Moose

~SPONSOR~
Sep 16, 2006
I was just wondering how many of you actually own nitro or gas powered rc cars. What style they are (truck/car/buggy). Average speed. And any opinions. I'm looking into buying one. Just wanted to see how many of you guys own em and what you think of them. I've been thinking of getting a truck style, build it myself...i'd be happy if i got it going over 35 mph.

wyatt

Apr 3, 2002
Get on TRAXXAS website and check out the REVO 3.3.

These things rip . I saw one this summer. About the coolest thing I have seen in a long time. I was on my way to buying one when I got "clearance" to by a new ski doo rev. So the truck has to wait. When you get your truck can I come over?

Last edited:

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
My bro had a gas powered truck, car and buggy at one time that he raced. Those things rip! The car he could actually back flip. His were pretty fast we clocked the car at 55mph. The only thing is the parts can get very costly. He was constantly blowing out the dif. on the truck and breaking parts on the car. He was pretty rough with them and ran them pretty hard and always working on them because of it. He got out of it because of the costs to keep them running correctly. The gas alone was something like $15 a gal.
He actually let me try the car out once. The throttle response was crazy! It actually got away from me and I accidently slammed it into a mailbox post. Needless to say I was never allowed to touch it again.

The truck was cool too, but not as sweet as the car.

railer

Nov 4, 2005
wow, I just watched the video on that REVO 3.3, and the damn thing did a tail whip over a jump! How awsome is that.

Moose

~SPONSOR~
Sep 16, 2006
Traxxas, I wouldn't consider. My grandpa builds them custom. He said that he'd help me tune them, if I got a truck. My grandpa scares me sometimes..He's crazy with anything that moves. Honest, he used to race MX in the 70's/80's. I think that effected him. Haha, in a good way. Everything he owns is souped up. From his golfcart to his old truck. He drag races now, s15 - fastest et was 7.15. that freaked me out. but he first introduced me gas powered vehicles aout 5 years ago, when 30 mph was fast. but now i see 75+ mph. now that is fast.

geraldo

Oct 12, 2004
I have used a car and truck. You must have a place to drive them first of all. These things are fast. The custom truck I used was 4 wheel drive and had a 2 or 3 speed transmission. It would throw rocks the size of my fist 20 feet. I don't know that I ever got it in an area I could top it out in. They are costly to maintain but I still can't believe the acceleration they have.
You would probably have more fun though spending the money on a bike for a friend so they can ride with you. Just my personal comment.

Moose

~SPONSOR~
Sep 16, 2006
haha. my friends can buy their own bikes. i want another hobby. for days when i just need to spin up some dirt or tear up the asphalt, when im unable to go riding.

thebleakness

Sep 19, 2006
I used to race nitro cars/buggies. I had a traxxas nitro sport and that went about 40mph or so. It was fast and like the others said, costly to maintain. Then i got into radio control airplanes, it all went downhill from there....

Those things are EXPENSIVE. They are so much more fun then cars though IMO. With a car you can go forwards, left/right, accelerate, crash. With an airplane its forwards, left/right, accelerate, up/down, inverted, crash. :p My q500 goes 120mph and when that thing comes down the runway in a low pass its amazing.

What ever you decide to do though, you'll have fun. Radio control is an awesome hobby, definatly one that can also burn a hole in your pocket.

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
YES!! i love them, except they DO break and you have to take care of them ALOT!

but dont let tha scare you.. its a great hobbby..

I have a Traxxas T-maxx 2.5 and had an HIP rush evo.

IF i were you and you didnt want to race, and just wiz around your back yard with it, and have alot of strength in it. i would but the HPI Savage .25 or the bigger one (cant thhink of the name at this exact moment. thats a great Turck, very strong, and it will average at 35mph.. but you can get 3speed, and other performance to make it go faster..

If you want to race, then you might want a Revo 3.3(averages about 45mph), a buggy, a truggy(buggy and truck) or a stadium ruck (Traxxas Jato 3.3 is good, averages about 55mph i think) or if yo live in flat paved areass, then a car )i think there boring, because i wouldnt be ablt to drive them.

I dont have a buggy, or a truggy.. or a car o i couldnt really oint youin any drection with that, so you would have to go andaks http://forums.radiocontrolzone.com/forumdisplay.php?f=211. they will give you the best deals and stuff for your situation..

Mopar

Senior C

Feb 27, 2006
I have a Revo, a Jato, and a Mayham buggy. IMO the buggy is the most fun, the most power and the fastest. It also comes with the best radio control for close to the same price. Look up Sportworks Mayham

Al2707

Jun 22, 2006
IF i were you and you didnt want to race, and just wiz around your back yard with it, and have alot of strength in it. i would but the HPI Savage .25 or the bigger one (cant thhink of the name at this exact moment. thats a great Turck, very strong, and it will average at 35mph.. but you can get 3speed, and other performance to make it go faster

A stock savage 25 will hit around 40mph tops, ive put a tuned pipe on mine, performacnce air filter and 3 speed, mine will probly hit around 55mph now, its realy cool, you wouldnt belive the hights it can drop from and the jumps it can do, basicly the same as a crosser.

Moose

~SPONSOR~
Sep 16, 2006
Ive wanted to build my own. My grandpa recommends it. Says I'll learn about engines, and such. Should prepare me for Auto Mech. next year.

emaxxer2002

Sep 22, 2006
elliot67 said:
Ive wanted to build my own. My grandpa recommends it. Says I'll learn about engines, and such. Should prepare me for Auto Mech. next year.

I'm into nitro R/C's as well. I've got an E-maxx and a T-maxx decked out in UE parts (best stuff you can buy). If you want to build your own, then there's kit versions of a lot of trucks, or you can just pick a type of truck you want to build and go from there.

For a first vehicle I'd look into either a Revo 3.3 or a Losi LST 2, both are great trucks.

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
yea.. there are kits out there... but there sint one for alot of trucks.. its moving into rtr's now (ready to run) right out of the box... so good lick with finding them

rm_racer

Mar 15, 2005
I used to be into it. Ive wanted a RC truck for a long time. I have a heli thats never left the ground haha.. Kyosho (I think thats how you spell it?) Nexus .30. I have a Century Hummingbird electric too. Doesnt work anymore.. probably because that one actually left the ground haha. Im a member on the Traxxas borads.. banshee_dude.. Im not really active there anymore tho.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom