BlingBling

Sep 16, 2004
I was in a crash: hit from behind, in car, by car.

Now, I have a "dual-sport" 2004 Kawasaki Super Sherpa. I had 100% dirt tires mounted. I want to ride Forest Service roads, and legal trails.

I can also use the trail bike to get on and off my property, when my riding skills are at the intermediate level.

I just talked with the Deputy Sheriff, and he said I can ride it in the dry lakebed. I had asked the Sheriff, so where can I practice basic skills?

There are Forest Service roads reasonably near here. I have a map, from their regional office. I am not sure how to read the "legend". The listed dates are the times are when I am not allowed to ride? Pretty complicated stuff.

I am going to try to be a "snowbird", this Winter.

I want to travel in my van, with this trailbike, to Utah, Arizona, and New Mexico. I think I will start with the Paiute Trail system, near Marysvale, Utah.

If anyone know scenic places, I want to know.

It won't be long now, and it will be time to be a "snowbird".

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
First off Welcome to the site. I would check around in the different forums for the answers to your questions. There are a couple of scenic places in NM. The lincon national forest and the carson national forest are both nice, but realy rocky. They are the tale end of the rockies and do get snow in the winter. Super nice to ride and camp in during the summer. For the winter Utah would be cool.

RoostRider

Uhhh...
Aug 24, 2004
what does this have to do with your car accident? Are you only able to ride limited amounts? Or is that just how you managed to get a bike and some time off work?

BlingBling

Sep 16, 2004
1. It is not reasonable to ride on the roadways, post car wreck: no one told me that. I don't think so. I would rather see my riding skills develop again, on a dirt road or trail.

2. I am having some problem breathing, that might be relieved by the southwest desert air. I have been advised not to spend this winter, in Montana winter.

3. The trailbike will also benefit me, for getting in and out of my property, as soon as I have got going riding again. I am living in a small town, right now, and not on my own property, which is in the mountains nearby.

4. I have wanted to "snowbird": I may as well make the best of it.

5. I have time, and inclination. If I don't spend too much, by camping a great deal, I can afford to do it.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Welcome to the site BlingBling :cool:

Check out the Places To Ride / Organized Rides and << All Ride/Race Reports >> forums for information regarding rides. Use search and you can find a bunch of information.

I posted a Moab ride report a few months back. There are numerous trails and roads there, some difficult and some easy enough that a car could make the trek.

In case you have not seen it, check out the Marysvale Utah web site on information about the Paiute ATV Trail System.

Best of luck on getting your health back and finding some nice places to ride. Post up you ride in the Places To Ride / Organized Rides forum and you might get a few of us to join up with you.

We will do our best to hook you up with some fellow dirt bike enthusiasts.

Again welcome to the site and shout if you have any questions

BlingBling

Sep 16, 2004
The ATVUtah Marysvale, Utah website is the one I did find, from "riding Arizona".

From scouring the search engine I found a National Geographic link: "New Mexico's Quebradas Road
Vehicle: High-clearance 2WD, though sandy washes may require 4WD
Length: 24 miles (39 kilometers); 2 days

In autumn, when the high desert has cooled, Quebradas Road provides escape into some of the least disturbed Chihuahuan Desert in New Mexico. A federally designated National Backcountry Byway, it threads through a tapestry of color-banded cliffs, water-sculpted arroyos, and desert wilderness. Exit I-25 at Escondida, two miles (3.2 kilometers) north of Socorro. Cross the Rio Grande and drive through the hamlet of Pueblito. Continue south for just over half a mile (just under one kilometer), then turn left at the sign marking the start of the byway."

I have no idea, if it is mud, gumbo, or snow-covered when I can be in the region. If I did, I could maybe stretch a few days there.

I found a bunch of links googling: listed elsewhere, for hiking trails and for hot springs, two things I also like. Maybe I should post that list and ask for comments, based on time of year, is it scenic, is it for a beginning dirt bike rider?

However, "on my own", I don't even know what those names are. I have DeLorme, because Mt. Rescue uses DeLorme.

The trail names and trailheads seem to be "local designations", and arenot on the DeLorme roadmap.

I could purchase Forest Service maps, if I knew which "forests" I would want to be "in".

I have one good BLM map for the Utah-Arizona border area.

I have a GPS, but so far the GPS trails are not on TOPO! I do have, except only the Paiute Trail System and that one is "temporarily sold out".

If I bought the maps, by law, I can only have my unlicensed dirt bike in Utah "14 days", before I have to register, license, insure, ORV sticker it, and have a motorcycle endorsement on my driver's license.

Well that's it! I am not going to be able to get a monthly rate, and ride the trails to my heart's content. "14 days".

I have been searching forums and search engines on forums, since June, this year, when I got my own internet connection: a two-way satellite internet connection.

I have searched here.

There seem to be active clubs, however they speak in "acronyms" like "GLTR rating" and trailnames, not on the DeLorme roadmap.

I have to read the entire context to "get it" that full-out dirt bike guys break equipment on the trail.

I have had a CJ-5 Jeep. I didn't want to break axles, then, either.

Maybe "old fartz" or ..people with kids or ..someone that likes the view ..could clue me in on the places, and the months, between this October and spring desert flowers I might like to be there ..riding a dirt road, a jeep trail, or a legal trail for an unlicensed dirt bike.

I have Michelin Cross Competition M12 on the front and Dunlop Sports D756 on the rear.

I am not a total "tyro". I had one of the first crate Honda 90's "off the boat".

I did not have the sprockets changed to gear it down lower, yet, because I wanted to see what the bike will do from the manufacturer.

I have experience in and around Mt. Rescue, 40 years.

Maybe, here, some clubs could clue me in ..about maps, CD's, TOPO!'s, trail descriptions, and trail "ratings" for what time of year?

The "snowbirds" are already caravaning down Highway 89, this morning. There is a dusting of snow on the peaks, and nighttime temps are 30 F. The "lightweights" are on the run.

I am not a "lightweight" about cold, but this winter, anyway, I am supposed to aim for moderate humidity and 52 - 72 F temperature range, in clean air, and see if I do better.

I still do not know where I am going, but on or before Oct 5-15 I am heading out. I would appreciate people jumping on this thread.

Top Bottom