Oskar

Nov 30, 2001
My son has been riding a XR 80 this past year, and now has outgrown it. We ride trail only and I doubt if he'll ever ride track. He is 5' even now. The question is whats next.
I am looking at a klx/DRZ/TT 125's and KX/RM/YZ 80-85's
Which one of those would be better trail bikes.
His next bike after 1 of these is a KX 100 that we already have, unless it won't make a good trail bike.

nospeed

Jun 27, 2006
My son had a RM85 that he raced. He tried to trail ride with it but didn't like it. I believe that the 85 2 strokes are all more for racing then playing, but this is only my opinion.

If you are not going to race I would like into the new Honda CRF150RB (B being the big wheel version). This looks like it would make the ultimate play bike but it will cost over $4,000.

HajiWasAPunk

Aug 5, 2005
At his age, he's probably already o.k. for the KX100. It's huge power difference so I'd take him to some fields to ride in for a while. My thought is Why buy a bike to ride for a few months or year and then lose money selling it if you already have another bike to ride?

Oskar

Nov 30, 2001
Unfortunately, my son can't reach the ground on the 100. I am not sure if he can ride well enough for that.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
The KX100 and the KX85 are the same bike, with the exception of the wheels and the bore. Just have smaller rims laced on to the hubs and you are set to go. The KX100 is a great woods bike.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
I put my boy on a KX85 at age 8. We shaved the seat and lowered the suspension. He's 10 now and rides the bike quite well. He's even done a couple of hare scrambles.

I vote for the KX100 now. Since you're only trail riding, you can soften up the rear and slip the forks up in the triple clamp if shaving the seat isn't enough. He'll grow into it before ya know it.

mini mxer

Dec 22, 2006
I had a xr 80 and then went to a kx85 on acount i ride mostly riding mxtracks, but it was a good step, a big one power wise but it worked, The bike is actually really good in trails, id say get an 85, its good on the trails and if he ever wants to ride on tracks its a great bike. and not uncontrollable.

150rguy

I got fat bars!
Dec 21, 2006
I agree, i would go with the 85.

kawicam250

I bleed green!
Aug 7, 2006
funny, the new guys here on CRF150Rs are recommending 85s :whoa: . anyway, i would just put him on the KX100 after you either shave the seat, or raise the sag on the shock. raising the sag on the shock will make the bike sit lower once he sits on it. the KX100, along with the KX85, is a great trail/woods bike :cool: .

blackduc98

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Dec 19, 2005
I've noticed with my own son that the easiest way to discourage a kid is to put him on a machine that's too tall or too fast. In the woods it is very important for the kid to be able to easily reach the ground, and to man-handle his own bike, otherwise you will end up doing a lot of it for him. Simple things like kick-starting become a problem if the bike is even a little too tall. I would recommend a yamaha TTR-125 which comes in 2 sizes. Main difference between the 2 is the size of wheels and length of swingarm. TTRs are still in production, so you can go to your local dealer and try it on for size and see which one fits your son. The power delivery is very non-threatening, but it pulls like a tractor so your son won't be in trouble if he ends up in the wrong gear going up a hill. There is enough for a 10 year old to learn without worrying about feathering the clutch of a pipey 2-stroke. You can buy an '00 or an '01 for about $1000, and you'll probably get most of your money back when you sell it. But to me the economics are secondary to my son's confidence in being able to handle his bike.

slater

Dec 30, 2006
nospeed said:
My son had a RM85 that he raced. He tried to trail ride with it but didn't like it. I believe that the 85 2 strokes are all more for racing then playing, but this is only my opinion.

If you are not going to race I would like into the new Honda CRF150RB (B being the big wheel version). This looks like it would make the ultimate play bike but it will cost over $4,000.

the crf150rb is a serious racer bike, most 150's at my track beat any 2 stroke, even modded bikes, mayb the 150f is prob 1 if the better choices for a play bike, it all comes down to what he feels comfortable on :cool:

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
Pay attention to Blackduc's comments. If your son is anything like my 12 y.o. daughter, he'll have an opinion on what bike he would LIKE to have. My daughter was outgrowing her XR80, but she didn't want to move up to our XR100. You see, she is a Chad Reed fan, so she wanted a blue bike! So, in Dec., we sold her 80 and bought a used TTR125 L (large wheel). She now can't wait to go riding! The XR100 is about the same size & is lighter. It's only drawback (stock) is that it has the stiffest clutch pull you will find on any modern bike of any size. I recently ordered XR80 clutch springs for our 100; My 14 yo daughter complains about it and rides our TRX250 4 wheeler instead.

Your son will probably be able to ride anything suggested here, but will WANT to ride more if it is the bike HE wants to ride. The XR 100, TTR125, DRZ125 & (?)Kawasaki 125 are all VERY similar in size & performance and are what I would recommend, especially since you mostly trail ride. I have found it usually costs me $50-250 net, after reselling one of my kids bikes. So, if you shop well, finances become a non-issue.

My daughter's goal is to improve her skills on the 125 so she can earn a YZ85. Good Luck & remember to ride as much as you two can! :cool: :ride:

Top Bottom