YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
So for my resolution this year I decided to do the only thing that I know I am lacking.....get more ride time in :ride:

So ride I did.

Yea I know your thinking yea right yzinger you DONT need to ride more. But ya know what they say, opinions are like :moon: everyone has one :rotfl: and my opinion is that I need to ride more.

So with that said I hooked up with my buddy C-more and Slow Joe and headed north to Little Manistee. North you say! yes north. Jan 1st and I am headed even farther north. Like it isn't cold enough here I got to go farther north to get a challange. We met at the southern staging area on Little Manistee at 8:30am and geared up. Note to self, bring riding boots into truck were it is warm :bang: It was a balmy 20 deg outside and no wind. The ground was mostly free of snow but still frozen solid. I was sure glad that we had them studs in.

We took off going counter clockwise on the 2-tracks. Just taking it a little easy while the bike warmed up. Its quickly aparent that traction will not be a problem at all as it was near 100%. The frozed ground combined with 600 gold screws makes for crazy traction. Turn the go handle and the front tire claws at the sky. :yeehaw:

But as much fun as the 2-tracks were, they were cold as hell also. We dove into the 1st single track crossing we saw and started to tear it up. Joe was coming off injuries and was a little slow at first. But he loosened up and was soon feeling fine on his CRF450. Its bad enough riding behind him in the summer but now I got to worry about getting pelted by flying screws out of his rear tire. Yikes!

Cmore as always was riding good on his YZ426. This is one of his last rides for a while. His bikes are going up for sale as Uncle Sam is sending him overseas this year. He ships out on 1/28/05. So he is really enjoying these last few rides.

I am finially starting to get the feel of the YZ400 back. I havent rode it all summer, I got skippy (CRF250X) for that. The big thumper just feels strange coming off the Honda. But I am getting better on it. The cold weather jeting I did seems to be working fine. For all you 4-strokes out there with the pumper carb I got 1 word for you, STARTER JET. Put a bigger one in there. They start sooo much beter in the cold temps with a bigger starter jet.

So anyways we continued along in the single stopping on occasion to warm our hands on the exhaust and clear out foggy goggles. There is the ocasional downed tree on the trail. But with studded tires they arn't even a challange. It just claws right over them. There was spotty snow and ice but for the most part the trail was clear and frozen. You could really rail corners with the studs. Just dive into the corner and the bike just sticks. Awsome fun. We made a quick stop at the Carrieville gas startion for munchies and drinks. We sure got strange looks from the other customers.

Attachments

• PC310091.JPG
    PC310091.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 139
  • PC310092.JPG
    PC310092.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 133

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
So back on the trail. After sitting around at the gas station I had to make a stop or 2 to warm up my hands. Gloves got cold without my hands in them. But once I could feel my clutch lever again I was fine. Near the top of the loop there is some new single track in there. Tight and rooty. Too much fun. I should of went back and rode it again. Sweet stuff. :laugh:

We made it up to the top of the loop were the Lincoln Hills conector joins in and headed over to 7 mile staging area. Hey there is snow here. Lots more than we have had. But it was only a few inches deep so it was no troubles at all. Just more burm shredding fun. We made a quick stop at 7 mile to chat and inspect a squeeling noise coming out of my bike. Just as I suspected, no rear pads. A quick look at my watch and we / I decided that we would take the short conector trail to Peacock when we got to it for some new pads.

So off we go again. But this time right out of the parking lot we are met with a pretty major tree. We all managed to squeek under it and were quickly met with another set of downed trees. The 1st one was a double one down on the ground. Both of them around 12" dia. Nice double jump. Over it I go, barly missing a 2" sapling on the left. Right after that one is a 18" downed oak. Cant get over that one on the trail due to the dished out trail. But off the trail was a clear line over the tree. A little bit of gas and lots of clutch and over the tree I go....and onto the ground. Doh! Grab the clutch and pick up the bike. Look around and the others were no were to be seen. Ahhh safe. No one seen it, it never happened. I waited as the others came up and I pointed out the hot line to Cmore, and watched as he went over the tree and over the bars. That small sapling cought him and took him down. Having seen this, and me laughing hystericaly, Joe decided to go around the carnage. Wuss.

So back onto the trail we were all moving along pretty good. Eventually we came apon the Peacock turnoff and rode over to the shop. Luckly they were open. I got some new pads as the parts guy gave me grief about him having all his motorcycle books put away. And repeadedly asking me "you said a motorcyce right?". We got more than one strange look parading around the shop in full riding gear on the 1st of January. Too funny. All the while the guys with sleds in there trailer in the parking lot were giving us dirty looks :nener:

With new pads in hand I headed out to the lot, for more strange looks and coments, and proceded to installed my new pads. Unfortunately I couldn't get the piston in far enough for both new pads, so I installed the best used pad and 1 new pad and we were off on the trail again. From there it was a short ride in the single back to the truck.

It was just an awsome day for a ride. And a special one as Cmore is heading overseas and was on one of his last rides for a while. :worship:

So there is is. My New Years day ride. For all you folk caged up in your houses thinking that your riding is over for the year, I say BAH! get that bike out and start riding. Its never too cold or nasty to ride. Heck I was out to Cedar Creek last Monday after X-mas for a ride. It was 5 deg out there and 8" of snow. I had a riot. Even got to pass a snowmobile while wheeling thru the snow woops :yeehaw:

Attachments

• PC310093.JPG
    PC310093.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 146
  • PC310094.JPG
    PC310094.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Sounds like you had a great ride! There is something about winter riding that makes it even better. It is like it is more fun because you are cheating or something - you aint supposed to be able to ride and have such fun in January in Michigan you know!

E-WA

~SPONSOR~
Oct 15, 2001
Zinger, good ride report, I have to give you some of these :worship: :worship: :worship: as my bikes are parked for a month till it warms a tad :nener:

Nestrick

Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 6, 2003
Hey Don

Nice report ... good resolution ... neat pic's ... is there any weather you won't ride in? Thanks for taking us along with you ... I am cold tired just reading about it ... think I'll go warm up by the fire!

longing for spring, terry nestrick :cool:

Godzuki

Sep 22, 2004
man i wanted to go with ya's but as is my life lately no mo doe, looks like some real fun though.

to answer what weather don wont ride in, id say wet rainy type, the kind that soaks you to the bone, and add in some cold to. at least i know just how he feels about that i was with him on both of those cold wet rides. i still has mucho fun, and one of the rides is now my favorite trail to go down, and thats not cedar. ill back in it soon i hope. :yeehaw:

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
I dont mind riding in the rain. I dont mind riding in the cold. But I definately dont like riding in both at the same time. That just sucks.

Top Bottom