cicone

Sep 29, 2003
Well, I'm pretty sure the rebuilt cdi will work, but I still have no spark. Tough to check the primary coil, but I'm getting 6000 ohms on the secondary and what looks to be in the vacinity of .1 ohms on the primary. Close to spec from what I've seen posted here---unless someone knows different, I'm all ears. Plug wire shows good continuity. Registering AC voltage coming from the stator coil. Very frustrating to chase this one down. Decided on complete teardown and inspection of all electronics and wires. Could be an intermittant short which is no longer intermittant. Strangly, the engine ran fine when it did run the last few times---for 30 seconds or so at a time--before finally not running at all, but now it sounds kind of funny when I kick it over. Maybe that's my imagination. Nothing banging around or anything, just a hollow compression sound...wierd.
Eventually I'll figure this out and then report on the cdi rebuild---whether it works or not. :think: Down but not out!!! Jay

Last edited:

cicone

Sep 29, 2003
new plug??? HAAA! :) Ripped all the wiring out last night including the headlight/taillight mess as they are not hooked up, test mounted the CDI---dangling in a Marlboro Light box wrapped in masking tape---and lo and behold a big fat juicy spark. Not sure what changed, though I left the kill switch out of the loop---even though it tested fine with the multimeter. Still didn't start, but I think I'm getting close. Removed the 2K thermistor and 22K resistor that Jag recommended and will put the old 1.7K thermistor back in tonight---perhaps the timing isn't quite right?? The hollow sound I was refering to may just be a result of kicking it over with the seat off. Do you think that the primary coil may be having a problem making spark under compression?? Where's Jag??? His input would be welcomed here!!! Don't know, but changing the 4.7uf 25v cap to a 50v shouldn't change anything--timing wise--should it?

cicone

Sep 29, 2003
JasonWho said:
Do you have any spare parts to swap in?
That would take all the fun out of it! If I can't get it going I'll break down and buy the part---doubt that the dealer would pop one in to let me know what's wrong, but it's possible.
Trying the motorcycle junkyard this weekend to snag a primary ignition coil and maybe a cdi if they have a match---but that's doubtful.

Top Bottom