Not enough power? What do you think? Am i wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
Hmm. I've been looking at the CRF250X and I've been thinking that it will be underpowered. And that wouldn't be good. I ride a Kawasaki KE100 and i think it is WAY underpowered, and that a 125 2-stroke wouldn't be THAT much better. I've heard that a 250F would be equilivent to a 125 2-stroke with more grunt. I like a 2-stroke, but i really wanted to buy a 4-stroke, but they cost a good bit more money. So now I've been thinking of a YZ250, or a CR250 am i making the right decision or am i WAY wrong?

Info:
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
I'm 15 years old (wont buy the dirt bike till I'm 16) but I'm 6' 0" tall and i weigh about 180 or so.

2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
Once i learn the bike, I'm very aggressive!

3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
Mostly in my yard, But some trails, woods, fields, with friends and maybe every once and awile hit the track!

4) Do you have any riding experience?
Yes, 2 years on a Kawasaki Ke100

5) Do you think you will race ?
maybe, but just mess around on practice days.

6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
Yes, and i will do MOST of the work.

7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
I like Honda and Yamaha, but i don't really care, i don't know either 2 or 4 stroke..

8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
Yes, Kawasaki, Yamaha, KTM, Honda

9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike?
around $4,000 maybe a little more.

10) anything else that you think would help form an opinion
Uhhh, no not really

Thanks for the help!
~(V)opar

BBking25

Nov 28, 2006
for price hondas i think are cheaper

but from what i've heard honda is cutting of their 2 strokes soon, but i wouldn't be worried about lack of power on a 250four stroke

and if you trail ride, you may want something like a WR250...i'm not sure but i'm thinking the WR 250 won't take so much care as a yz250f...honda i cannot speak for :)

Josherichy

Sep 23, 2006
for what your doing you may want to ride a yz 250... If you have a prety big yard thay would be fine... I think

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
I think you should try and get a little seat time on someone's big bike. From your post I gather that you think a 125 mx'er will be hardly any more powerful than your 100. Couldn't be further from the truth. A 125 mx big will have more than twice the hp of your KE. A 250 4 stroke has another few ponies and much more at lower rpms. Bikes and dyno's vary a lot, but any well maintained 125 2-stroke / 250 4 stroke should put 30-35 hp to the rear wheel. I would be surprised if your KE100 pushed more than 12 hp to the rear wheel.

So like I said, try and get some time on a big bike, you'll get a much better feel for what you want that way.

Moose

~SPONSOR~
Sep 16, 2006
Don't put yourself over your head. A 250 2 stroke is waaay too much bike for you, I'd think. I'm the same age as you. 5 inches taller. I'd love to say "I'm 16, and ride a 250", sure there's people that do. But do you ever see them push the bike to the limits?

Just get a 125 2 stroke.

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
NHWK said:
do not want to be limited by the machine but by my own skill, or lack of it.

When i herd this this is what made me think of this underpowering suff. Also my friend on he Yz250. Never rode a day befor in his life! (i need to go ride it, havent had a chance yet though)

I dont know yea my Ke100 is pushing 11hp, so i guess your right.

I also dont want to end up spenidng $4,000 and a dirtbike and then in a year it not be enough, and i would be wanthing more!

Last edited:

cujet

Aug 13, 2000
As a general rule, the 250fx's will top 80MPH. What that means to you is that the engines produce enough HP to overcome the aerodynamic drag and mechanical drag of these full sized bikes.

Plus, there are big bore kits that provide more HP and you may want to install one of these at the overhaul period. That way big bore kit's overall expense is reduced, and the bike grows with you.

Plenty of full sized folks can turn incredible lap times on these 250F's. I am a HP junkie and I like em!

By the way, I like the way you think. I too am never satisfied with the power of today's bikes. The way I see it, any vehicle should have just enough power to never be able to use full throttle in average situations.

My 400HP mazda Miata is this way, just right as it is traction limited in the first 3 gears! As a HP junkie, I have been wanting a 100HP dirt bike all my life. Maybe someday......

