willing to learn some basics, and my dad is mechanically inclined
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? No, but I like Yamaha ATV's....
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? One large ATV dealer that also carries Yamaha and Honda bikes, but using the "find a dealer" website on most other brands websites reveals that there are dealers for other brands nearby
9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike? Hopefully under 5 g's (used is an option)
10) Do you live in California? No
11) anything else that you think would help form an opinion

I've rode my ATV a few times, but always wanted a dirtbike, and I'm gonna get a job this summer so I can buy one. I was looking at the Yamaha TT R 125LE, but I don't know how long it will last, since the engine isn't that large, I'd want more power. The TT R 230 seems like an option, but they don't make an "LE" version. Those bike are all under 5 g's new (Canadian $$ obv.), but I could get a used YZ bike for about the same price. I haven't really looked at bikes other than Yamaha's since I really like the Yamaha ATV's (good quality, nice engines, and durable).

Last edited:

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
The L in the 125 is for Large Wheel, the E is for E-Start. You are too big for the TT-R unless you want it as a play bike/pit bike. The big question I have is how big an issue would the noise of the bike be around the cottage? I know if I brought our race bikes to our cottage the neighbors would be freaking out.

With a budget of 5K you will pretty much be able to buy anything 1 year old used unless you live in Alberta where used bike prices seem a bit over the top.

If the noise at the cottage is no issue then I'd look for a nice 1 year old 125 of what ever color you prefer. If the noise is going to be an issue I'd try to find a nice used Honda CRF250X of Yamaha WR250F. The TT-R230 is an overweight, underpowered under suspended pig of a machine that never belongs anywhere near an MX track so If that is even a remote consideration for you stay away from this bike.

Canadian144

Feb 24, 2008
Chili said:
The L in the 125 is for Large Wheel, the E is for E-Start. You are too big for the TT-R unless you want it as a play bike/pit bike. The big question I have is how big an issue would the noise of the bike be around the cottage? I know if I brought our race bikes to our cottage the neighbors would be freaking out.

With a budget of 5K you will pretty much be able to buy anything 1 year old used unless you live in Alberta where used bike prices seem a bit over the top.

If the noise at the cottage is no issue then I'd look for a nice 1 year old 125 of what ever color you prefer. If the noise is going to be an issue I'd try to find a nice used Honda CRF250X of Yamaha WR250F. The TT-R230 is an overweight, underpowered under suspended pig of a machine that never belongs anywhere near an MX track so If that is even a remote consideration for you stay away from this bike.

Thanks. I'll stay away from the TT-Rs then. I don't think the neighbors will mind: one of them has a fairly loud riding mower (like you can hear it inside our cottage loud), so if we can live with his mower then he should be able to live with the bike!

We're actually looking to buy a new cottage so I'll see what the new neighbors are like before buying anything I guess.

Just a question, where is a good place to look for bikes? I've seen some listed on Autotrader.ca, anywhere else that you would recommend for a used bike?

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
What part of Canada are you in? As far as years to avoid since you are working with a 5k budget you should be able to get one within a year or two old at worst so there was no huge issues of concern for any of the brands that I am aware of.

Canadian144

Feb 24, 2008
I'm in Ontario. I said that I was looking at spending about 5k, but around 3k might be more realistic (all depends on how much money I make this summer, I will probably be able to split the cost with my parents). I've founds a few bikes on Autotrader.ca that look decent... what is your opinion on these?

2001 KAWASAKI KX 250 - $2,800 - Twin air filter, Tag bars & upper clamp. NEW Parts: FMF pipe & silencer (Power Core II), wheel bearings, ASV levers, DP clutch, DP brakepads, Kenda tires (Millville). Well maintained. Great Holeshot bike.

2002 YAMAHA YZ 250 - $2,700 - YZ250 with new pro circuit pipe,dvs graphics,seat cover,5 hrs on new top and bottom end and comes with new tires. Bike never raced.

2003 YAMAHA YZ 250F - $3,199 (no mods)

2001 HONDA XR 400 ENDURO - $2,900

2002 HONDA XR650-R - 3,695 - Bright red/white in colour and in great shape. This is a great trail bike with tons of torque that is very fast, stable and very reliable. Shifts great, good suspension and brakes, easy to maintain and loads of fun.

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
When shopping used it's going to all come down to how well the bike was maintained. If you are dropping the budget to the 3k area I'd avoid 250F's at pretty much all costs unless I was absolutely certain of what kind of maintenance it had seen during it's life. Poor maintenance on those bikes could lead to a $2000 rebuild very quickly.

Both of those 250 2 strokes are in the ballpark price wise but that is a lot of bike for a newbie, I'd suggest a 125 2 stroke. You would not want to see any part of an MX track with either of those XR's.

Canadian144

Feb 24, 2008
Chili said:
When shopping used it's going to all come down to how well the bike was maintained. If you are dropping the budget to the 3k area I'd avoid 250F's at pretty much all costs unless I was absolutely certain of what kind of maintenance it had seen during it's life. Poor maintenance on those bikes could lead to a $2000 rebuild very quickly.

Both of those 250 2 strokes are in the ballpark price wise but that is a lot of bike for a newbie, I'd suggest a 125 2 stroke. You would not want to see any part of an MX track with either of those XR's.

One question about the 2-stroke 125, depending on the bike, would I be able to go around a MX track without being the laughing stock of the track, or without it looking like I'm riding a kids bike?

Looked up a few more bikes.

2006 HONDA CRF150F6 - $2,995 (a little expensive!)

2001 Kawasaki KX125 - $2,400 (the KX250 w/mods was $400 more)

And the cheapest Yamaha YZ125 was a 2005 for $3,450

I guess I would get more value from a 250, but I don't want to go out there and kill myself :(

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
OK I think you need to do more research into what it is you are actually looking at since I don't think you comprehend what each bike is like size wise etc.

125 and 250 2 strokes in The YZ lineup are full size race bikes with 39" seat heights and 12" of suspension travel. You are all over the map looking at kid sized playbikes (TT-R125 and CRF150F) to full blown racebikes (YZ and KX models).

If you can find an 05 YZ125 that is in your price range I would go for it since in 05 they switched to the new aluminum frame.

Top Bottom