GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Last week I was riding my bike in the 'hood just warming it up and checking it out before loading it up to go ride at nearby Carnegie with my friend rickyd. I was in third gear coming up to a stop sign and realized I had no front brakes. I quickly geared down and slowed down enough not to fly through the intersection - Doh! The thing that struck me as odd was that I didn't even CONSIDER using the rear brake to slow down, one of my biggest issues out on the trail is that I rarely if ever utilize the rear brake. I've had a considerable number of washouts on steeper downhills because of this reluctance.

So instead of fixing the front brake, I went ahead and loaded up the bike and continued on to my destination. I remembered that Nikki once suggested disconnecting the front brake to force myself to use the rear and I gotta tell you, this really helped a lot, even though when she first suggested it, I thought she was nuts.

I was out of my comfort zone for sure, but I was much more cognizant of the rear brake as a tool and enabler. I'm going to try this technique for a while in controlled environments and see how much I improve.

tonibaloney

I'm here
Sep 19, 2006
no front brake at carnegie!!!! how were the downhills? i always end up using too much back brake downhill and around she goes! it sounds like a pretty good idea though. i'd definetly be outta my comfort zone too. so, how was carnegie? nice and tacky or did it dry up by then?

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Hahah! Toni, there was NO WAY I was going to attempt any of those hills without my brakes!! I just cruised around down below and practiced drills and small hills.

progirlz

Sep 8, 2006
OMG!! That sounds so crazy. Definatly would have been out of my comfort zone. I 've been much better trying to use the backs since switching bikes. I still dont use it enough, it doesnt come naturally to me. Good Luck.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
met a guy in the woods once using that technique..............he had a broken collar bone.

true story, we got him out of the woods in my jeep and took him directly to the hospital

make sure you dont learn that lesson :(

WomanRider

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jul 19, 2006
I never use the front brake. When I first started riding I would use it out of panic and crash. I am a back brake rider. How do I change?

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
I am a wicked bad front brake user - especially going downhills!

Natty - glad you didn't get hurt, first of all! I think I may try this technique - I could certainly use the practice on rear brake usage.

Moose

~SPONSOR~
Sep 16, 2006
To be honest, to this day, I've never rode with a front brake.

Sure wished I did going around a fire road corner in 3rd gear pinned...let's just say me and the stop sign had a close encounter.

tonibaloney

I'm here
Sep 19, 2006
GETMETOCA said:
Hahah! Toni, there was NO WAY I was going to attempt any of those hills without my brakes!! I just cruised around down below and practiced drills and small hills.[/QUOTE

those hills scared the crap outta me on my xr200! those drum brakes were sooo crappy, it felt like there was no braking at all! i really appreciate my disc brakes now. i'm still way scared of some of those downhills, but the good front brake gives me alot more confidence.

Octane250F

Uhhh...
Oct 21, 2006
I too use mostly front brake. You have a lot more braking power with the front than you do the rear. However, if you dont use both you arent getting all the braking performance out of your bike. You just have to practice and sense how hard you can use the brakes in a given situation.

Ivy

Jan 8, 2007
Just Curious... Why are there more front-brake drivers than rear-break drivers? is that some habit developed from motocrossing? like habitual braking styles for exhibition?

which section in the forum where they discuss braking styles/techniques. etc...
I always use both front and rear on the road... i'm not even sure if this is the right technique.

progirlz

Sep 8, 2006
Hi Ivy, you know I did a search and found a couple threads where they discussed some braking methods. I did not find a whole thread dedicated to braking only techniques. Maybe you could start a new thread. Braking 101. Do you ride trails or tracks? I know I was told going downhill to use more back and a little front. I was told in the sand to use a little back brake. Going around a berm...back. I tend to always use the front. I am getting better since I switched bikes. I know I would benefit from such a thread.

wr3cked

Apr 27, 2005
it also has alot to do with wiether you ride 2 stroke or 4 stroke. alot of 2 stroke riders like myself HAVE to use the rear brake to slow down espechally on tracks. in fact i find my slelf locking up the rear to slide the rear end aroudn turns more than not. from my time on 450s ill admit i get a lil lazy on the rear brake because well, you down have to slam a gear down and it does the braking for you.

Ivy

Jan 8, 2007
@progirls... i ride on Tracks coz my bike's motarded plus I just learned to ride motocycle two weeks ago, Jan 8 to be exact... hehehe yes, i think i should start a thread on BRaking Techniques...

@wrecked.. how do you do that rear sliding thing... teach teach teach... share us yuor tricks...

Top Bottom