bruno670

Sep 13, 2006
Why does it seem that this time of year is punishment for the motorcyclist? 15 days that I can't ride my bike. It's not that there is snow to content with. Sure it rains forever,and numbing cold. I can dress for that. The ground is like a sponge sucking up all the moisture that it can hold and then some. I can even handle 6 inches of snow. Did that at Evart. Just to let a few bambi chasers run though the woods. I feel like I am going to go INSANE!!!!! :coocoo: :yikes: :bang:

katoom125

Apr 25, 2004
I had a deer hunter block the trail (long lake in Cadillac) a few years back, the weekend BEFORE the Nov.15 hunting season. the crazy guy saw me coming where the trail crossed the 2 track - so he backed up blocking the trail (like I couldn't have just gone around him anyway), jumped out of his truck and grabbed a 2x4 out of the back. He stood in the trail like he was going to swing the 2x4 at me. I stopped close enough to ask him what his problem was (but still far enough away that he couldn't get a swing with the board). He said that I was riding illegally and didn't belong out there during deer season.

I reminded him that it was NOT deer season yet and I had every right to be on on this trail.
As he ranted and raved on and on about how I shouldn't be there, the other 4 guys that I was riding with, started showing up. he became a lot less brave when there were 5 of us and one of him. I also took my helmet off (as did the others) he had a shocked look on his face as he was probably expecting a bunch of "kids" and all of us were probably 15-20 years older than he was.

He started backtracking pretty good but still insisted that we were riding illegally. I explained that I volunteer patrol (ORV trails) for the U.S. Forest Service and was well aware of the laws and re-assured him that we were very legal.
He then commented that it wasn't right that we could use the trails (woods) all year long and he (as a deer hunter) only got 15 days in the woods. I said " you can use the woods all year as easily as us". He asks "hows that"?
I said why don't you get a bike and join us - you'd love it!

He got back in the truck and left - I'm sure that he still thinks we should have backed off and agreed to "give" him the woods to play in that weekend. (laugh)

Wolverine423

~SPONSOR~
Oct 2, 2005
AS an avid hunter too I feel it isn't to much to give up 15 days a year to the hunters when we have the other 350 days to ride.

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
You dont have to give up anything during riffle season. There is 24 hours in the day you know. Everyone asumes you can only ride during the daylight hours. But night riding is more fun than should be legal. Ive been out in the dark (no coments please) a few times in the last few weeks. Its a riot. And its TOTALY LEGAL!

By the time the sun sets all the deer hunters have retreated to BEER camp and the woods are ours once again. Saddle up and ride bro's. Heck I even have my 10 yr old kid riding with me now at night. He loves it.

It is technicaly legal to ride from 11:00am to 2:00pm but I say stay outta the woods. Let the hunters have those 2 weeks (during the day that is) but at night...Its on.

Wolf Child

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 30, 2005
Just ask Godzuki about the drawbacks to riding around deer season. :yikes: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

sneakattack.jpg

TJC510

Mi. Trail Riders
Oct 22, 2006
YZMAN400 said:
You dont have to give up anything during riffle season. There is 24 hours in the day you know. Everyone asumes you can only ride during the daylight hours. But night riding is more fun than should be legal. Ive been out in the dark (no coments please) a few times in the last few weeks. Its a riot. And its TOTALY LEGAL!

By the time the sun sets all the deer hunters have retreated to BEER camp and the woods are ours once again. Saddle up and ride bro's. Heck I even have my 10 yr old kid riding with me now at night. He loves it.

It is technicaly legal to ride from 11:00am to 2:00pm but I say stay outta the woods. Let the hunters have those 2 weeks (during the day that is) but at night...Its on.
theres no way i would go riding at night, not with my current headlight. i could piss in the snow and be able to see more. its got barely enough power to eluminate the headlight and the taillight filament. its run by 4 AA batteries.

my dads is almost the same. i think he has a 30 watt lighting coil that we had to jerry-rig to working at goshen because the wire broke at the coil.

i don't feel like risking getting shot at to go riding from 11am to 2pm in case something happens and can't get out of the woods, ill park my bike for 15 days thank you.

Orangewoods

Jul 25, 2005
There is something about gun season, Maybe it's just that so many people do it and it brings out all kinds of people. You always here about deer hunters that shoot other deer hunters because someone is in there blind or is sitting on a property line. To think that they will shoot there own kind. I was hunting years back on private land in the U.P had a drunk guy trying to tell me that I was in his blind at 10 after 5 in the morning. Of course I agreed with him and left. The state police found him sleeping 2 hours later in my blind when they arrived. They hauled him off. Our nieghbor came by later and tried to explain for his bothers friend or something like that. I try to stick to bow hunting early season now and just stay out of public land for 15 days during firearm season.

