muz

Jan 2, 2007
Hi all, I'm 41 and want to get into trail riding. I recently bought a piece of land not far from crown forest here in Alberta, so I want to buy a used bike before summer and give it a go.

1) 6'1", 215 lbs
2) pretty fit, but gettin older so not overly aggressive - 5/10
3) riding mostly woods, trails and hills
4) no dirt experience, have been riding a street bike (cruiser) for 5 years
5) no racing
6) very mechanically able, will be doing all my own work
7-10) i'd prefer a used bike (1999 and up), under $4000, any brand, don't know whether i should be looking at 2-stroke or 4. Are the chinese bikes worth looking at?

Could any of you fine folks recommend something in my range?

thx
M.

Reesknight

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2002
You've really got a lot of options, depending on what's available in your area and what brands your local dealer can get parts for. A KDX would work well for you as well as say an XR400(Honda doesn't make them anymore but would probably be good if you could find one). CRF230(maybe a bit underpowered), CRF450X, CRF250X, WR250F, WR450F or the older 426. Any of the KTM EXC models of the appropriate size. I would stay away from MX bikes if you're only doing non aggresive trail riding. Forget the Chinese stuff.

muz

Jan 2, 2007
thanks a lot Reesknight, great information.

How about these 2 bikes, are both of them powerful enough to haul my ass up a hill? (but not kill myself)
- TTR230
- DR-Z400 - there's a 2001 in the local paper for $3500cdn.

M.

Jan 3, 2007
The DRZ is perfect for you plus you got the happy button. The ttr wont haul you up anything hreater than 20 degs. I have a friend with one and it dose not haule me up a hill and i am 225lbs. Also, KDX200 or 220, KTM 300XC or EXC and MXC are all great bottem end brutes that can pull your arms off with the awsome acceleration. I dont particulary like 4 strokes for something off your use because off the weight but, they have good all around power. Just my 2 cents and good luck finding a bike.

Top Bottom