New To Local Racing Scene Need Info.

MXDAD689

Nov 11, 2008
My son who is 12 has decided he wants to race locally. I was wondering about bike security at local and district races. I am not wanting to buy an enclosed trailer or camper cover until I know for sure that he will like racing and continue doing it. My question is if I haul the bike on my open trailer or in the back of my truck how can I secure it during the day at races so that it will not become the object of thieves? During race weekends the days look to some what grueling between the start of registration and beginning of main events. If you want to go watch some of the action or go eat at the concession stands what would be the best way to lock up the bike either on the truck or on the open trailer? I have an extended cab pickup so tools and gear will not be a problem we can lock them up in the cab. Any help appreciated.

mideastrider

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2006
I really don't think its any thing to worry about. For peace of mind go a hardware store and get a locking cable. You can attach it through a standard hole on the truck then through the frame on the bike and anything else you don't want to walk off. Lowes sells Python locking cables starting at about 20 bucks.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Of course knowing where "I don't know" is might help with some localized info but generally dirt bike people are good folks. I have never been concerned about leaving my bikes, tools, gear, fuel, food.... you name it unsecured and have never been disappointed. Then again that's in central Texas and / or with the DRN crew at Dirt Week. If you live in the Bronx perhaps there is a different level of security.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
In my 11 years of racing MX locally, over 200 races, I can only remember hearing of one YZ450 stolen from the track. Of course maybe I just didn't hear about others, but word travels fast if something like that happens. So the chances of it happening are very slim, but if you want to have the added protection, just do a cable lock like suggested by mideastrider. We have done that for overnight situations, like bikes in the bed of a truck at a hotel, or in an open trailer, or overnight at the track if the bikes are sitting out, or at bigger races where theft is sometimes a concern (like arenacross or outdoor nationals), etc.

MXDAD689

Nov 11, 2008
Thanks for all of the comments this helps a lot. It will at least give me some peace of mind. I will get the cable lock and go that route. Definitely want to get a trailer if my son sticks with it. Again I appreciate all of you for replying

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Unfortunately, I do recall a short period at a moderately large local track where there were several thefts. I was stopped on my way home one night after a PW50 was taken. It is rare, but it does happen. Only at that lone track have I ever bothered to lock up a bike. I closed the tailgate and ran the cable through the bike's frame and the chain holes in the truck hitch.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
We always camp just inside the gate at our local track so ours would be the easiest to just walk a way with. That said I have never locked anything at the track and have never had a theft of anything. I have had parts and tools wander away when I was down by the track but they always showed up soon after. In our experience MX people are the type that look out for each other. It also really helps for security (and just to make the weekend that much better) to get to know the people pitted next to you. They are more likely to watch your stuff if they know who you are

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
The only things I've ever lost were tools I "loaned" to somebody and one or both of us forgot to exchange them back before leaving. I don't recommend it, but I've left my wallet in my truck many times with the truck unlocked and never lost anything.
I have nissan truck and the stupid tie-down rings are open, so I cant lock my bike down in my truck at a hotel, but If I only have one bike, I can just angle it in the bed, close and lock my tailgate. Thieves could still get the bike, but they'd have to lift it over the bed of the truck. I think I'll try FruDaddy's trick through the hitch chain holes next time I'm in a worrisome place.
I think we're much more at risk at campgrounds near partying meth-heads that have been up four straight days than we are at a track with people sharing a common interest.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
I have never had a problem, or even heard of a problem at the local MX track or any of the desert races I attend. I leave my tool box sitting out and the bikes unlocked during the day. Not too many spectators at these events.

Night is a different matter. Large spectator events are often targets of thieves. One of the races I attend every year (usually as a spectator but starting last year as an entrant) is an event that draws a lot of spectators. The surrounding area offers a little play riding opportunity and the general atmosphere is kind of drunken party weekend. At this event EVERYTHING stays locked up if I am not using it.

To lock my bikes up I use a long cable, about 20' long, passed through all the bikes. It doesn't even need to be locked to anything else, I doubt that anyone would be able to carry off 4 bikes all locked together without raising a bit of suspicion.

If you have any doubts at all, lock your bike up when you are not riding it. It takes 30 seconds to do and you will rest easier.

Rod

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
We've never had an issue either. We do lock our bikes up when we go to bed, but it's just peace of mind for us. People do give us funny looks, but whatever. We do always put our helmets and Leatt braces in the truck or in the enclosed trailer if we are using it that weekend. Don't really need to, but it's just one of those things I guess. There was a local track that a couple of Leatts came up missing. That was right after they came out and it was taking weeks to get your hands on one. Ever since then we keep ours locked up when we aren't around our pit area.

The only time I know of anything happening was at bigger events like the Amateur Regional or Red Bud National weekend.

Top Bottom