Not possible to buy OEM plastic with the stickers already??

Feb 28, 2004
Hey guys, I have a question. Is it true that you cannot buy original plastic that comes with the stickers on already, the way the bike came off the showroom floor?? Im the type of person that takes care of my stuff the best I can. Im the type that wants to replace a part as soon as it gets its first scratch, lol! I asked the parts guys where I bought the bike and they said you cannot buy the plastic with the stickers on already. For instance, the radiator shroud. I said, so what do you do if you want it to always look original? He said you have to buy the plastic and then buy the sheet of stickers and put them on yourself. That didnt sound correct to me, so I just wanted to double check with you guys. I remember when I had my KX80, I fell a few times and scuffed up the plastic pretty badly, I went right to the Kawasaki place and bought new plastic and it came with the stickers already in place, all you had to do was tell them was year and model you had, and they handed you the part. Made it so easy. So are my parts guys right, or do you know where I could buy the OEM plastic when the time comes? Thanks for any help you can give me. Mike :thumb:

Feb 28, 2004
Well hopefully it will be the same for my YZ, when the time comes. It just doesnt make sense to me that they expect you to apply the decals yourself. You could never get it on as good as the way it would come already. Im just wondering if they are selling plastic that isnt OEM but are passing it off as OEM and thats why it doesnt come with the stickers on it already. Thanks for the reply. Anyone else have anything to add? Mike :)

Feb 28, 2004
Well, Id just like to keep the bike looking stock, the way it came off the showroom floor. So Im just planning in advance for when I do need a new piece of plastic, such as a fender or shroud. I just want to know if its possible to buy the OEM pieces with the stickers attached or not. Mike

VB Racing

~SPONSOR~
Jan 26, 2004
Yamaha's do not come with graphics on the plastic, you have to buy them separately. Been there, done that!! Also, make sure which plastic you are buying. The GYT-R stuff does not have the same kind of shine the OE plastic has, but has a much lower price. Go to www.partsfish.com . They have micro fishe available so you can look look up your parts. :thumb:

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
I know this doesn't help your current problem, but it's a great idea. One of our local HS racers has a habit of removing all the stock plastic when he gets a new bike home, and replaces it with cheap aftermarket stuff. No stickers, since in the Missouri rocks they don't last long anyway. Then when he sells the bike, the original plastic goes back on. A good top to bottom clean up and it looks like a new bike. That's my plan for any new bikes in the future.

Feb 28, 2004
Yea, thats what my salesman told me people do alot of the time. I could do that, but I love how it looks the way it is right now, thats the way I'd like to ride it around looking. :laugh: Mike :)

SpectraSVT

Apr 17, 2002
Its not that hard to put on stickers. In fact, once you learn how, its quite easy and looks very professional. Most major graphics company's sticker kits line up almost perfect.

Feb 28, 2004
Ok, so Yamaha is the only one that you cant buy the plastic with the graphics attached already? Honda comes attached, which is the way it should be in my opinion. If you are buying an OEM piece of plastic, its because you want the OEM look, and it should come that way. :yeehaw: Mike

Feb 28, 2004
Bringing this back to the top guys. Today after riding my bike and putting it away, I noticed the clear part of the radiator shroud sticker was lifting in the corner. Just the clear covering, not the sticker itself. I pushed it back down and it stayed, for now, but I know it will lift again next ride. :| Im wondering if that clear covering is made to come off, like just a protective covering over the graphics while the bike is being built and on the showroom floor, or is it actually part of the sticker going bad already? If its just a protective covering, Ill pull it off, but I dont want to yet until I hear from some of you guys who may have been through this already with the same bike. I know, Im very anal with this bike, but its like my baby, lol, and I wanna keep it in tip top shape. :thumb: Mike :)

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
There is no protective film on them. It must be the stock graphic going bad already. All the Yz/Yzf I know are quick to loose that brand new look because of the poor quality of graphic material. Buy an aftermarket graphic kit and it will last much longer before doing fits like this.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
OMG. i cannot believe what i am reading. its a dirtbike, its supposed to be ridden in the dirt which means it will get scratched up etc. just go and ride and dont worry about it. if you want something to polish, go buy a Harley. :ugg:

CJG

Nov 24, 2001
Yeah, the stock graphics are pretty poor and very thin. They aren't made to last long. As flyinzuki said N-Style and also Factory Effex(and maybe some others, can't remember) sell OEM look graphics, but they are thicker and of better quality than the OEM part. And the FactoryEffex graphics appear to look identical to stock(no FX logo, from what I can tell from the pictures), except they're thicker of course.

Micahdawg

Feb 2, 2001
On a side note, anyone know how far back you can still get graphics at the dealer? I wouldn't mind getting some factory 1989 KX250 stickers for the shrouds, but I'm almost afraid to get laughed at at the dealer.

Micah

Peer Lovell

Nov 25, 1999
Why should they "laugh" at you? Nothing wrong with showing some pride in an older bike dude.
Ask, and see if they can order them for you.
I didn't see that year on Factory Effex's site. But send them an e-mail anyway and see if they can help you.

Moto Squid

~SPONSOR~
Jul 22, 2002
Why waste money on OEM graphics?? The ones on my cr got blasted off within a few rides so I got the Factory Effex OEM replicas and put them on aftermarket plastics. Those graphics actually stick!!

Micahdawg

Feb 2, 2001
I've always lusted after the KX's of the 80's. Something about that green plastic and blue seat that just made me drool as a kid. So I thought it would be kinda neat to go after that factory look again. I've already got a graphic'd out, black excell rimmed RM so I don't need all the fancy stuff.

I was thinking that this 89 KX250 would an ok bike to kick around on for the money ($350), but after talking to the kid about it, it sounds like this might actually be a pretty potent bike period. He claims that it should be around 40-45HP which is probably good enough to hang with or trash most of the guys I ride with. I'm kind of eager to see what this things got.

Micah

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
bclapham said:
OMG. i cannot believe what i am reading. its a dirtbike, its supposed to be ridden in the dirt which means it will get scratched up etc. just go and ride and dont worry about it. if you want something to polish, go buy a Harley. :ugg:

This from a guy who drains the fuel from his tank after each ride (so his graphics won't bubble up.) :laugh:

Top Bottom