Bill Wright

Apr 15, 2003
I am new to the sport of motocross and race in the vet class up in Canada. I bought my 5 year old son a xr50 at the end of last year and this year it does not seem like it is enough bike for him. I have been showing him the little that I know and he is braking, looking ahead, taking small jumps/whoops, and I have been told by more experienced riders that he is showing good style and control. He says that he wants to race this year and I am considering letting him. Bottom line is I want him to have fun and be able to ride at his ability. I do not want to scare him off of bikes nor do I want him to be at such a disadvantage on the track that it is not fun either. I am considering a KTM but the 50 line-up of the bikes is more than confusing. Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Bill

Brianc

Nov 14, 2001
KTM has two series of 50cc dirt bikes. The adventure series is a 5 - 6 h.p. bike, not enough power to win. The pro series is their high output race engine 10 plus h.p. Then you break it down into sike size with the Jr and the Sr models The Jr is a lower seat height, about equal to the xr50, and the Sr has a 25.5 inch seat height . Those are the basic differences. There are other minor differences in the brakes and forks and rear shock, but the seat height and the engine power are the main points.

Have you considered the xr options? You can buy big bore kits and suspension parts. Some local tracks have separate classes for the xr50 and some just allow them to run with the 2 strokes even with all the mods. The main point being that the kids have fun. Check your local tracks and consider that, especially if he is fond of his xr and likes shifting.

Bill Wright

Apr 15, 2003
Thankx for the input Brianc. I will check into the xr options. I have looked at some of them in the past and it seemed as expensive as picking up another bike. I am thinking of keeping the xr50 for him to play ride around the farm with. I am guessing it will save me some time on KTM repairs.
bill

200Proof1

Mar 30, 2003
If he's wanting to race go with the KTM Pro Jr. It it's to much bike for him at first you can tone it down with gearing or clutch set-up. Go to www.ktmtalk.com and you can get all the info you need on the mini KTM's. But be warned, racing 50's are nowhere near as bullet proof as the XR, be ready to wrench on the 50 10x more than you do your bike. This is coming from a guy that has a KTM Pro Sr & a YZ250.

200Proof1

Mar 30, 2003
Hey, since you're from Canada I have to ask what's up with your Prime Minister? He needs a good butt kicking for the comments he's been making, like saying if Saddam or any other Iraq officials come to Canada he won't turn them over. With only a 50,000 strong military in Canada we could come up there and take him if we had too.

Bill Wright

Apr 15, 2003
Hey 200proof thankx for the feedback in you initial post. I appreciate it and will check out the site.

I agree that the Canadian PM has not handled the Iraq issues well at all and believe me that the majority of Canadian's support the US and its alies. However I do not feel that this is the place for a discussion on how poorly Canada has handled the conflict.

Thankx again for your assistance.
bill

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom