Braking 101 - Tips/Techniques/Tricks

Ivy

Jan 8, 2007
Share us your Tips/TEchniques/Tricks

I read from another thread...

1."you can use the front brake to set up a drift through high speed corners" <<<<< How?

2. "From all the traing tips Ive heard 75% of bracking should be with the front and I use it about 70%, but I almost never use it in the mud" <<<<< Why not in the mud?

3. "I use alot of front brake, practice, practice and even more practice. Also when practing using the front brake, grip the shrouds w/your knees/legs. it will make you faster"<<< Nice Tip

4. "i use my front brake in good traction situations, but if i try to use it in sand... i usually end up on the ground." <<<< hehehe

5. What if the MC is motarded... is it the same?

6. "You can use the front brake to control a drift through a turn. If you just stomp the rear brake going into a turn, the rear wheel will track in line behind the front until you try to turn when you low side. In order to get it to step out and start a controlled slide, you apply a little bit of front brake as the rear starts sliding. The more front you apply, the more the rear wheel steps out. That is how the Supermotard guys do it." <<<< COol!!!

7. "Yeah - in the class I took in 05, the instructor made us practice corners with ONLY the front brake for about an hour and a half." <<<< TEach us How.. Share it please.

8. "i personally like to slide into corners and sometimes drift if its a 90 degree corner. i primarily use the rear brake to slide and the front brake to drift, but if im coming into a corner to fast, the front brake is my life-saver." <<< What's the Difference with Drift and sliding? how do you drift and how do you slide?

9. "Whats all this??? You should NOT be on the brakes in the corner or sliding, squaring off a corner, maybe, but all your braking should be done BEFORE the corner, in the corner you should be on the GAS! Before the corner you are in a preferred position for braking, GET off the seat, elbows up and attack, ALL your braking strength is in the FRONT,engine braking and back in that order." <<< This guy Sounds like a Pro.. thanks for the tip. More of this please!!!

10. "A little tip when learning to use the front brake is to only use one finger on the lever. Most beginners use all of their fingers on the brake lever. If the front tire starts to slide, the most natural thing to do is grip the handlebar tighter. If you are using all of your fingers on the lever, it is almost impossible to release the lever. This will result in locking up the front tire and losing the front end.

If you only use one finger on the lever it gives you the rest of your fingers to grip the bar. If you start to lock up the front wheel, you can release the lever while still gripping the bar.

To be competitive you must learn to use the front brake in all conditions. Even in the middle of a corner while leaned over or in mud or sand. There are many decreasing radius corners where you may have to slow down in the middle of the corner while leaning over. If you don't have the feel for the front lever you can't do this.

Practise skidding the front wheel while setting up straight. Skid the wheel and then release until you can control the skid. Then practise it in corners

Be sure to wear all of your safety gear while learning to do this since you will most likely go down a few times getting the feel for the front brake." <<< MORE from PROS!!!!

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Difference between drifting and sliding:
Drifting is done under power, rear tire should be spinning and hung out wide.
Sliding is done under braking, rear tire should not be spinning, it's a good way to set up for a drift.

You may slide into a turn, but you are more likely to drift out of it.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
I wouldn't say you don't want the rear tire spinning during a slide. If the rear tire stops turning, you lose all of your stability. You've got to get it to just start locking up.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Tip #0: Anytime you are reading advice from people on an internet forum, try to evaluate how much of an authority the writer is on the subject.

For future reference:
- ol89'r used to race pro and has won his class (mor than once) at the famous Elsinore GP. He is also humble and careful about his suggestions.
- Will Pattison is an incredibly smooth A (AA?) rider who posts in this forum some.
- I'm a Vet B / C rider who is really only qualified to help with beginner techniques, but since I posted this, you should question the validity of even that. ;)

Ivy

Jan 8, 2007
Sir.. could you tell me which one? i'm sure it will be very helpful for beginners like me... i apologize for laughing but i'm laughing coz i felt so stupid, gullible and naive. was about try them... Are there some kind of MX school online video or something?

my husband kept telling me... "keep on riding your MC and you'll learn..." i dont' believe in that... there must be some kind of exercises... coz i don't want to learn things the hard way, i dont' want to have phobias... my friend sold his motorcycle after he fell in the gutter... i don't want that to happen to me.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Ol89'r has already corrected most of the inaccuracies posted about getting sideways. As I mentioned before, I trust ANYTHING he says.

About gripping the shrouds with your knees/legs when braking to get faster...

That works for doing stoppies (nose wheelies), but not for real braking. For maximum braking you should be as far back on the bike as possible. When you are, your knees are nowhere near the shrouds.

One of the first things Ike DeJager teaches in his classes is properly moving around on the bike. For maximum acceleration you move as far forward as possible as you beging to accelerate. For maximum braking, you move as far back as possible as you transition from accelerating to braking.

Gary Semics offers many detailed videos. http://www.gsmxs.com/ I haven't seen any of them, but Ike used to teach for Gary and I have always been impressed with him.

Top Bottom