Gomes-nz

~SPONSOR~
Apr 4, 2002
I finished rebuilding my forks, new springs, oil and modified the dampening rod. I notice now that when i hold the front brake and move the forks up and down while sitting on the bike that there appears to be a notchy feelings, not unlike lose steering head bearings. Note that I replace the steering head beerings and torqued them to the correct value. They are not the problem. How can I determine what the problem ??

tks

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
I just went out to my garage and checked my stock setup. It does the same thing. Almost like a "klunk" when it is between compression and rebound where there is some sort of slack. Did you notice this before you started? Since mine is doing it as well, maybe it is normal.

Glitch

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2001
One very popular problem is people installing the forks unevenly at the front axle. The one fork is offset accidentaly causing the forks to have a 'notchy' feeling. This may be your problem, or it may not.
To make sure they are straight, put the bike on a stand so that the front wheel is not touching the ground. Then loosen the front axle pinch bolts on the fork. Then spin the wheel and squeeze the front brake so that the wheel suddenly stops. Do this a few times and then tighten the bolts again, this should do the trick.

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Also thinking about the slack in the (worn by now?) brakes with pads moving. Try test with wheel against a wall to see if still exhibits klunk.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Newer ('H' model) bikes have a floating front rotor. Holding the front brake whilst doing a bouncy on the bike will result in something similar to what you're describing.

'Stiction', or the hesitance you feel when the pressure requred to get the fork tubes 'unstuck' from the sliders/seals is applied, isn't uncommon.

Gomes-nz

~SPONSOR~
Apr 4, 2002
Finally checked my forks, by placing the front wheel against a wall. There was no notchy feel at all. It was related to the brake and rotor.

So its all as it should be......cool!.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom