Normal thought process vs. Patman

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I'll be the first to admit my line of thinking is generally not considered inside the box.... typically not even inside anything, more like a bunch of atoms zipping around just before it becomes really really hot.

Anyway a while back I saw Roland Sands made up a GP type bike from a CRF450 and the only reason this popped back in to my grey matter was due to the December issue of CW. So at the time I figure a normal thought process would have been something along the lines of

-Hey that's pretty cool.
-Then maybe, I want one.

The way it all went down in MY head was like this.

-Hey that's cool why didn't AJ build one?
-Heck it would be even cooler if it was based on the CR/KX500AF why would anybody build one from a limp wristed 450 when that's an option?
-They make dual sport kits for MX bikes.
-How freakin' cool would THAT be to ride around the road!
-I want one.

So the beginning and end are pretty similar it's just all the stuff in the middle that makes me......well me I guess. It might also explain some of the bikes in my trailer :laugh:

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Are you having adult beverages and drinking while typing?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Patman said:
-Heck it would be even cooler if it was based on the CR/KX500AF why would anybody build one from a limp wristed 450 when that's an option?

If it's going to work as a spec type race class that is reasonably affordable it makes sense to base it around affordable easily obtainable current parts.

The proposed class structure from www.450moto.com:

Attachments

• scan0002.jpg
    scan0002.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 187
  • scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 189

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
a454elk said:
Are you having adult beverages and drinking while typing?
Oddly enough no. :)

Rich Rohrich said:
If it's going to work as a spec type race class that is reasonably affordable it makes sense to base it around affordable easily obtainable current parts.
Yes BUT the key words are "make sense", in my world they don't exist. :) Besides my evil plan would be to have one that could be ridden on the street, to heck with the sameness think outside the box! :fft:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Patman said:
Oddly enough no. :)

Yes BUT the key words are "make sense", in my world they don't exist. :) Besides my evil plan would be to have one that could be ridden on the street, to heck with the sameness think outside the box! :fft:

I'll have to take pictures of my streetified CRF-DTX setup. On the street in dirt track form it's stupid fun, so I understand your thought process. With the 480 Athena kit and some proper tuning I don't think I'll be lacking anything compared to a CR500 other than the sound and smells. Luckily I still have a two-stroke trials bike to get that fix. ;)

I'm thinking seriously about buying some Marchesini 17"s and trying the Super Single setup for track days rather than buying a dedicated SV650. We'll see what the winter brings. ;)

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
There is a guy out here that has a RGV with a CR500 motor in it. He rides it up to Alice's every once in a while during the summer. It has an e-line stator & a HRC WR tranny. Very nicely done, but something is always needing the attention of a welder.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
FJ - What do you think about the geometry of the MX singles as a platform for a track day bike?

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
Rich,
There are quite a few of them being raced in WERA & AHRMA races these days. I hear that they are a good time, especially at shorter, tighter tracks like Blackhawk Farms.

But you already have the Duc, right? Why would you need the SV? (Of course, SV's are cool; one will be my next bike.)

Farmer John

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
Rich Rohrich said:
FJ - What do you think about the geometry of the MX singles as a platform for a track day bike?

There are a few here in the AFM, but most are stuffing the 450's into 125gp chassis. You have to pull the motor to do a valve adjustment, but it's not that bad. The bike that is cracking me up is the DRZ400sm (the country squire of sports cars). There was a rule passed last year making them legal for 250 production. EX250 vs VTR250 vs DRZsm.

There are also a lot of 500cc SV's out here. We have a 500 twins formula class. Peeps get japanese SV400 cranks & stuff them into 650 cases with cut down cylinders. Surprisingly more fun than a 650.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
SpDyKen said:
But you already have the Duc, right? Why would you need the SV?

Ken - It's a lot cheaper to fall down on a used SV or a CRF450 . I'll take the Ducati to a track day at some point, but I need to get my asphalt chops back with something cheaper and more durable. ;)

After talking to a number of guys who run SVs, I've pretty much decided to just build a track day setup for my lowered CRF. The DTX suspension MX-Tech did for me will work well in this application, so it's mostly wheels and a few incidentals that I need to do to make the CRF track day ready.

The fact that the SV650 weighs more than my Ducati and will need suspension and brakes to be fun and safe makes the decision to stick with the CRF and it's well sorted (and paid for) suspension a lot easier. I'll mostly ride the tight tracks like Blackhawk, Gratten etc so the low top speed of the CRF won't matter. It's just for fun anyway, I have no real interest in going roadracing again.

Farmer John said:
There are a few here in the AFM, but most are stuffing the 450's into 125gp chassis. You have to pull the motor to do a valve adjustment, but it's not that bad.

FJ - That's the route I tried to go a few years back, but dealing with the dimwits on flea-bay while trying to pickup RS125 parts got to be more trouble than it was worth and I bailed.

I'll ride it in SM/DTX guise till I come up with a better plan. I figure that type of riding is probably more directly transferable to going fast on the Hypermotard anyway. :)

Do you have any experience running Pirelli Super Corsa Pro (Blue/ super soft) on lightweight bikes? I was looking at a DOT race tire rather than slicks so I can ride to the local industrial parks and play once in a while. There is something about unloading a bike from a truck that seems to draw excess attention in those areas. :whoa:

Farmer John

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
The Pirelli Blues work great & it seems you can do twice the heat cycles on them than the Michelin Pilot Races.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Thanks John. I'm going to try out the Pirelli Pro/blue and see how it goes.:cool:

Top Bottom