stevenminix

Nov 28, 2009
back tire will not hook

most 2 smokes ive ridden hook up pretty decent, well mine will when its short shifted, but when i pin it it wants just spin the tire, tires not in too bad shape either, its a dunlop 756.. the suspension has been redone thru pazzios for a 200 pound rider and im 200 lbs. is there anything besides a new tire on the back to make her hook a lil better. i dont wanna mess with suspension, because it has been done well. i just wanna get all my power to the ground.

MXSparx

Mr. Meltsomeglass
Jul 25, 1999
NoVa
Throttle control. Might need to fan the clutch a bit.
Practice
Practice
Practice

stevenminix

Nov 28, 2009
Hey sorry guys the bike is an 02 yamaha yz250. My sag who knows, haha yeah I should but I'm not too good with suspensions. My air press ? Need to check that do what do u guys recomend I should start with? And from there should I go more or less

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Wow, you really need to spend a little time to educate yourself on suspension setup. Not all the little internal workings details but at least how to set the bike up properly. A rally good resource is a factory service manual or even better Eric Gorr's book which will also have lots of other useful info. The correct tire for the conditions and tire pressure can make a big impact on how a bike hooks up or doesn't. Figure out they type of terrain and get a tire for it then find the proper pressure. After that learn how to control the throttle. Kevin Windham is one of the best at this and it recently worked to his advantage. He looked smooth and hooked up where everybody else looked like a bunch of ham fisted monkeys overloaded on Monster Energy drinks.

stevenminix

Nov 28, 2009
Haha yeah I like kevin windham, I been noticing throttle control helps me hook up a lot I mean right when I upshift and get into the good pull of the powerband. Anyone got a link for a service manual for an 02 yz250? Thanks again guys I appreciate all the useful info.

stevenminix

Nov 28, 2009
flywheel weights?

ive heard of people adding flywheel weights to make the power come on smoother, but is there any lighter flywheels that would make the power more neck snapping and abrupt on when the bike really starts to rip? im trying to make my powerband more abrupt to scare the crap outta me, i like it like that..

stevenminix

Nov 28, 2009
rebuild, what would you do???

bottom end and top end rebuild, looking for as much performance as possible wiseco bottom and top or oem? which makes best power.. bike is 02 yz 250

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
stevenminix said:
im trying to make my powerband more abrupt to scare the crap outta me, i like it like that..
:|

i dont know what bike is yours but usually a internal rotor like PVL will work.
you can also machine the original rotor to get that effect.

stevenminix

Nov 28, 2009
my bike is a 02 yz250. i run a fatty pipe and turbine core II silencer. would switching to a shorty silencer make the initial powerband hit harder???

Dec 9, 2007
Invest in a IMS hot rod crank and Pro x piston. Im not a fan of forged pistons. If your looking for more performance I would suggest getting an aftermarket exhaust, a vforce 3 reed valve, and cylinder porting. How many teeth do you have on the front and rear sprockets?

stevenminix

Nov 28, 2009
i have stock gear ratio, i have a fmf fatty, turbine core II silencer, stock reeds no porting, but i got a std size wiseco prolite right now on an oem bottom end. im looking for more performance, and agree on buying v3 reeds.. i was gonna buy v3 reeds but i seen in an issue of dirtbike mag i have moto tassinari has supposedly came out with v3i reed setup.. i am also wondering if a shorty silencer would make the initial powerband hit harder also.. i like the initial hit of the powerband when u crack it wide open. the first hit or surge is what im trying to get more of..

Last edited:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
So let me see if I have this right. You are complaining about the bike not hooking up and in the same breath you are asking questions about making the bike "hit harder" which will only make it harder for the bike to hook up.

So which is it? You need to make up your mind. :coocoo:

FLYING.FINN

Mar 3, 2010
Change the stock gearing to 13t/52t for more low end; for more low-end grip/mid-range boost.. 13t/50t

stevenminix

Nov 28, 2009
Hooking up is no longer a problem. Throttle contrtol and tire are culprit I'm looking for more of that front tire pulling hit. I want my front tire to feel like it has been loaded with helium.

Top Bottom