smbikes1867

Jan 23, 2005
After doing a topend rebuild on my 1988 yz 250 and 1 good day of riding and braking it in , i left the gas on and it flooded the bike baddd. i hade to take the redvavle, fatty pipe and every thing els off so it could dry out. the i put it back together and it seem to have a bog and did not pick up power , It also had a poping nosie, then as i went up a hill and it cut off, wehn i got home i checd the spark and it had none, i put a new coil on and it still didnt have a spark so now im thinkin its the stator, when i check the ohms it read nothing at all, i have a manule so i know what wires to check, Is there any outher way to check the stator and what does the meter have to be on to check it ? :bang: PLZZ HELP!! i have not rode all summer :bang:

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
did you try by passing the kill switch?? You never know, cheaper than a new stator..
Rick

nickyd

Sep 22, 2004
pull the flywheel and get the stator in your hand and check it directly (ie, bypass the wires) - I did this and found that on one bike, the solder joint had broken from the wire (where the wire meets the coil) - you can check the coil directly to see if it is bad. If you find its bad you know where to go. Also check the plug boot.

MadArrow

Sep 8, 2003
If the meter reads nothing assuming you are using it correctly then the coil is either open or shorted, neither of which is good. Ricky Stator has good deals on coils if that turns out to be the problem.

smbikes1867

Jan 23, 2005
ok , i got the stator out of the bike and i check it , but i want to make sure thet i have my meter on the right thing to check the ohms , what should it be on?

MadArrow

Sep 8, 2003
Digital or analog meter? Should be set on the horseshoe looking symbol. If you have the option to pick a resitance range I think stator coils are usually around a 100 ohms? Hope that helps

smbikes1867

Jan 23, 2005
ok i check the stator ohms, and the charge coils is supposed to read 131 - 178 and it reads nothing, and the pickup coil is supposed to read 170 - 230 but it read nothing , i checked the sorders and they are ok, so the i thoug id check the old ingtion coil since i got a new 1 and it was prolly not the problem. the secondary is 3.96k and it says it should read 4.0k - 4.8 so it good, but when i check the primary was 000.4 and it should be 0.20 - 0.24 , could the have went bad to? and would the fact that i test it off the bike affect the primary readings?

Last edited:

MadArrow

Sep 8, 2003
If you are checking the stator correctly and the meter reads nothing than you have an open coil. I really doubt that both the trigger and source coils would both go bad together. Most coils I have seen go bad just get weak, but you still get some resistance reading.

smbikes1867

Jan 23, 2005
Well i found a deal were i get a Clutch cover with clean tight crankshaft assy,water pump assy. and powervalve arm, powervalve advancer,kickstarter shaft w/spring and gear,clutch basket,inner hub,and pressure plate,stator assy w/flywheel, for $230, so if its not the stator and i got a new coil ill have a nother fly wheel so ill have the complet system but the cdi. How's that deal sound??

yzrider91

Aug 14, 2005
91 yz 250

MadArrow said:
Digital or analog meter? Should be set on the horseshoe looking symbol. If you have the option to pick a resitance range I think stator coils are usually around a 100 ohms? Hope that helps

i have a 91 yz and my stator is only putting out 3 volts is this normal if not what should it be putting out?

Top Bottom