dirtybkr

Mar 17, 2000
I have a 93 KX250 ,The top end has about 8 hrs of easy riding . The cylinder was replated at the same time . When I put the bike up for the winter back in Nov. it was fine, now when I kick it, it makes a rather loud knocking noise . It sounds like a hammer being rapped on the side of the jug . I did not start the bike , I heard this noise while kicking it over . I pushed the starter through its stroke a few times with the spark wire pulled and each time it made this sound . I did not want to start the engine for fear of causing more damage . Anybody have any ideas .

B

biglou

This is just a guess, my apologies if I am way off here, but could it be the piston/rings clashing with the powervalve? Not sure how the powervalve would have opened with the bike in storage, though.

Just a thought. Sorry I don't know more. If I were at home I could reference Eric's book for some more useful info.

jharmon

Aug 1, 2001
I have a 93 KX250 also, but never had that problem. The problem I was having a couple weeks ago is my kick starter wouldn't engage, therefore never start. I got it fixed by replacing the ratchet spring. If I were you, I would pull off the clutch cover and take a look at any of the clutch plates or the basket. I bet something broke and is getting knock around inside there and that may be the sound you're hearing. It doesn't take a lot to pull the clutch cover off and take a look. Believe me, if I can tear apart a bike and put it back together perfectly, then anyone can. Good luck fellow NYer.

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by dirtybkr
... it makes a rather loud knocking noise . It sounds like a hammer being rapped on the side of the jug... I pushed the starter through its stroke a few times with the spark wire pulled and each time it made this sound .
db - You ride a Harley and your afraid of strange knocking sounds?

If your bike was running fine before you put it up, then it's unlikely that a catastrophic failure has occured. Check and/or change your coolant and gear oil. If everything is normal then hook up the spark plug and start the engine.

dirtybkr

Mar 17, 2000
"db - You ride a Harley and your afraid of strange knocking sounds? "
Only when the Jap bike makes them .
I really wish that I didn't have to post this but here we go .
Let me start by saying thankyou for the very plausible ideas ,but it was none of the above. What it was , was ------ no ,I can't do it . It's just to embarrassing .

dirtybkr

Mar 17, 2000
Alright , I guess I really should ,but understand what a big person it takes to admit to the WWW what a dope he really is .The mystery sound was no more than noise that was made when the cheep plastic step stool I use as a bike stand would flex and pop against the concrete floor of my garage . There , I said it . Now I expect no mercy from woodsrider as he has none , but the rest of you might turn the flame throwers down to simmer , please . I'm asking nice .

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Hahahaha. Best I’ve heard in years. Hey who cares? Your bike is sweet & at least you were man enough to let us have a little laugh at your expense.

Happy riding.

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
Oh my goodness just way too funny you have been looking and learning from me lately haven't you hey at least it ddint cost you anything but some emberassment.
Be forewarned though now it is a federal crime to have a milk crate that is not used for shipping milk . So go build yourslef a wooden stand and next winter you can here it crack and splinter

B

biglou

Hey, for your next trick, I can show you how to attempt to start it with the plug in the tailpipe!:o Change a plug or two, fiddle with the choke, check the gas, kick yourself senseless trying to start it, etc.

I've done it a couple of times! Great fun for the riding buddies!

mgorman

May 8, 2000
At least you didn't tear a ktm420 motor down 4 times to try to figure out why it wouldn't downshift. It always shifted on the bench but never in the bike when riding.

It is amazing how a new drain plug can be only a mm longer and hit a shift mechanism.

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
had a bike stop shifting on me when riding once so I packed it up and went home. was washing the bike thinking of expensive repairs and noticed a rock caught in between the shifter and the engine cases
But my most emberassing moment was working late one night to finish the bike up all half asleep got up early in the morning still half asleep to go riding. Loaded up the truck stopped and got coffeee and gas went to the riding area when i realized I forgot to put the chain back on right in front of all my buddies!!!!!!!!!!

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
Originally posted by BigLou
Hey, for your next trick, I can show you how to attempt to start it with the plug in the tailpipe!:o Change a plug or two, fiddle with the choke, check the gas, kick yourself senseless trying to start it, etc.

I've done it a couple of times! Great fun for the riding buddies!

I've done that more times than Blue Thunder has toes!:eek: :p
A muffler with a spark arrestor screen is a good preventative measure for that!

Moteaux

Professional Mud Tester
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 30, 2001
My brother and I went riding up in the mountains in Tres Ritos, NM and was expecting a little less performance due to altitude, but his bike was running like a dog, we had already changed the needle position and didn't have anymore jets, pulled the air filter and there was a rag he had put in there while washing the bike. DOH!:o

georgieboy

Jan 2, 2001
Ladies and Gentleman, the jury has decided!!!!
we start with the number last.
mgorman with a tiny mm: 6 points (that was a real world problem)
motohead with his lost rag: 8 points(stupidness scores)
biglou with his lost sparkplug: 8.5 points(stupidnes scores again)
jmics and the forgotten chain(guys pls give me a push): 9 points (embarrashment scores high too)
truespode with his piston: 9.5 points (almost too funny)
dirtybkr with his knocking sound that sounded expensive: 10 points(there can only be one winner, guys
LOL:aj: :p ;)

georgieboy

Jan 2, 2001
Dirtybkr you are a real sport.
But still the jury has decided. Ooooooo wait a minute..........
Sorry ... wwwhhhhaaaattttt. !!!!!!
Somebody took a bribe!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Okee in that case you both have to share gold.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I dare any of you to tell me that you've not taken off at least once with the fuel off. "Dang, this plug looks to be fine...."

:confused:

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Yeah this weekend. WHAT OF IT??? [a little defensive, who me?]

Was at a race meeting, started the bike, turned off the choke but after a while the revs started to rise (a sure clue that I missed totally). Killed it & looked around at the cable etc, then tried to start it pushing the thing around the pits (road race bike -no starter) till I was red in the face & pretty tempered so that people were avoiding asking silly questions. Then it hit me & I looked down.

Boy did I feel small. Kept that one to myself. . .

B

biglou

Another favorite of mine is to go riding with those starp extenders (whatever they're called) flapping around from the handlebars. I never notice it when I'm riding, just when I get back to the truck. That's when the lightbulb goes off: "Oh, hey, what are these still doing on?"

Duh.....:confused:

Chief

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Aug 17, 2001
My bike mysteriously died several times when I would be stopped, leaning it to the right, rechecking the choke position or fuel valve. I was kinda bugged about it until I realized I was grabbing the kill button. :o

Then there was this weekend. Riding with one other guy. We stopped for a break. After a minute there were a few approaching bikes, so I graciously rolled my bike backwards to give them passage. I fell down with the bike on top of me just as they rolled past. ;) (gee, this guy wipes out even when it's shut down)

One of the things I love about offroading is that everyone is expected to make an arse of themselves, at least occasionally. :)

Joe Chief

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom