New to me 2001 KDX220, exhaust leak at seal?

oktazz

Feb 22, 2005
Hello all! I just got a 2001 KDX220 and got to take it out today for a ride. It was great! It smoked some when I first started it, and I noticed the seal leaking that connects the two pieces of the FMF pipe. I also noticed oil under the area of the seal on the frame. Is it possible to get a new seal, or do any of you have a suggestion to stop the exhaust leak at the seal?

css_elfers

Aug 26, 2004
Do you have 2 seperate leaks or is it just one leak where the pipe and silencer join together?
If its where the pipe and silencer join you can take zip ties to tighten it up. If its where the pipe goes into the motor you can get new rings for it from FMF.

ELF

oktazz

Feb 22, 2005
Thanks for the tip. It is where the silencer connects to the pipe. I will try the zip ties.

fundgh

Feb 17, 2005
Is there a solution for when zip ties do not stop the leaking or when that rubber seal wheres out?

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
Your basic problem is that the bike is jetted too rich and creating the black drool. Correct your jetting and you will probably not even have a leak. However, if your gasket between the pipe and muffler is bad, you will have to replace it. Ride safe Cheers John

Joe Diver

N. Texas SP
Mar 21, 2005
I recently replaced my stock silencer with an FMF Turbine Core 2. I had the rubber boot thingy that covered the joint with zip ties. When I installed the TC2, I used high temp silicone on the inside and outside of the TC2, and a bit on the outside of the Gnarly. They slid together nicely and the high temp silicone made a nice seal. I then slid the boot over the joint and used metal hose clamps instead of zip ties to secure the boot. I let that setup overnight...no leaks....sounds great!

bradf

Jan 26, 2004
I did the exact same as Joe, used Permatex 77 Blue, but I never put the rubber boot back on because it got lost and it seals perfectly.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…