Chris

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
ok cool!, thanks for that it makes me feel better. now im not the only one i know that always wants MORE power. My friends are like "i dont know if i would eveer ride a 450cc it might be to much.." i was like MAN if they had a 1000cc dirtbike ide give it a try!

But anyway im starting to fee more confortable about the 250f's now and will probley stick with it. I also forgot about performance parts =D

kawicam250

I bleed green!
Aug 7, 2006
Moparman1539 said:
I also forgot about performance parts =D

oh, my friend, youve done it now. a 125's pipe and silencer is about $320, a 250Fs header and exhaust is $850-$900! then youve got to factor in valves, seats, cams, piston, etc. replacing the valves alone is at least $800! if you dont keep up a 250F, youre going to wind up with a $2000-$3000 repair bill. on a 125, you can get Boyesen Power Reeds for $20. depending on the bikes year model and brand, a 125 will make 30-35hp and a 250F will make 35-40hp. i think at 16 and 6' you would rip on a 125( probably haved to get a Yamaha though, due to its tall seat). a KX250 or a YZ250 would also be a good option. just ride a couple of different bikes and tell us what you thought. thanx

Oskar

Nov 30, 2001
IMO You should go for a 2 stroke 250 or a KDX 200. You'll find that you'll outgrow the 125 in about 2 month. Ride the 250 and you'll never want for more.

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
kawicam250 said:
oh, my friend, youve done it now. a 125's pipe and silencer is about $320, a 250Fs header and exhaust is $850-$900! then youve got to factor in valves, seats, cams, piston, etc. replacing the valves alone is at least $800! if you dont keep up a 250F, youre going to wind up with a $2000-$3000 repair bill. on a 125, you can get Boyesen Power Reeds for $20. depending on the bikes year model and brand, a 125 will make 30-35hp and a 250F will make 35-40hp. i think at 16 and 6' you would rip on a 125( probably haved to get a Yamaha though, due to its tall seat). a KX250 or a YZ250 would also be a good option. just ride a couple of different bikes and tell us what you thought. thanx

HOLY CRAP! now you make me lean way twords a YZ250.. but i cant make them street leagle.. (can i?).

Also i do see YZ's for sale alot. And i do like green :) , but blue is better.. i dont know

MORE OPINIONS THE BETTER please.. :) then i can get an opinion set so i can go :ride:

Moose

~SPONSOR~
Sep 16, 2006
Okay, I'll say this one more time.

DO NOT, and I repeat DO NOT, get a 250. You don't know what you're messing with. Get some more experience. Under the golden rule, I am under, until you can wind out a 125 in every gear, every time you ride. Then don't step up to a 250. It's a whole new beast, especially two stroke. You're 15 for crying out loud. Sure it's possible, but you're pretty much buying yourself medical bills along with a bike.

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
i dont know.. Because i dont be spending $3,000 on a 125.. get bored with it, then have to spend $4,000+ on a new dirtbike..you see what i mean.. Thats why i want a 250X because then its like kinda in the middle. But everyone is like.. no because you spend X amount of money on this an it takes X amount of timw to work on it, and you have to check the valves in between every run.. So im tworn between two decisions.. And by the time i buy the bike ill be over 16 years old.. and... Yea i dont know.. i need to ride a few bikes then find out. Ill try to ride my cousines YZ250 next time he is around. And see if its to much.

i need time to think

**edit**
And how do you expect me to get some seat time on a big bike?!? my friend has a RM80 (i could get bored with easily) and i dont know anyone else but my cousin that has a bike. He has a Yz250.. bu he is a freak when it comes to me riding anything.. he thought my Ke100 was to much for me.. and i ride it better than him.. he wount let me rid the 250.. i cant go up to someon e and give them 20.00 for me to puts around the parkinglot/ field or whatever..

and there is a place like 100miles away that lets you ride before you buy.. but nobody will drive me there...

so if there is any secrets on how to get some time on a big bike, please tell me.. because on buying a new bike.. om going out on a limb with a buch of others people opinions to try and find a bike that will suit me.

**edit**
I would also like a headlight.. for trails and at night and what not.. do they make deicent headlights for the YZ125/250? are they easy to connect..

And is a 250f REALLY alot of work to maintain? like do you have to check the clearence everytime you ride and adjust them? or can you check it every few times.. Do they neeed adjusted alot? and its it alot more maintence than a 2-stroke

Sorry for spelling. im tired

Last edited:

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
I wanna Fly!

Hey you are kinda big for a 125, but with suspension work you could have alot of fun on a 125.A 125 will be your best opt for learning how to ride, I'm betting you would not be needing more power just more ability! They make headlight kits for anything. You will ride faster on a 250f but its more expensive and it will not teach you how to fundamentally ride!!!! 250 's are alot of bike for anybody but you need to climb the ladder, even if it means a year or 2 on the 125.

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
Yea, i know what you mean. But still i want a bike that will last me till im an adult.. I AM POOR! i have to work, and i am buying this bike myself! With my own $$Cashola$$ I am actually pretty good ar riding my 100, i can clutch it perfectually, and i dont wreck that often, and i am always pushing myself to the limit. And yes.. I agree a 250 2-stroke is alot of power. But...well...nevermind.. As of now, i am either thinking of a YZ125, or Honda CRF250X.. i know how to ride.. ive been riding 2-stroke for two years on my ke100.. and i rode my friends RM80 fine..

But is a Yz really a trail bike.. no.. so as i asid before

And is a 250f REALLY alot of work to maintain? like do you have to check the clearence everytime you ride and adjust them? or can you check it every few times.. Do they need adjusted alot of different? And is it ALOT more maintence than a 2-stroke

Moose

~SPONSOR~
Sep 16, 2006
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
Hey you are kinda big for a 125.

Wrong again. I'm 6'5'' he's 6'0''. I ride a 125.

I don't know, I'm not going to argue, I'm just going to say that you should get a 125 2 smoke. When you get bored of that, get it bored out.

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
elliot67 said:
Wrong again. I'm 6'5'' he's 6'0''. I ride a 125.

I don't know, I'm not going to argue, I'm just going to say that you should get a 125 2 smoke. When you get bored of that, get it bored out.

Yes, i love the sound of a 2-stroke. its different than what you hear everywhere else. And i am looking hard at the YZ125, BUT its not really a good trail bike is it? its more of a motocross bike.

I live in Western PA, And its hilly where i live, and i would probably be making my own trails at my friends house, and in my yard.. which is a hill. would it still be good then? Would i still be able to do mad hill climbs and what not?

i am leaning towards the 125 smoker

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
I went from a Yamaha RT100 (basically the same as your KE 100), spent a short amount of time on a RT180, then went to a YZ125. The 125 was a HUGE step from either of the other bikes. At first I only trail rode it, lots of single track stuff, whoops, rocks, logs, hills, mud. I loved it. I got into some more moto for a while, but the power never once let me down. I was actually much slower getting on a 250 than I was on the 125.

I just bought my KX125 and love it as much (if not more) as the YZ I had 7 years ago. I'm 5'9" 180 lbs, off the track I rarely even get it wide open. The little bit of riding I have done on it (about 5 hrs maybe) has shown me that traction becomes a limiting factor long before I run out of throttle.

I really think a 125 would be right for you (or a KDX). If all your experience is on that 100 then the 125 will be a huge step up. You might be able to ride the wheels off your KE, but you won't be anywhere near the limits of what a 125 can do. A KDX (200 or 220) would be a great maintance free bike as well, plus you can do a lot to make it faster as your skills grow. My 220 is pretty hopped up and is quite a bit faster in a straight line than my 125. In higher speed stuff (whoops/jumps/washouts) I am faster on the KX. For gnarly hill climbs, rock gardens, and really technical slow stuff I'll take the KDX anyday.

KDX607

Mod Ban
Nov 6, 2006
adam728 said:
I went from a Yamaha RT100 (basically the same as your KE 100), spent a short amount of time on a RT180, then went to a YZ125. The 125 was a HUGE step from either of the other bikes. At first I only trail rode it, lots of single track stuff, whoops, rocks, logs, hills, mud. I loved it. I got into some more moto for a while, but the power never once let me down. I was actually much slower getting on a 250 than I was on the 125.

I just bought my KX125 and love it as much (if not more) as the YZ I had 7 years ago. I'm 5'9" 180 lbs, off the track I rarely even get it wide open. The little bit of riding I have done on it (about 5 hrs maybe) has shown me that traction becomes a limiting factor long before I run out of throttle.

I really think a 125 would be right for you (or a KDX). If all your experience is on that 100 then the 125 will be a huge step up. You might be able to ride the wheels off your KE, but you won't be anywhere near the limits of what a 125 can do. A KDX (200 or 220) would be a great maintance free bike as well, plus you can do a lot to make it faster as your skills grow. My 220 is pretty hopped up and is quite a bit faster in a straight line than my 125. In higher speed stuff (whoops/jumps/washouts) I am faster on the KX. For gnarly hill climbs, rock gardens, and really technical slow stuff I'll take the KDX anyday.
You had an rt180 too? Sweet! I learned how to hill climb on that bike! That thing is a turd!

AZRickD

Jun 6, 2006
Yep, a '00 or newer KDX 200 with torque pipe and KX fork mod, or KDX220 with RB carb and head squish mod, rev pipe (with KX fork mod, of course). Decent power. Nice low-speed behavior, power more manageable than a 250 MX-style bike.

Go to www.kdxrider.net and see if any modded bikes are for sale.

Rick

Last edited:

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
ok ill look into the KDX200, But im REALLY starting to like the YZ125 alot!

And sofar i looked into the KDX200 and liked what i saw. And ill look around alittle bet and tell you what i think.
Also for the KDX200: Do they still make them? If not when was the last year they made the. Are parts hard to find for them?

But i REALLY like the YZ125

Thanks!

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
06 was the last year for the 200, 05 was the last year for the 220. New leftovers are still plentiful from what I hear. I got my 03 in July of 04, it hadn't even left the crate yet.

Every part you can imagine is availible and easy to find. The bikes were almost completly unchanged from 1995 till the end of production. Lots of people love these bikes and hop them up a huge amount as their skill and money grows. Some even go as far to eventually swap the engine into a 125 frame. The engine is that "good". I put quotations because good is totally an opinion, but it is a great smooth, torquey, pretty powerful engine. I've let a lot of people ride mine, and "smooth" is the word used to describe it 99% of the time. "More power than I expected" is common too.

The YZ and KDX are pretty different though. The KDX is a soft suspension trail machine with a super linear powerband. It will haul you through gnarly stuff with little effort on your part. The YZ is made for the MX track, and gnarly trails will require a good bit of skill when the trail gets technical. On open trails the KDX has an advantage with it's tall 6th gear and wide ratio transmission, you can run much faster much more comfortably.

I guess you really need to decide what you want to do with your bike. If you never plan to set a tire on a motocross track then I would say KDX, hands down, all the way. Start mixing moto in there and the YZ is a better choice (although it is possible to moto a KDX, I even did it 100% stock and faired better than half the other guys in the 250 C class). If your idea of trail riding includes long crossings, rocks, and hills that you would be afraid to try and walk up, the KDX comes out on top.

So, do you want a trail bike that can be hopped up into a racer, or a race bike that can be used on the trails? If I had to give up one bike right now I wouldn't even hesitate to keep my KDX as the lone steed in my garage (and by garage I mean studio apartment, both bikes are in the living room right now, and the landlord know's it :) ).

stoor

Oct 1, 2006
ur riding a ke 100 with 10hp and u think that a new 250x is going to be underpowered wut are thinking. its got close to 40hp. i had a ke 125 and i went to a 06 RMZ 250 thats got every after markeet on it and i ripps i couldnt even hold on. before i bought that bike i rode a crf 230 and i thought that thing had power so ur pretty much guessing wrong if ur thinking its gunna be under powered

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom