dangergirldh

Nov 23, 2003
I just bought at dirt bike on Monday and have never ridden before. I went out in the woods for an hour yesterday and did alright, but was pretty slow. The deep puddles really got me good, but I was comfortable on the singletrack. I race mountain bikes so I am comfortable on the bike I just need to figure out when to shift, trail etiquette, and other basic dirt biking issues. I am really excited and having a blast so far, but I am looking for people in CT to ride with (that wouldn't mind a few slow rides). I think I will pick it up pretty quick once I learn the basics. Any advice is greatly appreciated! :)

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
Welcome to the dirtbike world! Glad you had fun on you first trip out. I'm no where close or i would take you out for a slow ride. There are afew people up your way that maybe able to help you out.

Best advice is to take it slow (like your doing). Play around on different obsticles til you get the hang of it and slowly change the terrain. Most important is to always keep atleast one finger on the front brake lever. This helps prevent you from cracking the gas full throttle and the bike getting out of control if you happen to hit a bump. I did this which made the 450 shoot off a jump and result in a broken leg and ankle. Now my finger never leaves the lever and i cant pin it wide open by accident. :)

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
Welcome Dangergirl!

Nice to see more ladies getting into the sport. The only thing I would add to TJ's post is that if possible, don't ride alone. I know it isn't always an option, but if it is it helps. Especially if the riding partner is slightly better than you. You can watch and learn while haveing a good time on the trails.

dangergirldh

Nov 23, 2003
riding alone

It was a bit intimidating riding alone. I just feel bad asking people to ride with me because I am not fast yet....I will be soon! I have been practicing around my yard (its pretty big-may have to build a track!) and across the street in the woods every day. I am going slow enough to stay in control until I feel more comfortable with riding a dirt bike. I find it to be a combination of riding my mountain bike and driving a stick! I'm learnin, and keep the great advice coming. :laugh: :yeehaw:

BBdotcom

Sep 26, 2004
Thanks Papa and RM for that reminder NOT to ride alone
i have horror stories of two of my buddies riding alone on two separate occasions.. one broke his leg and had to crawl out of the woods .. took him 2.5 hours now he has to wear a brace on his leg for the rest of his life and the other broke 3 ribs, punctured a lung and ruptured his spleen.. he crawled out of the woods too .. both spent lengthy spells in the hospital and are scared for life
If you have to ride alone stay close to home and make sure someone knows where your going and how long your going for
Riding is a blast and loads of fun .. but can be a very dangerous sport
Ride Safe have fun
Tom
I hope i don't scare someone from riding but this is reality

Last edited:

dangergirldh

Nov 23, 2003
alone

I have been trying to ride with other people. The alone thing is a bit scary. I bring my phone, tell people when and where I am going, and do try to stay close to home. I already broke my toe, but I am having a freakin blast!!!!! I love the tight singletrack so much! I can't believe how addicting dirtbiking is. I am riding scarier things on my dirtbike than I do on my mountain bike! Unbelievable. I love my dirtbike!!!!!!! :yeehaw: :aj:

BBdotcom

Sep 26, 2004
Great to hear!!
i know exactly how you feel .. i think all of us have that feeling when we're riding :ride:
I don't have my own dirt bike yet but do get to ride a few of my friends bikes on the weekends, looking forward to each weekend
BTW there is a good forum on here on Riding / Training techniques if you have any questions i'm sure theres someone there that'll have good advice for you
Ride Safe
Tom

Top Bottom