A.T. Hun

May 10, 2007
Newbie needs 1st dirt bike advice

Hello Gang, Thx for dropping in on my thread & giving me some advice!
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
I'm 6'3" & 230lbs.

2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
I ride my mtn bike pretty aggressively as well as my track bike.(SV650)

3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
I plan on riding trails/woods w/the occasional trip to the mx track (i'm an old bmx'r so i gotta give it a try :) )

4) Do you have any riding experience?
As far as m-cycles, I have road/track experience on my street bikes...as far as the dirt goes, I ride/race a full suspension mountain bike.

5) Do you think you will race ? possibly some kind of woods/ enduro race.
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
Yes, i can turn a wrench & will do as much work as possible...when i get stuck I call a friend...when that doesn't happen, i go to the shop.

7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
I'm very confused here on whether to go 2/4 stroke? I've read alot about the pros/cons of each, but what works best for a newbie. I own Honda, Kawi & Suzuki street bikes so I'm used to Jap bikes....I would consider a KTM exc model.

8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
Yes, All Jap & KTM

9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?
As lil as possible...seriously, i'm in the $1500-2000 range. I'm currently looking @ a 03 KDX220R for $1600, a 02 WR250f for $1500, a 00 KLX300 for $1200+ gear, a 03YZ250 for $1800 & a couple of other KDX's in the $1500-2000 range
10) Do you live in California?
Nope, Georgia & possibly moving home to Texas in the future.

11) Your age?
35 going on 25 :)

12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion
I want a bike that will be dependable & will help me grow. I want to become a better all-around rider & riding in the dirt is a must. I've only been riding m-cycles since 2003 & I plan on riding for a loooong time. I'm an adrenaline junkie & I love riding anything w/ 2 wheels. I like wrenching & keeping up on my bike maintenance...all that said, i'd rather be riding than wrenching any day. Thx again for any & all replies. L8r, A.T. Hun :cool:

Last edited:
May 10, 2007
i would be careful of that wr. used thumpers are always a gamble. ask the owner about maintmence etc. otherwise it would be a great starter.

as for the 2 stroke 4 stroke thing. 2 strokes are harder to learn on becuase of lack of low end power and then a powerband. 4t are easier to learn on and have more low end power. also a more mellow powerband.

Jan 3, 2007
Out of the bikes you listed the KDX220 is great for woods but you might get board of the power fairly quickly if you advance in mountain biking quick and like to push the limits ( i am a mountain biker more so trials/street). I think the WR250F would be good but you might run out of power quick. The YZ250 is your best bet. It makes one of the best Harescrammble bikes or Enduro bike out there. With a pipe and flywheel weight the YZ becomes a great woods bike with nice smooth power. Final verdict YZ250.

A.T. Hun

May 10, 2007
yz250, huh....isn't that a death wish for a newbie dirt rider or does the flywheel weight make that big of a difference in the way the power is distributed? i also read that you can't really lug a 2 stroke as you'll foul out the plugs...going to check out a kdx & yz today :cool: thx for the replies, fellas..keep'em coming! l8r, ATH

mikef189

Jul 8, 2007
I think a good starter bike for your hight and weight would be a CRF250 for a year, then go bigger after that. OH, if your not wrecking your not learning. Expect It :laugh:

crkid33

Jun 20, 2007
i agree with 2 strokes for life, some of the other ones after while would get boring becuase of the power. so i would have to go with the yz 250

mikef189

Jul 8, 2007
I agree with the two stroke guys, although a two stroke tends to scare the crap out of new riders. Build your confidence with a four stroke then go two. ;)

A.T. Hun

May 10, 2007
test rode a modded 03 kdx200 & i liked it...have appts to check out some kdx 220's & a klx 300 this weekend...the seller of the klx is throwing in all his gear w/the bike & is desperate to sell...is $1000 for a 2000 klx 300 + gear a great deal?? all the demos are probably gonna be like my last one...riding up & down the street in a neighborhood....just spoke w/ a seller of a 2002 wr250f w/ 250 miles on the odo...he just got a 2007 wr250f & wants to sell his 02 asap..decisions, decisions...keep up w/ the great feedback fellas. l8r, ATH :cool:

Jan 3, 2007
A.T. Hun, i would go for WR over KLX anyday but that is a fair deal. What is the lowest the WR guy will go? if its $1000 to $1500 it will be great. The KLX is a great bike but is easly over passed by skill fairly quick.

Top Bottom