o.k. we opened a can of worms about tranny oil

MARC

May 8, 2002
I knew it was going to happen but just couldnt resist. I opened the can of worms, and got what I expected, a bunch of I use this and I use that, (dont get me wrong I appreciate the input) along with, ATF is proven for jillions of miles, and you're a knucklehead if you use this or that kind of that crap, and a few let's talk smart after a couple of beers in-depth explanations, and gear oil is expensive garbage (if you cant afford the oil, you have no business buying a bike o.k.?), but got no good logical explanations as to why kawi is doing what they do. Last night I was looking for an explanation as to why the bike comes stock with gear oil in the tranny (see: whats the deal with the tranny oil) and after it is changed they say put regular motor oil in it. Maybe I just missworded myself and got alittle too excited but, this just doesnt make sense to me. I've never bought any type of recreational vehilce before that is that vauge about something that should be of critical importance. We are talking about oils that have VERY different formulations and additives, are made and meant for VERY different applications, and I find it hard to believe not using what the bike came with isnt causing some reliability issues. Kawi didnt just put gear oil in it at the factory just because thats all they had laying around that day, they did it for a reason. I put gear oil back in it, so what I'm looking for is, someone explain to me why they put gear oil in it at the factoy, and then dont recommend it after you change it.

agitt73

~SPONSOR~
May 11, 2000
use your faverate brand of 10w 40 regular or semi synthetic
but not full synthetic which will cause the clutch to slip

MARC

May 8, 2002
sorry, but still doesnt answer my question, although I dont doubt what you are saying. Again, appreciate the input.......

kdxtaz

~SPONSOR~
Mar 29, 2002
Maybe (this is just a maybe) they want a thicker or different kind of oil in there just for the break-in period, kinda like using engine assembly grease on a car's main bearings rather than motor oil. :think:

Lew

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 27, 2001
Marc;
I have read both of your threads, and your attitude toward the people of this forum is less than desirable. This is a forum with many many years of riding experience and people with great advise on your bike. I believe you are worring too much about your tranny and whats in it. Use what the manual states and you will be safe. Yes I think Kawi might put in gear oil because thats what they had sitting around?? Neither of my 2001 kdx's came with gear oil in them. I currently use a full quart of atf in both of them because thats what I want to do. Relax a little, enjoy this forum, and keep ridin that KDX
Lew

MARC

May 8, 2002
Lew, youre kidding yourself, dont believe everything you hear, if you only have that much faith in the Kawisaki product and actually believe they are using whats 'laying around', buy a Yamaha or a Honda, (or maybe a Harley) or get out of the rec. vehilcle dept. all together as they will sell you on anything. As for this forum, I've seen all I care to read, I'll go riding instead of gawking at the 17" monitor.

vandean

Feb 19, 2002
Just my 2 cents but where did you buy the bike Marc because I think maybe the dealer may have put it in there.I bought mine in the crate and I took it out of the crate myself and guess what, there wasn't a drop of oil in it.Plenty of coolant but ni GEAR oil.Maybe someone in Japan just forgot about mine and put gear oil in yours.Tight operation.Anyways I'm running Bel-Ray Gear saver oil in mine and so far so good,but that probably isn't good enough for you so keep running gear oil and maybe you could update us on whether or not your box freezes up.Don't see why it should but I don't see why they wouldn't have recommended it either.This coming from a mechanic I personally think gear oil is fine except for the fact that you have a wet clutch system.Do you know of any car that has a wet clutch transmission.Please enlighen me, and if so why don't you find out whether or not it uses Gear oil in it's transmission.Good Luck and enjoy riding!!

vandean

Feb 19, 2002
Oh and one last thing I forgot.If your that worried about what oil to use maybe you might try what I did and run it without any oil at all!!!!!!!!
Doesn't sound too good that way though.

vandean

Feb 19, 2002
Hey Marc ,I don't know if you've looked at the comments I made but try this one on for size.I was cleaning up my shop yesterday and I came across something that should reinforce what I was guessing at.
I totally forgat about it.
When I got my bike there was a big red tag on the handlebars that had big bold print on it.It read something like this " NO OIL in transmission.Please refer to owner's manual and fill with recommended fluid before operation."
Just thought that would answer any more questions about how that gear oil got in your gearbox.Any doubts.Leave me your address,I saved the card for you.I can mail it to you if you don't believe me.
Run Bel-ray gear saver,It's good oil!

jdbrusch

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2001
MARC,I was wondering if your bike came with gear oil eg.80-90w ment for differentials on automobiles if this is so it definately came with the wrong oil.These bikes are shipped to the dealer with dry tranny's it is the dealers themselves who have to fill the tranny.I bet you a 2 year old fouled spark plug with a broken electrode the bike was put together by either a shop helper or a parts driver who worked at the shop who may have put the wrong oil in by mistake,gear box -gear oil- sounds good.Most shops do not have the mechanics assemble the bikes out of the crate during the peak season because they are far to busy.I also find it hard to believe that you are questioning many of the people on this forum or even Kawasaki in regards to what oil to use in the tranny,Kawi states a 10w30,10w40 oil because it is a readily available oil that does the required job.I do not believe kawi markets its own oil and as a result will not endorse anyone elses product.The men and women on the forum are just trying to give you a suggestion on what they have had success with and found to work for them,I myself have over 17000 kilometers (off road only)on a completely stock tranny and clutch using a 50/50 mix of ATF and ?.I did some tryouts with different oils when I first bought the bike and found this worked good for me.Have you even gone to the dealer and asked what they would recommend in the bike.Even give Jeff Fredette a call he nows more about these bikes then anyone ,even kawi.You do not have to always go with the most expensive high tech product to get the best results.You do not seem to see that many autmobiles run ATF(ex. Ford Rangers, Mustangs,F series pickups Chevy Firebirds) in standard trannys as well as many foreign cars use 10w30 engine oil (ex.honda) in some of their cars.You have to think that Kawi would have a fair amount of warranty claims if they were recommending the wrong oil.If you are using a diff 80-90w oil I think you maybe the one standing at the parts counter with the long list of damaged parts.I have seen and heard of cars getting tranny oil replaced at the local quick lube with the wrong oil and have the tranny destroyed in less than a month.You may want to think about that because it is not a cheap mistake.Good luck.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
If one would care to venture out past the halls of this forum, they would find some very informative and enlightening information in other areas of this fine site. :)

basman

Mar 31, 2002
I AM NOT AN EXPERT BUT HAVE USE GEAR OIL AND MOTOR OIL WITH OUT ANY
PROBLEMS AT ALL THE MOTOR OIL SHOULD MAKE A LITTLE MORE HORSEPOWER
BECAUSE IT IS THINNER BASMAN

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
basman, I would probably be able to really rip if I use baby oil then, yes?

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Oh sorry - I just stumbled onto this thread thinking a heading like “Tranny-oil” was some kind of cross dressing forum thread but now I’m all disappointed.

Though it sounds like Jay is starting to spice things up.

I would probably be able to really rip if I use baby oil then,
:)

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Nuttin like a lil spice to go wiff a mans oil! Aye, m8? :)

MDA

May 27, 2002
Just to keep flogging this dead horse...

When I completed the break in on my 02KDX220 I went to my Kawasaki dealer's parts counter and asked what tranny oil they would recomend for my green machine. The guy at the counter said 80W Golden Spectro gear oil. It seemed to make sense (transmission gears - gear oil). Before changing the oil I consulted my manual. Sure enough, no 80W or equivalent recommended. I then searched this forum and actually found this thread and read all the opinions and feedback. I decided to then call the mechanics at the dealership directly. They said all new KDX's leave the shop with Kawasaki K40 (now branded M40) 10W40 oil, and that is what they recomended to continue using.

Sure enough, when I drained it... 10W40 came out. Boy am I glad I did not listen to the retard at the parts counter. He can use 80W in his bike if he wants to. Mine is getting good quality non-synthetic 10W40.

-Mark-

jeffg

Jul 5, 2000
MDA..how did you test the oil you drained to determine it was 10W-40? You do realize that the viscosity range for 80wt gear oil is just about in the middle of the range for 10W-40 crankcase oil? Gear oil and crankcase oil SAE viscosity grades are not equivalent. If you interpolate on the crankcase oil chart, 80wt gear oil would have about the viscous properties of a 25wt crankcase oil. A 10W-40 crankcase oil would be less viscous when cold and more viscous when hot compared to an 80wt gear oil.

jeffw

Nov 27, 2001
BRush, Lew

I tried but couldn't find anything offensive in MARC's remarks. He's just being subtle while pointing out that most are not actually answering a very specific question. But rather are just chiming in with an opinion that's off the topic.

Lew

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 27, 2001
jeffw;
It is not always what you say, but rather how it is said. I did not care for Marc's attitude toward the good people of this site.
Lew

Top Bottom