New top end part are in, just have one question

ChuckyBoy

~SPONSOR~
May 2, 2002
Well, my cylinder is back from Fredette (porting and plating) and I have all the parts ready to reassemble my top end.

I just have one question (for the time being :laugh: ).

Fredette sent me a complete gasket kit from Versah. The kit came with the o-rings for the exhaust but it also came with a brass ring that goes between the pipe and the cylinder. When I took my FMF rev pipe off during disassembly, there was no brass ring present, only the two o-rings. However, the parts diagram shows a third ring in addition to the 2 o-rings on the stock pipe set up

My question is this:

Am I supposed to use this brass ring or not?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Chuck

ChuckyBoy

~SPONSOR~
May 2, 2002
JasonWho,

Thanks for the quick reply. I really appreciate it.

It's time to get down and dirty now! I'm gonna tackle my first top end rebuild! I hope putting it back together will be as easy as taking it apart was.

Ciao,
Chuck

jssport

Feb 20, 2003
The brass ring is the exhaust gasket,....

fredette's "Torque Ring" is a thicker alum gasket,.. replaces the std gasket and creates more initial header volume for better low-end performance.

paul6585

~SPONSOR~
Aug 27, 2002
Check exhaust valve timing

A word of advice. Since you will have the cylinder off and may be tossing it around a bit be sure to check the exhaust valve timing with the exhaust valve rod before you reinstall the cylinder. The valves may pop out if you turn your cylinder upside down or sideways and when you push them back in there are timing marks that must line up.

Another pointer that I picked up on this site was that it may be easier to put the piston in the cylinder on a bench and then connect the piston to the connecting rod while reinstalling the cylinder as opposed to having to compress the rings and slide the cylinder over them without having them rotate. Good luck!

ChuckyBoy

~SPONSOR~
May 2, 2002
Thanks to all of you for your advice. It's well taken.

JasonWho,

I was mistaken. The Vesrah gasket kit I got from FRP was a top end gasket kit, not a complete kit. I've attached an image from the package. The items with the asterisks are the items included in the top end kit. I am assuming the complete kit would come with all the items listed. The quality of the picture is not the best but you should be able to tell what is included in the kits

FYI, the top end gasket kit was 40 bucks from FRP.

Thanks again to everyone for their help.

Later,
Chuck

Attachments

• gasket info 4.jpg
    gasket info 4.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 135

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom