Librider

Nov 3, 2007
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
5'10 170 lbs
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
Fairly aggressive and physical.
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
A lot of trails, mountains, country, etc.
4) Do you have any riding experience?
I've rode an ATV for a while, but never on a bike.
5) Do you think you will race ?
Maybe messing with friends?
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
Lol, more likely to destroy something.
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
Whichever requires the least maintenance and delivers a nice amount of power?
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
No preference really.
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?
Less than 2k, hopefully.
10) Do you live in California?
No.
11) Your age?
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion
I'd like a bike with plenty of power, and that does that sit too low, or too high, but is comfortable for me?

bmcd308

Feb 9, 2007
XR-200 - runs risk of being not enough bike, but cheap on used market, easy to maintain, and will hold value if you decide you want more bike later. Remember, you are not buying your motorcycle. You are buying your FIRST motorcycle.

XR-250 - can't fault the poster above, but the 250 will be considerably more expensive than the 200 for benefits that as a new rider you might not even notice.

CRF-230 - has reputation of being a much better bike than the XR-200. I have ridden both, but the XR-200 was years ago, so I can't really compare. The problem here is that CRF-230s are available new, so you will be tempted to buy a new one. Don't. There really is no need to waste the money.

KDX 200 or 220 - a slightly more aggressive first bike choice, but still a great choice. Lots of power delivered fairly gently. 2 stroke, so sounds like I think a dirt bike should and is easier to work on than 4T counterparts.

XMotoX

Oct 23, 2006
I agree that either an XR250 or a KDX200 would be the best choice. Both can be found used for under 2K and are probably the two greatest trail bikes out there. Also, they are plenty powerful for a first time dirt bike rider. I honestly think something along the lines of an XR200 or CRF230 would be too small and you'd grow out of the power quickly.

As for maintenance, both the XR and the KDX are low maintenance bikes. The KDX, being a two stroke, will need top end rebuilds more often. The XR, four stroke, will need occasional valve checks but is otherwise bulletproof. Out of the two, for lowest possible maintenance, I'd say the XR250. You can basically put gas in them and go for years, only doing oil and filter changes.

Both sit at medium heights for a dirt bike and with you being 5'10", you'd fit either one perfectly.

zig06

Oct 4, 2007
2 strokes for life said:
I think a used Honda XR250 or Kawasaki KDX220 would be perfect for you.

Ditto.

That's what I would recommend. I'd also throw in a DRZ-250 and maybe a TTR-250 ~ both are electric start. And because all are really "trail bikes" not competition bikes, they will wear like iron.

Top Bottom