Battered Sav

~SPONSOR~
Nov 16, 2000
Hope I've posted this in the right spot.
There is a new vortex ignitions website.
http://www.vortexcdi.com/
Sorry if its been posted before or its in the wrong forum.

EricGorr

Super Power AssClown
Aug 24, 2000
Thats ok you can post it here. Do you have any personal knowledge of their products? Maybe you can share some with us. We're always interested to hear from you guys down under. Theres some very clever motorcycle guys in Australia and New Zealand, especially considering the population density. My favorite motorcycle magazine originates in Australia; VMX

Battered Sav

~SPONSOR~
Nov 16, 2000
No personal knowledge, sorry Eric.
Just remembered seeing a few posts regarding Vortex, thought people might appreciate the new web address.
Glad you like VMX, honoured to hear its your favorite, bit surprised that you can get it though, all the way over there.
Thanks for the reply.

EricGorr

Super Power AssClown
Aug 24, 2000
One of the editors of VMX is a guy from here in Wisconsin, Mark Thompson who now resides in Ohio. He imports VMX and CBR, those mags have a good following especially among motorcycle enthusiasts involved in the magazine business. I'm into vintage bikes myself. I have a 1972 Husky WR250, 77CR390, and a Suzuki RE5 Wankel engine bike.
I'm also a fan of down-under motorcycle inventors like Ian Drysdale and John Britten. I used to be the technical editor for Australasian Dirt Bike magazine when Geoff Eldridge was alive and kicking ass. He was a gem!

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Yeah that was the funniest magazine by a shot. I never bother reading dirt mags anymore, but Geoff created a top read in a very human way that made me sad to hear of his death. Just the other day I was eyeing up some old knobblies to bond to the bottom of some jandals (old ADB tip for pitwear).

Remember the ‘Honest Muz’s hot up tips’ fiasco? when they printed a Satire piece about adding Vegetable V8 juice to your dirt bike fuel (what would Rich make of that?) with some bogus explanation of how it produced a gazzilion hp increase

& they had people complaining for months after because they had actually tried it!

Priceless! :thumb:

Battered Sav

~SPONSOR~
Nov 16, 2000
RIP Geoff, the man was a classic.
The mag had an anniversary recently, some of the archive shots, wow, what a laugh.
Been a long time since I've heard of Drysdale, if I remember, that was the dryvtech? 2wd bike, not sure.
Cars had to be big American cruisers.
Ahhh, the V8 juice, think that was the April issue.
I'm going to have to look around and see if I can find an old copy with you as the tech ed. Eric, I honestly had no idea.
I think back then I would of been too young to read the bits about who did what.
RIP John Britten ( a Kiwi ) as well, I had a lot of respect for him, that bike he came up with was just fantastic, and its kind of ironic how there is so many narrow, booming v-twins about now.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
Originally posted by EricGorr
I'm also a fan of down-under motorcycle inventors like Ian Drysdale and John Britten.

i had never heard of john britten until watching discovery channel the other night. it was amazing to see a guy that made a bike from scratch and took it to the competition. :worship: it was very sad to heard he lost that battle with cancer, i am sure the motorcycle world is much poorer for his loss.

Battered Sav

~SPONSOR~
Nov 16, 2000
If I remember right, it was just all coming together when Britten passed away.
The bikes were looking great and the reliability was improving.
I just think that there was no one capable of picking it up and running with it, the shoes they had to step into were just too big.
Who knows what he'd be up to now, but it would of been good.

waldoschmere

Feb 18, 2004
I'm 17 years behind the news but I only just found out that Geoff Eldridge is no longer with us. It's been all that time since I picked up a copy of ADB but I'm still shocked to learn that he's gone. That magazine was my life when I was 14 years old. Many of the articles are still clear in my mind. Am I allowed to ask how he died?

Eric Gorr

Engine Builder
Jun 29, 1999
Geoff suffered a fatal accident in the Nevada Rally, when a pick-up truck strayed on to the course and hit him head-on. I believe the year was 1995.

dbrace

Oct 30, 2002
Eric i loved reading your articles in ADB,your book is also a great read with heaps of great info. We had no TV for a while so ADB kept me sane.
A friend of mine has a 03 cr250 and i've convinced him to send the cylinder over for some mo-better porting,can't wait to try it out.
What's up with the jetting on that bike? If only i could put my yz motor into that frame. :think:

Top Bottom