non dirt bike "what bike do I get" questions

fatcat216

"Don't Worry Sister"
~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2007
I'll use the form, but add what I'm wondering.

Try to include the following info in your first post
1) Your physical size (both height and weight are important)
5'8' 135ish
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
Good question. If I had any skills I'd probably be really aggressive. However, prudence dictates I only go fast on straight roads with no crosswind or out of the stoplight. The rest of the time I'm a big chicken crybaby waah waah girl. My motorcycle came with a walker and a cane.
3) What do you plan to ride?
50 mile commute on 2 and 4 lane highways, curvy poorly maintained bluff roads, lots of semis and lunatic country hammerheads. DEER!!!
Traffic speeds ranging from 35-75.
4) Do you have any riding experience?
a little over 1 year...not a lot.
5) Do you think you will race ?
n/a for now.
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
no
7) Do YOU have a preference to a brand/ motor choice?
At present my mentor has narrowed me to: Suzuki SV650, 2008 (the pretty one) Suzuki DR-Z400SM, 250Ninja
or (my mentor would shudder) any
cheap beat up goofy used sports bike sitting for sale this May. I'm not keen on cruisers, just now.
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
yes.
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?
Considering trading in or selling my dr200se....see below. $5000-$6000 unless I can do better.

10) Do you live in California?
na/no
11) Your age?
48 going on 100.
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion.

I hope you guys can help. I've really been a humongous pain in the fanny to my one patient and willing motorcycle friend with annoying pestering question after question. (Coincidentally, the only person whose opinion I trust, so you've got big shoes to fill.) I thought I'd see what kind of advice came up here, in the interest of not getting my neck rung.

Although my heart would love to concentrate on the dirt skills, my membership in the Real Life Club didn't come with those benefits in 2008. Some sort of fine print in the contract details. However, it does afford me the possibility of riding at least a few days a week 100 miles a day on my work commute.... My little dr is a fun bike, and I love it...However at anything above 50 to 55 she shakes miserably. I'd like to either modify the bike, or buy a bike that will be more comfortable at those speeds.

q1.) Are there modifications I can make to make this itty bitty bike to make her worthy of rigorous commuter duty?

q2.) Which bike to add to the corral next?

I've test road the Suzuki SV650, but not at high speeds just yet.

I've not test road the Supermoto, but I have a preference for light bikes.The sleek black 2008 calls me... However, see above comments on the dr. Is it going to solve my problem? It certainly would have more power on the big hills here which will keep the hammerheads from running my sorry sagging fanny over....But what about headshake? Crosswinds still an issue, I'd guess?

I road the 2007? Ninja 250 (not the new improved 08)...It was okay....It might be a fun bike to get accustomed to the sport bike feel...However, I didn't like the ergonomics and steering as well as the more upright sv650. Again, that dirtbike thing, I would guess.

Having said that, months later, (and seeings how well JLW likes her Ninja 250) I'm feeling nervous about a 650. It's a heavy bike, and, my skills training has been downgraded to "what you can learn while taking a dirtbike class with an 11 year old." (yes, mommy guilt). The Supermoto seems to be the midpower bike, but again, is it the bike for a 50 mile (one way) commute?

q3.) Financial. Do I dump (sell or trade) the dr and move up as my circumstances dictate, or do I keep it just in case.
(As in: In case it turns out I'm just a wimpy over the hill hag and have no business on a real bike?)

Okay- have at it if you are still awake. I realize this is long.
Thanks in advance. Mods please move to general forum if this isn't the right place for this post.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2007
My ninja 250 is great, but again, now that I've gotten used to it - the power is running out for me...

Though...the 08' model...well...let's just say that they had to peel me off after I made the wonderful mistake of sitting on it.

50 miles would be about the perfect length ride on that bike though...It's cheap and pretty forgiving for the beginning rider.

If you have the finances, I would suggest getting the "ninjette" (2008 model is a very hot looking little bike!!!!) then upgrading when you feel comfortable. It is one of the most forgiving little bikes ever built! Compared to a lot of the other "big sport bikes" the ninjette sits pretty upright too!

Regardless of what you pick, I want to hear about it :)

fatcat216

"Don't Worry Sister"
~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2007
thanks tolle.
I certainly like the price on that Ninja- especially if I sell a bike!

I'm rereading the reviews. (I hadn't read the ninja review til today....)
When I first started looking I didn't have as firm a mission in mind....It's good to re- read them with specific challenges in mind, since I probably can't buy all three.... YET...(lol) (Actually, I just discovered a leak in my roof....grrrrrr.)

In the motorcycle.com video review of the Ninja the little lady reviewer says "I could ride this bike across country"- sort of a good testimonial for my needs, which concur with your review.

It's funny, I never ever would have considered a Ninja but for the suggestion. I had in fact ruled it out until I saw you'd been riding one all summer.

....50 today...4 more inches of snow by 5 a.m. tomorrow...ach. Guess I have a little bit of time to make this decision? Sigh. Talk about frustrated? This can't possibly be healthy. Lol.

Last edited:

fatcat216

"Don't Worry Sister"
~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2007
Hmmm....nifty little article JLW.... You know the hero and the CMA have made that dim little bulb above my head glow a bit brighter tonight.

Tell me what you think....

I'm going to write the NAABBC* (say it out loud the N double A, Double B, C) to see if they will buy me a Ninjette**(since it would be inappropriate for me to own it myself), send me out with Bodhisattva vow, using my ninjette as a Dharma wheel bringing enlightenment to myself and the masses??

I mean, what's good enough for the CMA ought to be good enough for the NAABBC? Right? :whoa:

*(North American Association of Buddhist Biker Chicks)

** Of course, I'd suffer the dharma on any of those three bikes....In the interest of global enlightenment and unity of course.... Maybe the cheerful monks could persuade the police at Deal's Gap to treat me like a Tibetan dignitary and close the road while I take my run ?? :p Yes yes... I see it all now.

Last edited:

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
OK fatcat remember back in the horse and buggy days of high school when the cool kids showed up on their Triumphs (we will ignore the old days of oil leaks and other British problems which are gone in todays versions ;) )
1) This could put you on back roads and some dirt (altho not to far into the dirt)
2) just strictly for old time sake
3) old fashioned cafe style

Attachments

• scrambler_overview_main_2008.jpg
    scrambler_overview_main_2008.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 111
  • bonneville_overview_main_2008.jpg
    bonneville_overview_main_2008.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 114
  • thruxton_overview_main_2008.jpg
    thruxton_overview_main_2008.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 116

fatcat216

"Don't Worry Sister"
~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2007
aaah....bonneville.....scrambler....thruxton....too many decisions. Any time I've seen a picture of an old bonneville I sigh, though I do not know why. I know the scars on my calves do not match these pipes.... It cannot be nostalgia. Nonetheless they are quite sweet.

But if I'm going retro why not this? (Of course I'd have to put the light back on....)

Attachments

• commando.jpg
    commando.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 105

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Last summer on Rich's suggestion I got an 07 Bonnie black and love riding it. Didn't want a sport bike since I am way to old and crippled for that. A Harley had no appeal I wanted it to be more unique then the HD crowd. First time at the Triumph dealer I couldn't decide between the scrambler or the Bonnie. My wife made the decision based on the pipe position on the scrambler. Maybe add a Thruxton soon :nod:
Once the weather warms up I'll take a ride up your way and you can take it out for a test (then I'll set the hook) ride if you want

fatcat216

"Don't Worry Sister"
~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2007
That would be cool. Be a long ride for you though? I could meet halvesies or on Aztalan or other weekend? I do come down that way now and again....less now that I'm doing the 6 to 6....

I have same sentiments on HD.... Just not me, I guess.

You guys should think about coming up when S&S is doing their anniversary thing...They have industry guys giving talks/music- bands and food and stuff on the La Crosse Queen and the other boat....I've got a yes from the better half that he will accompany me on one of those....Just an excuse to take one of those silly Mississippi River cruises..... In case the breathtaking beauty isn't enough to get a person on one.

Anyway, yes, that would be great!

fatcat216

"Don't Worry Sister"
~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2007
Did you move? HOW FAST DOES THAT THING GO?? No wonder you are always broken......

You know I learned a little moto secret I'll share with you OldGuy.... .......The throttle doesn't have to stay wide open ..... It's amazing how they have improved the engineering in the last hundred years.....
:nener:

fatcat216

"Don't Worry Sister"
~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2007
Hey- no fair changing your time estimate!!

Top Bottom