SATxMotoX

Sponsoring Member
Feb 6, 2001
New XR200 knocking--Pls Help!

I've got a few questions for any new XR200 owners...

Here's the situation: My buddy bought a "new" used 2001 XR200 a while back. This bike had "2 rides" on it and was extremely clean so we didn't think there were any issues with it. On the first ride, his wife takes it out and comes back saying that it has this really bad vibration in the middle RPM's. He gets on it and rides it and feels this vibration and thinks it a rod knocking or something to that effect. We take it to the dealership and the mechanic says "Yep, there's something wrong and we'll have to split the case to figure it out". At this point were both thinking "WTF, this was supposedly a "new" used bike in "perfect" condition (dealer's words)". Long story short, the dealership trades him up to a brand spanking new XR200 out of the box and we think "problem solved"

Now, we get the brand new XR out yesterday and the d$8e thing is doing the EXACT SAME THING. The bike idles normal, doesn't make any weird noises, starts fine. But when you ride in in middle RPM's there is a very audible "knock" that you can also feel with you legs. My friend was following the routine to break the bike in so there have been NO hard starts, fast riding, etc. done to it.

So here are my questions:

1. Is this normal XR200 behavior? We have never owned a 4 stroke nor ridden a XR200 before but this does not seem to be typical Honda quality.
2. Any ideas on what it could be (other than rod knock?) Please let us know if we are on the wrong path of assumptions here as it is absolutely baffling that 2 XR's are doing the exact same thing.

Thanks in advance for comments/advice.

Last edited:

DualSportr

Aug 22, 2000
These engines are not counter balanced, so they do have a small amount of vibration, even when new.

The knocking sound is not normal though.

A stock XR200 with the valves correctly adjusted won't have any extra engine noise, in fact they sound suspiciously like a sewing machine!

Typically knocking on an XR200 points to rod knock. The small end of the rod is galled and stretched (lack of oil or to much over-rev), and the piston pin "slaps" against it at the top of the stroke. The noise will be most noticeable with the bike in neutral with the engine revving slightly, or as it's coming down from a higher rpm.

If someone brought me an XR200 to listen to, and it had a knock, we'd be able to determine the cause of the knock WITHOUT a complete engine disassembly. The head, side cover and cylinder would have to be removed, but that's it.

Take the new 200 to a different shop -- even an independent. Have them listen to the bike. Don't let them touch it though. Take it to another place and have them do the same thing. If both shops say it's nothing, then it probably is. If both shops believe it may be something wrong, then have them state it in writing (even if you have to pay them a few bucks), then take the information and the bike back to the Honda dealer.

Make them take a look at the bike.

BTW, if it is an engine knock from a loose small end - the bike will probably run for many years, but it is injured and should be fixed.

SATxMotoX

Sponsoring Member
Feb 6, 2001
The noise will be most noticeable with the bike in neutral with the engine revving slightly, or as it's coming down from a higher rpm.
PJ, what if the bike sounds just fine at idle and low RPM?

we'd be able to determine the cause of the knock WITHOUT a complete engine disassembly. The head, side cover and cylinder would have to be removed, but that's it.
What would we look for upon disassembly?

BTW, if it is an engine knock from a loose small end
Any ideas of what the "loose ends" could be?

Thanks a bunch for your reply and insights.

Chris

Top Bottom