acesnkush

Apr 29, 2006
Im starting to try out jumps. I am just bought my first dirtbike a 01 yz250 in Nov. The last couple of rides I have started to do small jumps like from embacments to anout a 8-10 footers. I have several questions.

1) I hear of diff ways of going of jumps. For these smaller jumps should I rev it right before I hit, Or keep the speed constant?

2) I catch my self nosediving, even when I rev it sometimes. Do I need to lean more back?

3) Whats the right gear for hitting these pefect, I drive in second up to usually, and like 50 ft away switch in third, and rev it. Is that rght?

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
1. In general, the steeper the jump, the more acceleration you will need to maintain all the way up the jump to counteract the rear end "kicking" up as you leave the jump. While learning, don't try to fiddle around with gassing it at the last second. Any last second changes could have drastically different results if you are a split second too early or too late when making them. In general, steady acceleration with enough RPMs that you are generating power but not so much that you are wringing it out.

2. It is very unlikely that you are too far forward. As the front of the bike climbs up the jump, the natural tendency for those still learning is to lean forward (that is good) and that results in rolling the throttle forward/off (that is bad). Stay forward and concentrate on making sure you are still accelerating all the way up the jump and into the air.

3. An accomplished jumper can easily get 70-80+ feet out of a 250 in 2nd gear, but that is near peak power at high RPM. Continue what you are doing by shifting up to third well in advance of the jump, just work on continuing to accelerate. Having the engine at lower RPMs make it easier to control while learning. Ironically, as you progress and want to jump farther, you will start jumping in a lower gear so that you can launch with more power.

HajiWasAPunk

Aug 5, 2005
High Lord Gomer said:
3. An accomplished jumper can easily get 70-80+ feet out of a 250 in 2nd gear, but that is near peak power at high RPM. Continue what you are doing by shifting up to third well in advance of the jump, just work on continuing to accelerate. Having the engine at lower RPMs make it easier to control while learning. Ironically, as you progress and want to jump farther, you will start jumping in a lower gear so that you can launch with more power.

I just figured this one out myself last week. There was about 55 foot step down pretty quick after a turn. I kept trying to take the turn in 3rd, then short shift to 4th (on a 250f) and seemed to rarely clear it. Finally I just tried it in 3rd but pinned it and it seemed to just drive off the face and I easily cleared it several times in a row. But I did have to get out over the bars further to keep the front end down.

As for the original question, keep the throttle steady all the way up the face until in the air, and then get back on the gas a little before the bike touches down. The faster you go (and higher in the rpms you are) the more you'll need to get your head out over the bars. Just practice these 3 things and keep adding a little more gas each time around.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
If you can't get it with the methods mentioned, try softening the rear rebound about 1/4 turn. This will make it a little easier until you learn to control the bike in the air.

yz125204

Jun 26, 2006
try and keep a constant speed,but do not slow dow doing so will cause the front tire to endo. about the nose diving part make sure your suspension is set right, but dont lean too far back or it will flip you. try and keep a neutral body posistion, try and lift straight up on the bars going off jumps. NOT BACK, but straight up.

molten

Jun 27, 2006
Gomer, good stuff in your reply.......

I also am a newb and have found this motorcycle jumping to be a strange and invigorating new experience...

Well after three nose dives at Hardrock (Ocala, FL), I finally took a header...
I think I chopped the throttle...fortunately no damage (bike or body)...

My question is this what about lips on the jump? I tried power on and off
and I still land nose down......

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
More power! Most, if not all, of us think we are on the gas much harder than we really are. I would suggest video taping to really see how hard you are on the gas, how long, and exactly what your body position is and the results of all of that.

As an example, I swear that it feels like I am almost wound out in 2nd on my 450 to do this 70' double, but when you watch the helmet cam, it sounds like I'm barely on the gas (400K downloand, right-click, save-as): http://themxtrack.com/FollowPat70.wmv

sparkysakitas

~SPONSOR~
Aug 31, 2005
not to get to far off topic , how is hard rock, beg friendly?
i just raced for first time at dade city and was thinking of heading up there also over to bartow

jrwhite

Jun 27, 2006
High Lord Gomer said:
As an example, I swear that it feels like I am almost wound out in 2nd on my 450 to do this 70' double, but when you watch the helmet cam, it sounds like I'm barely on the gas (400K downloand, right-click, save-as):

damn that was 70'? didn't sound like you were even mid rev.

i used to wonder the same thing when jumping, and although i'm not the world's greatest or anything i've found that just staying on the throttle, or blipping the throttle at the right time helps a whole lot. like gomer said, the steeper the face the more power you need. it's the short steep jumps that get me.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
you won't see any pros (or truely fast guys for that matter) or freestylers blipping the throttle, like Gomer said, it's too hard to time right, every time. Miss it, you face plant. Nice solid, steady throttle please.

jrwhite

Jun 27, 2006
Okiewan said:
you won't see any pros (or truely fast guys for that matter) or freestylers blipping the throttle, like Gomer said, it's too hard to time right, every time. Miss it, you face plant. Nice solid, steady throttle please.

yeah i've learned the hard way a few times. thanks.

