New to the dirt, older street rider

GreyedRider

Feb 1, 2008
Howdy all. I'm an older street rider that's interested in dirt riding. I'm looking for advice on what size and type bikes to consider. Here's my info:
1) your physical size: 5'10", 200lbs.
2) How physical / aggressive are you ? Average. Exercise daily, but I'm not a fitness nut. I'm in my late 30s.
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ????? Most likely woods, some tracks with friends.
4) Do you have any riding experience? 10+ years on streetbikes. In my youth I road mountain bikes.
5) Do you think you will race ? I might consider doing a hare scramble somewhere along the way, but just for fun.
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? Yes. I maintain my streetbikes today. No real engine work, but I have done just about everything else.
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? I've never been on a 2 stroke, all my street bikes are 4 strokes. I don't have a strong brand preference (though I'm superstitious about Yamahas...), though I do have a Honda streetbike.
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? I'm not really looking to buy new at this point. There are dealers of all major brands close for parts/service.
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike? I started looking with around $1000.00 in mind for something mid-late 90s, but I could spend more if it made sense for the right bike.
10) Do you live in California? No.
11) Your age? 38
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion. Can't think of anything.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
You are going to have a hard time finding a suitable bike in your price and year range. You might be able to find an early 90's 125 two stroke for $1000 that was in good shape. Go up another $500 to $700 and you could get a mid to late 90's 250 two stroke.

I suspect that you would be happier in a four stroke, but you will need at least a 230cc. Your size and weight would dictate a full size bike (MX style) rather than a smaller "off road" model. I suspect that you won't find a decent four stroke MX bike under $2000.

Rod

D3luxe

Aug 11, 2007
I am 5'11", 110LB and have a 1997 RM125. Bought it for a grand, and have since had to put some new parts in it..All new bearings, new rod, and a new piston. So, for about $1350, I have a very good shape late 90's RM125.

The 125 has more than enough power to throw me around, but you are just a bit heavier than me, so you would probably want to look into a 250. A friend of mine is around 6'3" 170LB and rides a RM250 (Unsure on year), and he has a blast on it.

I'd say try to find either a 125 or 250 and see if you can give it a test run. If you feel that the 125 doesnt have enough power, then go for the 250.

Also, unless you are prepared to spend a lot of time and money on upkeep, go for a 2-stroke. 4-strokes are much more expensive to buy, and much more expensive to maintain.

Reesknight

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2002
If you're just riding woods, a KDX200 would be a good bike and its 'rideable' on an MX track buy not very well. If you're going to do much MX, then get a MX 250 2 stroke. The only 4 strokes you'll find in your price range are the older XR trail bike type 4 strokes, which are very good bikes, but you're not going to ride MX with it. My friend is picking up a 99 KX 250 for 1200, so you can find bikes close to what you're looking to spend, but if you ride it much, most likely you're going to be putting more money into it. Good Luck!

By the way, there is a 94 KDX200 in the for sale forum for 1200 with free shipping!
http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=160030

Last edited:

GreyedRider

Feb 1, 2008
Thanks all. I've seen a few mid 90s RM250s and CR250s for around 1000.00 in my area. Sounds like that's a reasonable way to go if I can get one in good shape. Thanks again for the input!

hip66

Dec 28, 2007
almost in identical situation that you are, bought a kdx200 after reading a bunch on this site and others. Very happy with it.

GreyedRider

Feb 1, 2008
I've come across two bikes this week that caught my eye. First is an '02 XR200. From the specs I've seen it is a bit smaller in height/length than a 250. How does it compare to a kdx200 and would it be big enough for someone 5'10" and 200lbs for what I'm looking to do (I know a few posts have already said I'd need a full size bike)?

Second bike is a '92 CR250. Seems like it might be a good ride if I can get it for a good price. Anything one has to look out for out of the ordinary?

Thanks!

Glikens11

Jul 18, 2006
I'm 5'10ish and weigh 150 and i rode a 1986 xr200 around all last summer and it had plenty of power for me if i was you though look around for hondas they used to have a size bike for every rider. Correct me if i'm wrong but i think they make a 350 and a 400.

Top Bottom