new to dirt bikes, got a question

Jishory

Nov 28, 2006
i have been a four wheeler for years now but i want a bike i can rip around on so i have something else to do besides beat on my truck. i have been waiting on a deal, a bike to learn on(how to work on mostly), i found a 91 rm 250 in town from a friend of a friend. he says the engine had been rebuilt recently but it has low compression so it could probialy need new piston rings. the asking price is 700$... does that sound a little too much for a bike that is that old AND needs work? couldn't the cylinder be damaged as a side effect of the worn rings? i have heard that its often better to replace the piston while im in there, that true? thanks guys

Agitator

Dec 21, 2005
If I were still looking for a bike, I'd be really intrigued by that price/age bike. If it has bad compression, you might want to price all the parts that could possibly be involved, come time to repair it, and subtract from the price. If the cylinder is gnarly, you would prob'ly need a new one. Idk how much one would cost, but if I were you, i'd price the cylinder, rings, and piston... if it all adds-up to be only 1-200 (prob'ly a little more), they you'll have one h3ll of a deal. If the parts add-up to be a lot, you could offer him about $500...

That's just what I'd do..
Good luck and congrats on the bike!!

jason33

Oct 21, 2006
if it needs the cylinder is wore out it will need to be re coated/or sleeved ,- theres 200-300
but it could be parted out for that much, mabe he can take it apart and see if its just the rings
if its the original piston yea i would definately go with a new kit- not just rings

Jishory

Nov 28, 2006
with this new found information im probably going to tear it down asap, do they sell "Chilton's" or "Haynes" for bikes? thanks a million guys!!!!!! :) :cool:

fishwater

Oct 19, 2006
You can get a Clymer manual for that bike, I have one for mine & it is very good. I just bought a 1992 RM 250 & they are nice bikes. I wouldn't be afraid to buy it & slap a piston in it if the rest of the bike is sound. I have been going through mine almost bolt by bolt & while the previous owner took great care of it there is always something. I think if the bike is in good shape & it runs you should at least offer him something for it. Every bike is going to nickel & dime you unless it is new, that is just how it goes. I have seen 2002 bikes that need more then my 1992.

KX250Dad

Dec 4, 2006
Pay Now or Later

250 2stk's run reasonably cool and wear exceptionally well. Don't compare "runs well" to runs optimum. Point, my '97 250 went 5 years running "well" for me as the piolt a fellow that stays below 8000r's. When I attempted to start my son's '05-250 I nearly threw my leg out thus I realized the '97-250 compression was way low. The cylinder looked good thus to be safe I threw in a new piston/rings and compression still low opposed the newer bike @ 210+psi. Moral of the story, check the cylinder and the ring end gap, chances are even new rings won't meet the wear tolorence should your bike have the original cylinder thus give thought to sleeving. If your an A/B rider forget the sleeving part and get coated (heat/power thing). Should you drop the piston you risk other component damage and big bills. Best to invest a minimum 125 for piston and rings and another 80 for a sleeve than trashing the cyclinder and risk taking out the bottom. These combined you've past the 800 mark. The 2 stk technology is proven, invest a little now and I suspect you'll have a "hot" bike and most likely will be looking for flywheel weights.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom