jaypro55

Aug 6, 2001
Today I was riding and struggling really bad to hook up my back tire. On one of the straight aways I'd spin it after every shift and when I twisted the throttle hard. At first I was worried because I made a weak shift ealier and slipped out of second, I thought my clutch was slipping, but I found that wasn't the case when I had the bike on the road later and it hooked up fine. It hasn't rained a good amount here in well over a month so the trails are hard packed with a sugary like layer on the top. I have the stock tire from a CR on it, so it's probably not the best for this terrain, plus it's worn pretty good from too much road, but what would amend this problem, smaller sprocket on the rear. It's no big deal, but I'm just wondering.

Mike198

Jul 8, 2002
the stock cr tire isn't all that great, its ment for looser terrain. You can also adjust the preload on your rear susp for more traction.

jaypro55

Aug 6, 2001
Yeah, I'm going to just stick it out with this tire till next year, and then I think I'm going to go with a star-cross from Michelin, the one for Intermediate to hard though.

2001yz250

Mar 27, 2002
All it takes is about 30 seconds or less of pavement to destroy most of a tire's biting edge. I have miles of trails about 1/2 mile from my house but it's 1/2 mile of pavement. :( I just put a new 756 on my bike so those trails are off limits to me till the edges of this tire get worn from mx tracks.

jaypro55

Aug 6, 2001
I know, it really does suck having to hit the pavement, but for practically anywhere I want to go with my bike I have to do it. For the first three weeks, I pushed everywhere on the road, but it took the fun out of the ride, I was so exhausted by the time I got there, and then the feeling of knowing you were in for it again on the way home. My biting edge is very bad, the tire itself is too, but I guess it's too late to worry now. The good thing is next summer, I'll have my license and be able to truck to the tracks and that so that will eliminate more riding around here when you have to hit the road. Oh well I guess.

dell30rb

Uhhh...
Dec 2, 2001
If you do ride on the road, would it not eat your tires up if you just took it really slow, and did not do any hard acceleration or braking?

2001yz250

Mar 27, 2002
I had a 752 on my CR and only rode MX tracks for about a year and the edges still looked great. One trip on that 1/2 mile of pavement with a steady, smooth throttle and the tire was shot!

2001yz250

Mar 27, 2002
Here in Noopportunityville, we don't have cops and I'd be out of gas before I could get to town. :eek: Who said anything about running all over town anyway? :think:

jaypro55

Aug 6, 2001
I live in a very rural area, and I never ride state roads, all the backroads. The ones where you pass more tractors than cars. I hit it but until I get the license, I guess I don't have a choice.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom