Quick dumb question about exhaust gaskets

ksnowdog

Jul 12, 2002
Hello all,

My 95 KDX has always had an exhaust leak since I bought it used. I replaced the stock pipe with a FMF (damn, what a difference!)

The parts diagrams show 2 o-rings and a crush-type gasket between the exhaust and the engine. My stock pipe had 2 o-rings, but they were on the OUTSIDE of the pipe in the little channels and the crush gasket is stuck (well not stuck) in the exhaust port.

My question, am I missing 2 more o-rings that sandwich the crush gasket??? Or are the 2 rings that are on the outside of the pipe supposed to go in there?? Or is it set-up right and I just have an exhaust leak anyway??

No amount of adjusting seems to make a difference in the leak and both the stock pipe and the FMF had the leak.

I did a search but had no luck, thanks in advance

jamin326

~SPONSOR~
Oct 29, 2002
your not missing any o-rings, there are the two on the end of the pipe and then the other one in the cylinder, is the pipe pushed in far enough so that neither of the o-rings on the end of the pipe are showing? you could try a bead of silicone gasket sealant to seal it up too

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
Yes do clean up the end of the pipe and the cylinder where its inserted and run a thin bead of silicone around the o-rings. This will stop the power robbing exhaust leaks you have been experiencing.

David

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
You didn't say if the FmF was new or not. It doesn't take much of a smack to make the pipe-to-cylinder fit bad.

Actually with the fit'n finish that FmF is known for, a brand new one may fit just as poorly. Having to force the fit of the SA will interfere with the pipe/cylinder fit, too.

As CDave said, any exhaust leak is a performance killer and needs to be resolved.

Curious.....you are saying 'exhaust leak' meaning you see smoke or hear the exhaust at the joint? Or is it spooge you're looking at? Certainly an oily discharge (the increased tendency to have them and the inability to control them ;) ) is a leak, but it's indicative of a jetting problem to boot.

You could take a look at buykawasaki.com for an illustrated parts breakdown of the exhaust system. It will show the o-rings, copper gasket and such.

Good Luck!

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Originally posted by canyncarvr
copper gasket

Good suggestion there big guy, when I read his post that was the first thing I thought of. :thumb:

ksnowdog

Jul 12, 2002
Thanks for the info. I can't check this forum at work. Something in the address here sets off our filter. Our filter calls it 'chat' and it gets blocked. Other bike (Street) sites don't get blocked :(

It's definately an exhaust leak. The FMF was new, I hadn't realized I needed the old rings off the old pipe! Oops, my bad, I warned you it was a stupid question! But I did have a small leak with the stock exhaust. I have a little spray spooge on the back side of the front fender since putting on the FMF. But more than that it SOUNDS like an exhaust leak. Same ticking noise as cars and streetbikes.

The FMF bolted right up on my bike no problems and wow what a difference. Completely different motor :) I did change the jets/needle with that, the carb was very clean. I'm running the stock SA, any simple ways to clean it out other than the drain screw? I want it as quiet as possible, I'll sacrifice the few pounds.

I picked up new o-rings at lunch today, the stock ones have seen better days. They didn't have the copper gasket in stock, so I'm gonna see how it does with just new o-rings. The stock copper gasket was fairly dented, it was consistent in the dent around the gasket.

Maybe give it good tap and make sure it is all the way in there too.

thanks again

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
re:ring around the rings.....(I feel a nursery rhyme coming on....)

Squeeze the bead on around the pipe, put it in. While it's in the 'goop' stage, it will form to where it needs to, THEN firm into place.

This assumes you have the fit right to start with. Don't put your silicone on, place the pipe in the cylinder then waller it around for 15 minutes trying to make it fit. Your silcone bead will be all 'spooged out' by then.

Even if your copper gasket IS old, don't put the pipe on without a gasket. You don't want a hard metal flange (pipe) banging up against a soft (and $$$) aluminum cylinder.

re: cleaning the stock SA.
Just drain it from time to time. No preventive maintenance (like repacking and internal cleaning) to be done.

ksnowdog

Jul 12, 2002
Oh, I was definately gonna put the gasket back in, I just meant the old one! The end of the pipe is clean as is the exhaust port.

If it doesn't seal good with the new o-rings, what kind of silicone should I use?

I will give it a try tomorrow night, right now my garage is freezing, 2 inches of snow on the ground outside. Supposed to be 60degrees tomorrow-gotta love the Midwest! Gonna ride both bikes all of my 3 day weekend!!

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
I've used only hi-temp silicone...sometimes black, sometimes blue. Available at any average one-each auto parts store. Probably most any 'make-a-gasket' kinda stuff would work as well. Permatex is what's generally around this area.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom