Kootenaycat

Feb 27, 2002
I finally got the '01 220 broke in yesterday, and at the end of the day I noticed a rattle noise when in neutral only after I let the clutch out. The trans level is at the top of the window, so any ideas? It's still under warranty, so I'll get it checked out, but just curious if anyone else has heard this.

Lew

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 27, 2001
Both mine have done that from day one. Like xpwarrior states a full quart will help. I use ATF cause its cheap.
Lew

Luv2Ride

Nov 21, 2000
Kootenaycat:

I would highly recommend checking and keeping the oil level just above the window. I would not exceed 1 full quart though. If you change your oil every 2-3 rides (keeping it clean) and you fill it above the line you will significantly reduce the intensity of the noise. But as everyone else stated above, it is a KDX thing so you should get used to it. However, if you hear the infamous high pitch whining you should stop the engine immediately (you're probably really low on oil) check and add oil as needed. If you continue to ride with low oil level chances are you will suffer clutch damage and who knows what else. Preventative Maintenance is the key, just as with everything else.

Aloha.

2big4akdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 26, 2001
Does anyone know just what causes this noise? And can anything be done to quiet it down.( Besides the oil level) Is the real problem loose machining tolerances? I have mine apart and I plan on taking a good look into this. I think that rattle is louder than the exhaust!!

gauner

Apr 8, 2002
It's clutch design and manufacture defect. Yes they are loud clutches. partially due to the way the case is made. The low oil level is a defect in the position of the site glass in the side cover and the bike it self is extreme lly quit. Mine is a 98 and has never had any problems associated with the clutch. I also run that Yama lube crank case oil that is 50 or 60 weight.( I think its 60 weight) Don't forget its not just one plate in cased in a heavy thick tranny housing under a car. good luck.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom