88KDX

Jan 30, 2003
I took my bike out last weekend and found no top end power. The bottom -end is ok and as I'm winding it out I hear a weird vibration and then no top-end power. It's a 1988 KDX 200, over the winter I had a new piston and rings put in (stock Kawi piston and rings).
After the new piston and rings I noticed the bike had less power then with the old piston but thought maybe it needed to be broken in. Now it just has less power then ever and about 200 miles on the new piston/rings. I thought maybe it was the 10 year old Boysen power reeds in there or probably carb jets. I'll let u know how it runs after I put on the new reeds, pipe and muffler.

JasonWho

Apr 10, 2002
Hi, 88KDX. I have seen a few posts from KDX owners of various years complaining of sudden lack of top-end power. Sometimes the KIPS valves have broken or somehow become damaged. You may wish to look at those. Sorry to hear of your troubles.

Thank you,
JasonWho

cfr1970

Sponsoring Member
Jun 27, 2002
JasonWho is on the ball ;) If the problems started after a top end, check your KIPS. It may have been installed improperly, or at worst, broken (especially if your hearing weird noises). Hope all works out for you.

88KDX

Jan 30, 2003
Oh FUNK, I hope it's not the KIPS, I have no idea how that works and the service manual doesn't help much. Can't it be carb jetting?

JasonWho

Apr 10, 2002
When you put it back together, did you line up the dots with the two marks on the cylinder? Did you do the work yourself?

Does it rattle or clank when it is running? Is something broken in there?

As far as your second question, "You would have to bring it in and let us look at it". :-) Late last fall, I put a new piston, piston pin, circlips, small end bearing, rings, base gasket, head gasket and KIPS gasket on an '87 model I sold earlier this year, so I am pretty familiar with it.

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Hi 88KDX. You said you heard a vibration, not felt one? This happened to me when my reeds started going south. The reeds made a fluttering vibrating noise. You may want to check them if your KIPS seems to be working right. Follow JasonWho's suggestion and check the dots. If you have an 88 KDX and haven't serviced the KIPS, it could be all gummed up. Do a search on this Forum and there is lots of info on how to check. Also, check out the JustKDX link at the top of the forum. Lot's of stuff there on how to work on this.

88KDX

Jan 30, 2003
Thanks for the info guys. I took the motor to a shop to have the piston and rings installed because I didn't have all the tools to do it. He said he checked over and cleaned everything (I hope he cleaned the KIPS). I'm going to install new reeds today and hope it will run better. If not I'll check the KIPS.

Top Bottom