Jaydubbs

Mar 25, 2009
) your physical size - 175-185 - Height 6'1

2) How physical / aggressive are you ? - Extremely aggresive

3) what do you plan to ride- Mx/Sx freestlye trailing with friends..

4) Do you have any riding experience? Yes i have rode a few times but i would still consider myself a Beginner.. But i am a professional athlete who picks up things very well

5) Do you think you will race ? Yes

6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? Not really.. as i learn i will

7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? Love the sounds of 2 strokes but heard 4 strokes are great for a first bike

8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? a few thinking honda, Kawa, KTM..

9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike? I dont really have a budget but i heard its best to purchase used for a first bike.. I would like to keep it under 2g but i dont mind paying more if the bike is going to suit me better

10) Do you live in California? no

11) Your age? 25

12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion -I am outodoorsy person who loves to compete.. I pick up on things well and whatever i do i try to push for perfection even though i am very far off.. I now have an obsession with getting on a bike and making the best of it.. As i said i have an occupation so i cant obviously spend all my time on a bike and get too serious in which i can end my career.. but i would love that friendly competition and going out there and having fun like you guys do.. Thank you for your advice and hope to see you guys out there sometime!

Jaydubbs

Mar 25, 2009
K thanks i really appreciate it.. i saw somewhere else that it would also be ok if i go with a KTM 200 EXC because of my weight and height.. I know theyre a two stroke is this going to be high mait and is it a good choice? thanks

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Ok first let's clarify some of the basics, a race bike is going to be a fairly maintenance intensive toy regardless if it's a 2 or 4 stroke. Don't let anyone advise you one way or another for either of these bikes based on how intensive the maintenance is going to be. A 4 stroke trail bike such as the older Honda XR series or their current CRF F series will be much less maintenance than the competition models.

Based on the way you describe yourself for me the end decision will come down to what you plan to spend. If you are planing to stay in the used bike market I would look at used 125's (CR, YZ, KX, RM or SX). If you want to go new then I think the best choice for you would be a 250F (pick a color).

I think the best bike choice for your answers would be a 250F but I would never advise anyone to buy a used one.

The KTM 200EXC is a great bike and a great option if you feel your racing is going to be off-road versus MX. It is quite capable on a MX track but would not be my first choice for that venue just as a 250F wouldn't be my first choice for racing in the woods.

Top Bottom