LRice85

Nov 1, 2001
Last year I bought a 2002 CR250 in Canada and brought it across the boarder without a tarrif. At that time the law stated that any offroad motorcycle less than 600cc was expempt from an import tarrif. A friend of mine was in Canada this past weekend and attempted to buy a CRF450. He was told that he would have to pay a 3% tarrif and that the exemption cc limit is 300! I can't find this documented anywhere. I checked the US customs website and nothing is documented. I know I found this info on a website last year.

Anyone know if the laws have changed in the past year
thanks
larry

Hucker

~SPONSOR~
Sep 15, 2000
Was he told his by customs or by the dealer? Alot of dealers like squeezing another 3% out of you. And seeing that you money is worth so much, most people will go "um, yeah sure whatever...."

You also will have to pay tax when purchasing the bike, but are refunded at the border...

LRice85

Nov 1, 2001
He was informed at the boarder before purchasing about the law. When I bought my bike last year I was given misinformation at the boarder too however I had done my homework before going and knew the law. Had to argue at customs for a short while before I was able to get my import stamp.

It's possible the law has changed but I cannot find any info on the US customs site or anywhere else. I did find the info last year. Something has changed.

You are correct about the taxs. You get half back when leaving canada and you have to mail in for the other half. This requires the stamp I mentioned. If you don't have the US stamp proving you exported the bike you won't get the tax back.

So the questions is... has the law changed that would excluded any bikes over 300cc??? If I find out I will post it. If anyone knows please respond.

thanks
larry

Hucker

~SPONSOR~
Sep 15, 2000
I've been searching the Canadian gov. sites trying to find this info all morning. Nothing at all. You might want to give the Canadian Customs a call, they should be able to tell you right away if the tariff stands for 300cc and over bikes...

LRice85

Nov 1, 2001
I wouldn't expect to find this on a Canadian customs site as this would be US issue. Since I am a US citizen buying a bike in Canada and importing it to the US.

From the canadian perspective I pay taxes when I purchase the bike but get them back provided I show proof it has been exported. It's bad they don't get the tax on the bike but good as it provides a slight boost to the economy.

thanks
larry

Hucker

~SPONSOR~
Sep 15, 2000
They allready bend enough people over with tax, no need to let them have their way with you :)

Top Bottom