Mar 29, 2010
so i just bought a bike from a buddy....thought id give this mx thing a try....i really dont have any prior experience, does anyone have any advise for stuff i need to do right away and what i can start on?

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Welcome to the site and to the world of two wheels.

I would start with gear ... good gear actually.

Don't even think about riding MX without getting a good set of boots, helmet, gloves, chest protector etc. You can bum some gear from folks ... pants and shirts etc, but don't skimp on the gear that will keep you from getting hurt WHEN you go down ... and you will go down.

I'm sure many others will chime in with thoughts.

plynn41

Jun 8, 2009
X2 on getting good gear.

Also make sure your bike is in reasonably good service. There's no shame in racing an older, used bike, but the bike has to have sound mechanicals. I just came from a Saturday race where a young man was trying to race a ratted out CR125 with bad tires. He went down about 10 times because his bike had no grip in the corners--that can't be fun.

Then learn how to ride. That's not meant to sound smart. I mean learn how to accelerate, shift, brake hard and turn. Put the jumps on a lower priority than learning how to corner. Set up some cones in a field and do figure eights. Most races are won or lost in the corners, not the jumps. And jumping well on a modern motocross track usually depends on how well you can carry speed through a corner.

That's my 2 cents!

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
Perry:

Call me or email me - I've got plenty of advice for how to ride moderately fast. . . Compared to a beginner, anyway.

Good to see you on here. I got mine out today for a first round of testing on my new suspension.

Rob

P.S. I sold him the bike. . .

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom