Nology ProFire Ignition Coil report

jaguar

~SPONSOR~
Jul 29, 2000
South America
I had called MXSouth to order the Nology ignition coil that has .6 ohms on the primary. The stock coil is listed at 1 ohm +/- 15% (.85 - 1.15). They said they only stock the .3 ohm coil and thats what everyone uses for CDI ignitions. Well, I didn't want to wait for them to get a .6 ohm coil so I ordered what they had. Knowing what I do about the CDI ignition I added a .5 ohm resistor in the line that has the voltage spike from the CDI that drives the coil primary. That would not interfere with initial voltage but would limit the maximum amount of current through the coil primary and from the main capacitor in the CDI. I assume that without the resistor one could burn out the capacitor since it is kinda under-rated as it is. Once I receive a high current cap and install it in the CDI then I will remove the .5 ohm resistor.
Anyway... the ride report:
It rocks! I'm always fiddling with my engine and know the power that it puts out and with this new coil in I can say that it definitely boosts power output everywhere above idle. Maybe due to the extra resistor it actually idled slower with the new setup, but once I gave it gas I could feel the power difference. Probably once I install a better CDI capacitor and remove the resistor then the idle anomaly will vanish.
The ignition coil was from www.mxsouth.com and the item name is the PFC-03S, and it cost $75. Try it, you'll like it. If you do get it then I'll give you some installation tips if you ask me.
It doesn't come with the high voltage wire and spark plug cap. MXSouth doesn't sell such an item so you'll have to get one from another source, possibly a local dealer. :ride:

Top Bottom