HajiWasAPunk

Aug 5, 2005
Another problem I had that would cause the nose to dive is that I would slow down before the jump quite a bit. Even though I was holding the throttle constant off the face, the changed in speed made the front end drop at take off. Make sure you have both consistent throttle and speed, if that makes sense.

sparkysakitas said:
not to get to far off topic , how is hard rock, beg friendly?
i just raced for first time at dade city and was thinking of heading up there also over to bartow

I think hardrock has many tracks, some beginner friendly and and some not (i've never been but that's what I've heard).

70' goes by in a hurry when you're on a track. It always amazes people to see a tape on a jump at Bartow. It doesn't look that far until you try to jump it! This is a 60+foot step down/ double http://www.photographybygladys.com/gallery/1607034/10/78116885/Large that takes 3rd gear pinned on the 250F.

molten

Jun 27, 2006
HardRock was great...and I am a beginer.....
If you go on a Sunday you just about have the place to yourself....
Beginner track, Sand track, and Roller Coaster were all pretty easy,
but I am not even close to race pace.........There are three more tracks
we did not try...I will definitely go again and will recommend it highly....

sparkysakitas

~SPONSOR~
Aug 31, 2005
cool maybee ill head up there on sunday(how far away from there are you?
)
i am nowhere near race pace yet i just kinda jumped in and did it i placed 9th in my class which was dead last :laugh:
but i finished the race(was also up against 450's and 250 2 strokes)me on my 125 :ride:

Jun 27, 2006
At least you guys have the you know whats to get out there sparkysakitas and molten. I'm 39 and wana get out there but when I think about possible injuries I talk myself out of it mainly because I have 2 kids + wife and am the only income. I do have land and do ride as much as possible on the track I made for me and my son to practice on and occasionally at the local MX track during practice nights. Our track has jumps and SX style corners but we ride alone and don't have to worry about washing out and getting ran over or jumped on. I'm not really worried about the occasional crash as much as I am the part where someone runs you over or lands on top of you during the occasional crash on a crowded track, that gets me thinking of income loss. Maybe wife will land a good job so I don't have to worry about that issue and can race. :think:

SVTMc-G

Apr 1, 2006
I'm too scared to commit to "going for it" on jumps. I too HAVE to work! I need to find that happy medium between being a wuss...and having enough "eggs" to push just a bit......dang jobs!haha

HajiWasAPunk

Aug 5, 2005
I'm 33 have 3 kids and one on the way and my wife doesn't work! I told a 15 year old I was racing against that my priorities are to be safe, have fun, and worry about how I place. He looks at me and says "mine are the exact opposite". :)

The best advice I can give is to hook up with a local MX school. They'll help you get the form right on easy jumps and then let you know when you're ready to try something big. 9 months ago I had never been on a track in my life. My son and I have been at least twice a month and I'm able to do 60 foot doubles now (I'm still pretty slow, but am having a blast).

Jun 27, 2006
2 ribs, thats a pesky injury, every time you cough or sneeze it feels like someones stabbing you :yikes: . I'm not on my feet working as I drive an 18 wheeler, ((home every evening of coarse)) so the main injuries that would take me out of work are the common ones like not to servere wrists, arm and leg injuries. ((Knock on wood)) I've been riding since 85 and I have had no injury that has ever taken me outa work although I have had a few in my single days, now I find myself ridding with to much cation. SVTMc-G I have a double phobia, will the back end kick out thus making me come up short land sideways on the following #2 with some one landing on me ouch. Other than that, it's all good. Tables are a great way to start jumping on SVTMc-G, start easy to get use to being in the air and see how your bike does while in air. Just remember a good center position on the bike and a steady throttle while attacking a jump is the key to it all coming out good + never land sitting and always throttle back up as soon or a little before you land. Once you get comfortable with the pace go a little more.

Top Bottom