bruno670

Sep 13, 2006
Scary thought letting some of the kooks in this world have a high power weapon to roam freely throught the woods. 15 days of madness. Guys who years ago thought that deer were black and white with big utters hanging from their belly. Also I never seen a deer standing on 2 feet caring a gun with orange cloths. I had a friend 30 or so years ago who must have looked like a deer, cause he was shot by his hunting partner. He did live, went through his shoulder and out his back just above his collar bone.
With all the stories that I have read in this thread makes me wonder why they let these madmen loose to roam the woods. I know that not all of them are total nut-jobs, my son TJC510 was riding at Evart 2 years ago on the 13th of Nov. and his riding partner fouled a plug. One of the Orange wearers actually loaned them a rope to tow the bike out of the woods. But just the thought of what some of these guys are capable of scares the S**T out of me. It would be nice to give us a 50 mile loop that we can call all our own during this time. No guns. NO WACKOS. (except us) Just hours of riding time.

Wolverine423

~SPONSOR~
Oct 2, 2005
No different than the wacko nut jobs that feel the need to pit race through the staging areas while the trail is just 50yrds away......

silver

May 16, 2006
We as outdoor enthusists need to stick together no matter if you participate in the sport.If it involves the out of doors and you enjoy it then there is some whack job who wants to take it away.Dirt bikers need to sport hunters,hunters need to sport dirt bikers etc.The anti's love to see us all divided up makes there job easier.Some one needs to form an organization that supports all outdoor activities from hunting to dirt biking and every thing in between.I'm not a big fan of 4 wheelers but if they lose places to ride ,so will we and then it will go to snowmobiles etc etc.Mike

bruno670

Sep 13, 2006
Seem funny how a thread changes, I started out just with a itch in my pants wanting to ride and discouraged that it just happens to be hunting season. Where did the year go? This is the perfect riding weather. couldn't ask for a better day to just blow the leaves off the trail. Anyway, it's understandable that the deer hunters need to clean out the woods to keep the bambis off the hood of my truck. But it seems that this thread just went off on a weird tangent. Must of hit one of those hidden rocks or logs (like at Goshen) in the trail of threads.

woodsracer369

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 3, 2004
Bruno,
I can't agree more. Damn quads, that enduro is not the toughest and besides the DNR is just doing it to collect money.

WomanRider

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jul 19, 2006
I do not understand why Bruno670 is complaining about not being able to ride. I am his wife. Let me tell you his little secret.

On DEC 2, he will be riding a friend's bike(I think a WR450) in the WARM weather of Arizonia. I am jealous, since I must stay home and WORK.

I would like to ride too.

D.LEATHERS

Jun 28, 2002
Damn That Bruno, Sounds Like He Should Be Staying Home And Doing Some Wrenching On Momma's Bike. This Might Be A Good Excuse For Luann To Up-grade To A Newer/better Bike, Since She Is Planning On An Assault On The Womans Class For 2007???

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
D.LEATHERS said:
Damn That Bruno, Sounds Like He Should Be Staying Home And Doing Some Wrenching On Momma's Bike. This Might Be A Good Excuse For Luann To Up-grade To A Newer/better Bike, Since She Is Planning On An Assault On The Womans Class For 2007???

Uh oh......doe's this mean I need to put some go fast parts on Erin's XR 100??? Nah, I'll just taker her riding more. :cool:

WomanRider

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jul 19, 2006
Fred T said:
Uh oh......doe's this mean I need to put some go fast parts on Erin's XR 100??? Nah, I'll just taker her riding more. :cool:

Erin is 30 years younger than me. You do not need to do anything to the bike to give her anymore of an advantage than she already has. Unless I can find the fountain of youth.

WomanRider

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jul 19, 2006
Ted
You are correct. I do feel much younger since I started riding 3 years ago.

Also, The XR250 is getting its "fountain of youth" currently, with a bore, new piston, rings, and valves. Maybe the bike will feel younger too and I can make that assault on the womans class.

MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THIS THREAD found that hidden Goshen log AGAIN

D.LEATHERS

Jun 28, 2002
Luann,
Sounds Like I Jumped The Gun On Giving Bruno The Guilt Trip On Fixing Your Bike, My Bad!!! Must Be He's Turned Over A New Leaf, Maybe He's Not The Same Bruno I've Known For 25+ Years????
Dave L.

WomanRider

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jul 19, 2006
Dave.
He is not working on my bike. I did not want him to touch my 4stroke since he did not have luck fixing the 200 in the spring. I sent the bike to an old trusted friend in Greenville. Bruno still needs to fix the 200 though and he is GOING to ARIZONIA to have fun. So lay the guilt on him all you want. HE is the same old Bruno you have known for 25 years. Never work on the bike, until the night before the race.

bruno670

Sep 13, 2006
Jeeez , is this pick on Bruno thread? This thread musta slammed straight into a tree. no dodging the log or rock , Just head on !!!!!!!!

Top Bottom