News on KDX 220 changes for 2004

Flying Scot

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 13, 2002
I am looking to find out if Kawasuki has any plans to change the KDX 220 for '04. After recent EPA changes I want to find out what is in store for this bike and if there is any info out there thta I can read. Surfed the web but have not come up with anything that might hint a change or if there will be an '04. Anyone who can see the future let us know !
Thanks

KdxChode

Jun 18, 2001
They just did a major change for 03. Black tank, silver frame , and Bold New Graphics. I wouldn't count on anything but graphics for a while now.

Nevada Sixx

Jan 14, 2000
its strange that they havent really changed anything in the engine and suspension in a while. all the mx bikes get lots of small changes.

Flying Scot

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 13, 2002
Okay, it was a little much but I hoped an expert or close connection to step in. I am ready to get a KDX 220 and am waiting for one reason - the changes made to the KX125 / 250 this year and rumours that in Japan that the 220 is no more. Proof is in the pudding ( whatever that means ). Step up if you know something, rumour or facticious. Are there going to be any changes to the KDX220 in 2003 or 2004 ? Talk and tell all. This is a forum for a great bike that should be entitled to good rumours ( remember most good rumours spread correctly can have a habit of becoming fact ). Let the deaf ears hear !

No inference of any kind or intentional deformation of character was made in this commercial to the hearing impaired or those of the culinary persuasion. :thumb:

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Lets face it. The KDX220R, at $4,399, is a real bargin. It's $1,500 (without a discount) less than a KX250. The KX is not as good in the woods as the KDX. The money saved will buy you any suspension mods you might want or need.

I think Kawasaki has played the KDX card well. You can walk into any Kawasaki dealer today and expect to pay less than $4,000 for a new KDX. Slightly used models are even less and they will have most of the engine mods that you'd put on 'em anyway (pipe & silencer).

So what needs to be changed that you can't get from the aftermarket? What if Kawasaki updated the KDX? Do you really want to spend $5,000 plus on a KDX that you'll have to (or want to) modify anyway?

Gary

JCV 220R

Oct 13, 1999
I think the KDX most people want to see would look something like this
kxkdx2.jpg
. I would pay $5k tomorrow

Flying Scot

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 13, 2002
Ah ha ! I have awoken the great and almighty canyncarvr. :worship:

Whilst you are correct Sir in your observation that I come from a lineage that prefers to mutate all around ( normally the ground when I hit it with appendages on my torso ) including age old proverbs.

"The proof is in the pudding," a fairly common mutation of the proverb, does make a certain amount of sense, i.e., that the final product, not the recipe, is what counts.

http://www.word-detective.com/081100.html#proofpudding

My aim and game is to encourage a discussion started from my original post. Does Kawasaki plan to continue this line of timeless machinery ( KDX 220 ) or with it's new host ( Suzuki ) and the environmental pressures that are being levied in the great off road pursuit of perpetual bliss, intend to drop the 2-stroke in favour of a 4 - stroke as they have introduced the 4 - stroke KLX125's ?

Is it possible ? Sure. Would it be easy ? Sure. Why would they do it ? To show that they care about the environment and what the EPA thinks so as to keep there name clean not be an EPA target and continue to sell 2-stroke 125 and 250's tagged as competition bikes.

I worry a lot but I have good reason. Let me know the future that is all I care !

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Thats what I like about this forum - boredom stands not a chance!!! And winter has just begun..........
Woodsy

sledman

Oct 23, 2002
The KLX 125 is merely a DRZ125 with green plastic. It's a DOG. Entry level at best. too heavy for the suspension it has, and not enough go power. We traded my wife's '03 DRZ125 4 weeks ago on a new KX100. NOW she's happy! I just wish they made a KDX in a 100 or 125 version......

Flying Scot

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 13, 2002
:think: See things have changed, the EPA influence is causing a ripple. It is not that I think the KDX220R is obselete, the other manufacturers are making more bikes of the 4-stroke variety ( CRF230F it's RED ) that are there to replace their 2-stokes in preparation for 2006. I already have an eye on a well treated KDX2220R for next year but fear that shortly after Kawasaki will drop the 2-stroke and come out with an equivelant ( but not superior ) 4-stroke.

Thanks for your comment Woodsy, Canyon Clutter has not replied - YET !

Sledman, yes they are Suzuki's and it goes towards what Kawasaki said at the beginning of the year that they were turning towards being more Family orientated which allows for less superior 4-strokes that really are not meant for competition but for Family fun ( like my wife who will get one whether she wants it or not ). I have little experience but enjoy the fun, especially trailing my son and daughter and seeing there faces every time they overcome a new challenge. Had a KX250 this year but wasn't good for what I was doing so I got rid of it.

JVC 220R - Great bike if I had the time to make the sport my biggest passion I would not hesitate to plonk down what was required to get the best.

RV6junkie - Local guy and I have been told Paragon which I saw you answer posts on is a great place to ride. $4,399 Motgomeryville cycle was offering a 2003 KDX220 for $3,990 1 month ago. In April when I got the 2002 KX250 still in the crate it cost $4350. I am not worried about an update more I am worried about extermination of a species.

So who wants to go next ! What may happen to the KDX220R ?

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
It doesn't much matter. Even if they drop the KDX parts and bikes will be around for a while. Years from now the choice will be 4 stroke or don't ride; that's when I'll be on a 4 stroke (or maybe sooner if they keep getting better, cheaper, & lighter).

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Hey Flyin' Scot, your information is correct...Paragon is a great place to ride. Check out the "Damn Yankee" posts in "Places to Ride". May 3 & 4.

And I do agree, 2-strokes will soon be history. But I'm sure that Kawasaki will have a KDX replacement that is competitive with the WR250f and the (soon to be released) CR250f. KDX250f anyone?

Gary

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Originally posted by JCV 220R
I think the KDX most people want to see would look something like this
kxkdx2.jpg
. I would pay $5k tomorrow

That's what I'd want if kawi was to do any changes. Better seat ergo's, the forks seem ok for me as long as you spend some money @ rec tech of coarse you fast guy's there most likey way out dated. of coarse that's way there's KTM.

fuzzy

~SPONSOR~
Jul 26, 2002
KDX250f....Will be intresting to see what happens in '06. As to the pseudoKDX-f being like a WR, or EXC I hope not. IMO, the KDX is in a class of bikes all by itself...No one makes an equivelent right now. I hope adding a 4-sloth powerplant doesn't change this fact.

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
My 94 KDX (with minor mods) has forced my buddy to sell his 01 KLX; he's getting a YZF so he can lead for a change! Those bikes are just plain slow.

sledman

Oct 23, 2002
And at only about 8 lbs, heavier dry weight, they ride a LOT heavier. My friend nad his wife each got a new one (KLX300) 3 weeks ago. And my 220 will smoke it! They say a pipe and pumper carb make a big difference, however. Wouldn't change the heavy feel of the bike, though.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom